Should I be practical about this?

Ok I think this may be a cry for help! Not long ago I did a little horse trading with another GTA member who is local to me. I ended up with 2 very nice older pcp rifles. 1 is a low serial number (SN-0098-US) American built Theoben Rapid 7 MKII in .25. The other is a low numbered (SN-HM0166) RAW HM1000 in .22. Both guns are unregulated, have great triggers and are extremely accurate.Needless to say I was very pleased with the trade as was the other member. Sounds good so far.

Now here is the issue I am having. I live in town and do 99% of my shooting at 20 yards or less with the bulk of that at 10 yards indoors. .177 and .22 are quite adequate at this yardage and is less expensive than the .25 which is definitley overkill. 

Now my practical side (which rarely rears its ugly head) says trade the Theoben for that european bullpup you have been wanting (there are several I would consider) and live happily ever after. I know there are people who are going to say keep it and save for the bullpup but that will be difficult as my wife has recently become disabled and our income has been cut in half so spending money on a new pcp is not likely. My ahooting partner has an Evanix in .25 and an FX Boss so I can still shoot the larger calibers if the need/oppurtunity presents itself.

I have traded or sold several airguns that I regret letting go and am not sure if trading this legendary classic for something else is something I will once again regret. 

Well thanks for letting me rant, I feel better already! If you are so inclined let me know what you think.

Gipper

90% twenty yards are less......um,yes indeed rethink your position.The real thing is want and need,plus the psychology of escape.

Forget-about-it,get real and trade for a real 10meter target rifle and pistol....push yourself to become a great 10 meter shooter and 20 meters will follow....you do not need power;well will power,LOL...just saying.,I hope you know I am sorting of being philosophical,which I know is no fun..

90% twenty yards are less......um,yes indeed rethink your position.The real thing is want and need,plus the psychology of escape.

Forget-about-it,get real and trade for a real 10meter target rifle and pistol....push yourself to become a great 10 meter shooter and 20 meters will follow....you do not need power;well will power,LOL...just saying.,I hope you know I am sorting of being philosophical,which I know is no fun..

Actually you make a very valid point about a 10m rifle and working on my shooting. This is a big heavy rifle and I shoot it strictly off a bench. You definitley gave me something else to think about, thank you (I think 🤔)

Brian

Ok then, i have some input sense you brought up the Royale. If i could only have one rifle, that would be it!

I received mine a month ago and don't use any of my other rifles. Got rid of my beloved Huntsman Regal and have no regrets. 

I did a little porting on the power adjuster. Level one is now 13 fpe. Level 2 is 23 fpe. Both with cheap crosman 14 grain which shoot exceptionally accurate at those power levels. And level 3 at 34 fpe with 18 grain jsb. I just don't pick the others up anymore. It really is an all in one gun with tons of shots per fill. To say im pleased is an understatement. I think the crown will phase the royale out. If you have the urge, nows the time.

Did that help?

Oh, and a barrel and probe will turn it into a 177 quite easily.

If it was me I’d send AZ the Theoben and have him convert it into a .177 or a .20, add a regulator and his full shroud. You would have a rifle that’s built like a tank, incredibly accurate and whisper quiet. Just my opinion because I have one! The group is 100 yards .
1564921597_21132308845d46cefd752144.99151329_B9C51327-09CC-4166-972D-ACC46B8CBE38.jpeg
1564921649_3718975885d46cf31d2e667.47391390_9DEA6F48-E0FF-4742-A1B8-9F71E286458E.jpeg

If 99% of your shooting occurs at under 20 yards, you don't need 2 rifles. I'd be doing a lot of pistol shooting. Of course, I wish I had both those guns. And I'd struggle to part with them. But. 

If you want to keep it, keep it. If you want to trade it, trade it. If you want to get a bullpup, get it. But don't waste time over spilled milk.

Ok then, i have some input sense you brought up the Royale. If i could only have one rifle, that would be it!

I received mine a month ago and don't use any of my other rifles. Got rid of my beloved Huntsman Regal and have no regrets. 

I did a little porting on the power adjuster. Level one is now 13 fpe. Level 2 is 23 fpe. Both with cheap crosman 14 grain which shoot exceptionally accurate at those power levels. And level 3 at 34 fpe with 18 grain jsb. I just don't pick the others up anymore. It really is an all in one gun with tons of shots per fill. To say im pleased is an understatement. I think the crown will phase the royale out. If you have the urge, nows the time.

Did that help?

Oh, and a barrel and probe will turn it into a 177 quite easily.

It helps in reinforcing my thoughts that a 400 is a rifle I would like to own. The ability to change calibers is not something I am really concerned about though. I do have a very nice BSA R10 MKII in .177 that covers that caliber for me, but thanks for the info.

If 99% of your shooting occurs at under 20 yards, you don't need 2 rifles. I'd be doing a lot of pistol shooting. Of course, I wish I had both those guns. And I'd struggle to part with them. But. 

If you want to keep it, keep it. If you want to trade it, trade it. If you want to get a bullpup, get it. But don't waste time over spilled milk.

Not sure I follow your logic on the 20 yard 1 gun statement. If 1 is sufficient for 20 yards how many should I have if I was someone who routinely shoots 100 yards?

I’ve been waiting for a Theoben to come up for sale in Canada for two years . I’ve only seen one for sale and the owner wanted every penny back for his investment and then some . 

The advise to change calibers to something in a smaller caliber might be the best choice . I’ve got gun envy real bad right now . What a beautiful rifle .

Thank you. I agree with you about not seeing them for sale very often, makes it hard for me to even place a value on it. I know when new they were in the same price range as many current higher end rifles. I am not even sure how old this rifle is but I suspect it was made during the 1st year of USA production based on the serial number.

Not sure I follow your logic on the 20 yard 1 gun statement. If 1 is sufficient for 20 yards how many should I have if I was someone who routinely shoots 100 yards?

I think all I was saying is that with extremely accurate and easy to use long guns, I don't find myself challenged at all at those distances. So, I'd likely find myself shooting pistol a lot more, though I prefer rifles. You've got two guns that can barely stretch their legs. Almost seems a shame. But all that counts, at the end of the day, is that you enjoy shooting them 🙂 I would trade the rapid for a nice target pistol, though. 

I was thinking of saying the same thing;get an accurate pistol,I agree that shooting 20 yds. with a rifle posses little challenge compared to a pistol,even when you shoot the pistol off "the bench";;;;

Gipper you are a good sport and your guitar is prettier than most rifles,I wonder if you are a guitar junkie to ,LOL...

It sure sounds like you have many great air rifles,also sounds like you had the means,butt now you need to slow down and make choices that really matter...I can relate.You ask us,butt I think you need to Hit the pause Button ...Don't do anything ,play some Blues and ask yourself "What would really make me happy"?

I think all I was saying is that with extremely accurate and easy to use long guns, I don't find myself challenged at all at those distances. So, I'd likely find myself shooting pistol a lot more, though I prefer rifles. You've got two guns that can barely stretch their legs. Almost seems a shame. But all that counts, at the end of the day, is that you enjoy shooting them
1f642.svg
I would trade the rapid for a nice target pistol, though.

Ok, that makes more sense to me now and is a valid point. Also it isnt like I dont enjoy shooting it so there really is not a downside to keeping it, was just wondering if there is more of an upside in turning into something else and I can see where turning it into a high end pistol could be an upside. Defintley more food for thought, thanks.

I was thinking of saying the same thing;get an accurate pistol,I agree that shooting 20 yds. with a rifle posses little challenge compared to a pistol,even when you shoot the pistol off "the bench";;;;

Gipper you are a good sport and your guitar is prettier than most rifles,I wonder if you are a guitar junkie to ,LOL...

It sure sounds like you have many great air rifles,also sounds like you had the means,butt now you need to slow down and make choices that really matter...I can relate.You ask us,butt I think you need to Hit the pause Button ...Don't do anything ,play some Blues and ask yourself "What would really make me happy"?

Thanks for the compliment on the guitar, but it is not mine. I did build the body for it though for a client in Ireland. Been building guitar bodies for folks for many years and have shipped them all over the world and on occasion build whole guitars. Here is another I just finished yesterday.
1564941285_20307523915d471be5cd4fb9.36619957_20190729_195307_resize_15.jpg

And again you are right about me being fortunate enough to have several nice airguns, I do not take that for granted as I know many here have more important priorities in thier lives. I do appreciate all the suggestions and do apologize if I appeared otherwise. I am in no hurry to do anything at the moment which for me is rare! Just getting to that age and place in life where things have to be more sensible. I don't like it to much but I understand it.