• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Should I clean new air rifle barrel

So I just got my replacement air Venturi avenger, because my first would not group to save its life. So my question is should I clean the barrel before I even shoot the first round through it, and if so what do you guys use that is oring safe toy clean barrels. Also should I clean with barrel on the gun or disassemble my rifle and remove the barrel and take the o ring out of it while cleaning? Thanks for the help.

The bore of virtually all mass-produced guns will have a heavy oil or cosmoline in it. Definitely clean it first with something like a pull-through with cotton patches lightly moistened with something like Hoppes #9, WD-40, Ballistol, Goo-gone, or any of the myriad of cleaning solvents available. Regarding a breech O-ring, 99% of the time it will be Buna-N which is resistant to anything that has any business being used as a cleaning solvent. About the only thing most people would have on the shelf that should not be used are things in the ketone family like acetone or methyl ethyl ketone (MEK).

Clean it!

That way you'll start with both a known quantity and known quality. If it was dirty when you first shot it, then you can blame it for all the misses. If it's rough, then then you get to blame it, then lap it and bask in all the self-induced glory you've earned as the accuracy improved. If it's glass-smooth, that means you paid enough money for the well-deserved quality that you have right there in your hand.

J~

Reactions: Dohaire93
Dohaire,
Most use Ballistol and PatchWorm for barrel cleaning and removing rust-preventative coating is recommended. Watch AEAC (Steve's) video on barrel cleaning with these products, very helpful. WM
Good advice here. Also turn the rifle upside down so the Ballistol doesn't get into the transfer port. Pull dry patches to remove any Ballistol in the barrel.

So I just got my replacement air Venturi avenger, because my first would not group to save its life. So my question is should I clean the barrel before I even shoot the first round through it, and if so what do you guys use that is oring safe toy clean barrels. Also should I clean with barrel on the gun or disassemble my rifle and remove the barrel and take the o ring out of it while cleaning? Thanks for the help.
Hi I keep hearing about this O Ring that can get dislodged when cleaning a barrel. Just where is this O Ring located i dont do much barrel cleaning but i am going to have to clean one when my Kral arrives.