Should i buy a new or used air arms pro sport?

I've decided my final air rifle will be a air arms pro sport. The question is though .. should I buy it brand new with the 3 year warranty or buy a used one?. Brand new cost £950 and used ones I can find for around £680. Either way its a lot of money for a springer when I remember pro sport used to cost £500 a few years ago.
Might aswell buy one now before prices keep increasing .
Should I get used or brand new? Il take in the replies and make my choice. Or should I just get the tx200 hc instead

Last edited:
Personally, if this is rifle u have coverted for a long time (for me it the HW97KT) then I’d say buy your self a new one. It will be yours and yours alone, and u can own it for ever and you’ll know exactly what it’s been through, it’s history, how many pellets it’s shot etc…
But that’s just me 😂

@sherz - Nice choice for a rifle! Have you shot a Pro Sport before? They are a great rifle, very heavy, very accurate. My .22 Pro Sport makes my .177 TX200 seem light as a sapling.

I suggest trying one before purchasing the rifle. The cocking arm takes some getting used to. Mine was an FAC model and the first thing I did was to install a TbT short stroke kit. The rifle now shoots at 11 fpe and change and is much more enjoyable to cock and shoot.

Definitely a unique rifle but a bit unorthodox when compared to others.

Reactions: peebrainz
It is on my list also , used , Lefty if i can find it .

Lefty:

Get the 12 lb version. Not the FAC.

I wish I would have bought mine from here instead of from PA. It looks like they'll ship them here.

I had a Pro Sport for over 25 years and it is clearly the best spring air rifle currently available. The HWs are great and so is the TX200 but the Pro sport has much better balance for offhand shooting. It's power plant and trigger are the same as the TX 200 so it is reasonably easy to service and several tune kits, springs,etc are available so a good used one would be fine.
Rick B.

Reactions: fishing43
Agree on the 12 fpe. My TX200 went from being an accurate but hold sensitive rifle at 17 fpe to simply an accurate rifle at 12.5 fpe. It seems to me that if you’re buying a TX or a ProSport that accuracy is likely your #1 priority and if you really want those few extra foot pounds you should probably get a Diana54 instead.
The TX and ProSport both need a tune. I used the stock spring, vortek piston seal and the TbT guide kit on my TX200 .177, it shoots at 13 fpe now and loves the AA/JSB 10.3

@sherz - Nice choice for a rifle! Have you shot a Pro Sport before? They are a great rifle, very heavy, very accurate. My .22 Pro Sport makes my .177 TX200 seem light as a sapling.

I suggest trying one before purchasing the rifle. The cocking arm takes some getting used to. Mine was an FAC model and the first thing I did was to install a TbT short stroke kit. The rifle now shoots at 11 fpe and change and is much more enjoyable to cock and shoot.

Agreed on all points. I always thought it was odd that the gun is so big and heavy and only has like a 9” (iirc) barrel.

these posts are interesting
the poster of the thread stated prices in pound and the reason is he lives in London and with the UK power levels he will be getting a 12lb- rifle unless he has a FAC
the biggest problem with the Pro Sport is their price has sky high, a new walnut at PA is a GRAND and in the UK 1100.00 to 1200.00

so, used does have its benefits

these posts are interesting
the poster of the thread stated prices in pound and the reason is he lives in London and with the UK power levels he will be getting a 12lb- rifle unless he has a FAC
the biggest problem with the Pro Sport is their price has sky high, a new walnut at PA is a GRAND and in the UK 1100.00 to 1200.00

so, used does have its benefits
I noticed that he was from the UK, but I figured that someone that’s considering paying £1000+ might also be considering an FAC and would probably at least like to know that the 12 fpe variant is as good or better than the FAC version.

I was considering the same thing a few months ago but never saw a used one come up. I guess it depends on how patient you are, I wasn't very patient and ordered a new walnut prosport from PA. The price is ridiculous but it isn't getting any cheaper..lol.
Never considered the warranty, as I completely disassembled mine within a week or so. I'm using the full power spring with custom guides I made and different lube. After getting used to it I can cock mine for a 100 shots no problem. I may try a softer JM spring at some point, but for now I like it as is, and plenty accurate.
If you can save several hundred dollars on a nice used one, I would say go for it.

Can't say whether new or used is the best choice, but I am confident that you'll be very happy with a pro sport. Mine in .177 is my most accurate spring gun and a real pleasure to shoot. 12fpe is the sweet spot for these guns.
R
I'm limited to 12ft/lb , I already have a .177 hw77k so I wanted my final rifle to be a .22 air rifle so I get the best of both worlds

I've used a tx200hc so I know how they can feel heavy very quickly but I'm not a hard-core Shooter I just shoot sometimes. I bought a hw77k last month and haven't used it yet. So I don't think the pro sport will be a issue.