• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Should have never bought a Dedal... what to do now

Folks, we have a problem.... Or I do. My taste has been subverted.....

I have been rather happy with my Athlon and Vortex scopes... But i was foolish and bought a Dedal Stalker...And now.... damn, lol

Does anyone know of a brand that makes scopes as tough (one piece style or close to it) but that has a higher variable magnification with illumination. I am thinking maybe nightforce? but i know very little about them and their models...

The dedal other then the fixed magnificatoin, is a phenominal scope. Glass, structure, lighting...

Scope use will be for a .22 to .30 cal. Likewise it will be mainly for hikes, camping and light hunting. Not bench rest. 25 - 100 yards....

The Nightforce is a heavy scope like 2 pounds for the SHV 4-20x56 illuminated. Probably durable but I'd look into a Leupold instead if i were you since you mention hiking and camping and light hunting to keep the weight low. I don't know of any other brand than Leupold for light weight super duper bright and clear glass and it's overall toughness and reliability. I know shooters who fell big time with their rifles and their Leupolds were fine. Yo!

The Nightforce is a heavy scope like 2 pounds for the SHV 4-20x56 illuminated. Probably durable but I'd look into a Leupold instead if i were you since you mention hiking and camping and light hunting to keep the weight low. I don't know of any other brand than Leupold for light weight super duper bright and clear glass and it's overall toughness and reliability. I know shooters who fell big time with their rifles and their Leupolds were fine. Yo!

Thank you for that update.

I'm very happy with my Athlon Helos 1-4.5x24 variable, and part of that is it has a side focus that goes down to 10Y, as well as it's illuminated to almost daylight bright. It has a large ring in the reticle for picking up quick, and a small center dot for precision, also holdover and holdoff hashes. The glass is nice in it and I'm a bit picky about this aspect, better glass than in my $1100 Burris XTR2 1-8. You'll never get lost in elevation because the turret is single turn and stops at 25 moa, and it has a zero stop. 

If I buy a Leshy 2 I plan on putting this scope on it but right now it's on my 350 Legend upper. Friends shot it yesterday and liked the scope.

Correction. I was looking at Swarovski scopes not Schmidt Bender. For example these Z5i are in the 17 ounce range. Not too cheap at around $1,500, but usually when you go smaller with good magnification and light weight with good glass, things get a little more expensive.

Swarovski Z5i 2.4-12x50 BT - 4W-I

Illuminated 4W-I Reticle - 1" Tube

Item: 69771

Condition: NEW

Stock Key: 1

Swarovski Specifications Quick Review
magnification range: 2.4X to 12X
scope weight: 17.7 ounces
field of view: 45.9ft - 9ft @ 100 yds
scope finish: matte black

What’s wrong with a fixed 6X? For the purpose you describe I would recommend the Stalker to anyone.

That said the Leupold 3-9 EFR with custom Mil reticle and turrets is a very appealing scope.

Personally I have chosen the Stalker.

Absolutely nothing is wrong. I love it on my leshiy

i love the scope period. I am going to try and put together a hiking package that’s a little stronger in FPS /FPE. And maybe put stronger magnification. I am defiantly considering another stalker. But I will say with my eyes getting worse. FFP scopes at higher mag have been a God send lol.

Lots of discussion on the 3-12 FFP scopes that are becoming available from multiple sources. I picked up a US Optics TS 12 back when they were on promo pricing. I have it on my .25 Lelya 2.0. I had a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 on it before. The Nightforce is very good but heavy and changes the feel of a compact gun too much.

Much too early for me to recommend the TS 12 but so far so good.

The SWFA fixed 10X is a winner. It is not quite as compact but quite good for your stated purpose.