Should I clean new air rifle barrel

What do you use to polish the barrel?
and technically, polishing removes material, just a thought.
Polishing typically involves something in the range of 1000 grit or finer like J-B Bore Compound. Here’s a good discussion on the topic from a while back:

With such a fine abrasive, it would take hours and hours of scrubbing to remove even a ten-thousandth of an inch (0.0001”). All it’s doing is knocking down microscopic surface fretting that remains from dragging through the rifling button. It will do nothing meaningful for defects visible to the naked eye like reamer marks, scratches from a crowning pilots, etc.

Reactions: RAMJET66
Hi I keep hearing about this O Ring that can get dislodged when cleaning a barrel. Just where is this O Ring located i dont do much barrel cleaning but i am going to have to clean one when my Kral arrives.
Not one gun is build exactly the same as another.
Just remove any o-ring that could come into contact with cleaning products. Simple logics.
Personally I don't really care about that, if a o-ring becomes dry and/or is leaking air I just change it anyways.
I always buy at least one complete reseal kit along every new airgun. Saved myself a couple of unnessary headaches over the years.

Reactions: Firewalker
What do you use to polish the barrel?
and technically, polishing removes material, just a thought.

I sure hope so! It would be a waste of time it it did not.

The point is to remove or smooth any points/ridges/burrs/protrusions/ gall or chatter marks from the bore so that lead does not build up to obscure the pellet or slug.

I use JB paste followed by metal polish, clean to steel then use wax to fill voids, run a clean patch and fire away!

This method removes miniscule amounts of metal, undetectable with a veneer caliper.

Just remove any o-ring that could come into contact with cleaning products. Simple logics.
Personally I don't really care about that, if a o-ring becomes dry and/or is leaking air I just change it anyways.
I always buy at least one complete reseal kit along every new airgun. Saved myself a couple of unnessary headaches over the years.

I don't remove breech orings when cleaning and I use (GASP!) Hoppes #9 with reckless abandon!

I don't know where this old wives tail started about Hoppes #9 ruining orings but I did the 24 hour test with all my cleaning chems and Alphabet org & Balistol were the only ones I found to plump up an oring and none of my chess hurt an oring in the 24 hour soak.

Well i only clean the inside of the barrel. I really am unable to see how an O ring can reside inside the barrel. :)

• Wow
Reactions: Firewalker
Polishing typically involves something in the range of 1000 grit or finer like J-B Bore Compound. Here’s a good discussion on the topic from a while back:

With such a fine abrasive, it would take hours and hours of scrubbing to remove even a ten-thousandth of an inch (0.0001”). All it’s doing is knocking down microscopic surface fretting that remains from dragging through the rifling button. It will do nothing meaningful for defects visible to the naked eye like reamer marks, scratches from a crowning pilots, etc.
How about SemiChrome?
Well i only clean the inside of the barrel. I really am unable to see how an O ring can reside inside the barrel. :)
Most do have a sealing 0-ring just inside the breech, tons of fun to replace.

How about SemiChrome?
I have not used it myself but a search turns up some comments on knife forums indicating it’s for developing something closer to a mirror finish.

The phrase “polishing the bore” is perhaps misleading. I think smoothing is a better term. For that, we need an abrasive that will at least dull a polished surface.

I have not used it myself but a search turns up some comments on knife forums indicating it’s for developing something closer to a mirror finish.

The phrase “polishing the bore” is perhaps misleading. I think smoothing is a better term. For that, we need an abrasive that will at least dull a polished surface.
In a previous life I used a lot of the stuff to make things really shiny and very close fitting, given what I saw from Ernst that's where he headed.

Utter noob here. Well, at least with air rifles. I’ve shot powder guns all my life, and have a lot of experience cleaning them. However, cleaning my Marauder has me stumped. I’d rather not try to shove a patch from the muzzle end, and my bore snake’s weight is too long to drop in from the breach. I’ve seen kits that look like weed whip line that one pulls through, but wouldn’t the curve of the line become jammed in the baffles? Do I pull them out first? Ideas? Thanks!

Reactions: MysticalDragon
Utter noob here. Well, at least with air rifles. I’ve shot powder guns all my life, and have a lot of experience cleaning them. However, cleaning my Marauder has me stumped. I’d rather not try to shove a patch from the muzzle end, and my bore snake’s weight is too long to drop in from the breach. I’ve seen kits that look like weed whip line that one pulls through, but wouldn’t the curve of the line become jammed in the baffles? Do I pull them out first? Ideas? Thanks!
The PatchWorm kits are great. Just remove the baffles or use a drinking straw to feed the line through the baffles