Shot something you shouldn’t???

I’m thinking we all have but most are probably not as big of a DA as me. I don’t think I’m alone in sometimes wanting to shoot from inside the house to outside when the weather stinks right ?? Ok but I may be alone in being stupid enough to accidentally shoot the window instead of the target ?? Anyone else ever have any complete District Attorney (DA) moments when shooting ?

Why did you have to remind me of that, it was back in the mid 60's. I was playing sick from school and seen a bird in the backyard. I loaded the gun inside of the house but before I could take shot off it flew away, I turned around and one was in the front yard in the tree so forgetting I had loaded it weeeeeeeeeeeeell lets just say I couldn't have made a better shot DEAD CENTER of a 6x6 ft. plate glass window. Ask me how a blue web air force belt feels I think I even got the buckle end. Dang sister told on me. BTW it one of those 30-30 looking BB guns.

■ 3x shot the same window frame (with my first gun... — forgetting that the barrel sits a couple of inches lower than the scope).

■ 1x shot the window (forgot to open it)
(After killing the window, and recovering from the shock, I reloaded — and killed my quarry with a second shot.) 💪🏼

This is a running list. There is no telling what I will hit next... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Matthias

Last edited:
Yep. Had a couple of cheeky chipmunks several years ago that I only seemed to have a shot at when I was inside. I sat with my scoped Mrod a few feet inside the open window. Dang me! Physics is a harsh mistress. Not only did I punch a hole in the frame for the sliding screen, but those blankety-blanking chipmunks never let me at them from that vantage again. I closed it up and put everything away. When my wife discovered it she blamed the dog! The dog got some extra love from me though.

When i was a teenager, My dad had a crossman 760 pumpmaster he used for rabbits in the yard. One day, i see a rabbit on the crest of the hill between our property and our neighbors. I didn't think about if i missed...didn't think about a backstop .. didn't think at all. Pumped it up 10x and took aim. The bb sailed just over it's head and then i here a "Tink". I shot a hole through my neighbors plate glass sliding door. Confessed right away and let the neighbor know what i did and that i would pay for damages. It was then that her husband came home and slammed the door as he entered the house. The vibrations from him slamming the door was enough to shatter the window into a thousand shards of glass. Very fortunate that no one was harmed or injured ..except the whooping i got from my dad when he came home. Took me months of chores to work that one off
Always check your backstop
Mike

This story come out at my dad's funeral!
Over 55yrs ago, my brother was out with dad shooting snow white rabbits......My brother just a young kid, shot the antenna clean off the truck.......All these years this story was kept quiet: What I do remember from this incident is, the next early morning, dad coming in the house with a cleanly cutoff antenna yelling "mom, look some somebitch just cut the antenna off my truck with a pair of side cutters and left it laying on the hood". :LOL:

1961 just got my drivers lic. and just got my new /used BB gun ask my dad if i could drive to my buddy's house a two blocks away . OMG. he said yes !!!
so i got in the car , adjusted the seat and started to back out of the garage .(yes i had opened the garage door . unfortunately i didn't close the drivers door .
My reactions were so i didn't damage the door , but
wow Dad never let me live that down .

I’m thinking we all have but most are probably not as big of a DA as me. I don’t think I’m alone in sometimes wanting to shoot from inside the house to outside when the weather stinks right ?? Ok but I may be alone in being stupid enough to accidentally shoot the window instead of the target ?? Anyone else ever have any complete District Attorney (DA) moments when shooting ?
Hazard(s) of a guest shooter.... notice the tiny hole lower right side in the vinyl frame. Arghhh.
IMG_7370.jpeg

Hazard(s) of a guest shooter....
Know what you mean there.

Had a guest shooter over a while back. Army veteran. Told me he qualified as Marksman etc etc.
He touched off a round before he was even settled in on the bags.
Inside my head I screamed 'WTF is your finger doing on the trigger when you're not even ready to shoot?!'
Luckily the pellet went out the open window but where I have no idea.

That was to be his final and only invite 😒

Not airgun related, but some years back my brother arrowed a squirrel running along a telephone wire in his back yard with a field point. It didn’t knock it off the wire, it kept on running. A genuine Oh $hit moment. I don’t think his city even allows slingshots, not to mention archery.

yep I shot myself in the knee while closing a break barrel gun that unknown to me had a faulty trigger sear😬

And while out shooting with my mate in my 4x4 he took aim at a rabbit about 25yards away and missed, confused he loaded up again, took another shot and missed again🤔 …… just before he took his third shot I noticed two holes in my wing mirror🤬🤬🤬

Bb

Another "barrel is lower than scope view" story... Several years ago at my mother-in-laws home, an over population of red squirrels needed to be addressed. I stepped up and kept one of my .22 break barrel guns + ammo stowed in another room in her home for her adult son to use whenever I wasn't there.
Got a phone text from bro in law one day.... "shot the railing on the porch - missed the squirrel" :rolleyes: I immediately called him for explanation and he said the squirrel was on the trunk of the tree closest to the house and he aimed out the back door.... with a clear sight picture of the varmint ;) and squeezed off the shot only to his amazement of the sound of the pellet entering the composite top railing of the porch!
He passed in 2020 of a heart attack and to this day that hole remains... I've wanted to patch it using white MarineTex epoxy but my wife won't allow me.. as it is a "fond" memory of her brother while he was with us.

I’m guilty of shooting out my dining room window, I was shooting from the table at targets and had closed the window and went out to look at the targets.
When I came back in I loaded the TalonP and the phone rang, so I carefully aimed the pistol at the target and shot the window out.
Stunning accident, and it made me realize two things, it was good to be aware of discharging the weapon in a safe direction, and that I shouldn’t ever have windows that clean!

Never.
Or maybe not, once my friend shot his .22 Cutlass at the earth berm at 25 M, but the pellet came strait back and hit the back wall in our old shot shed.
Very easy to hear as the back and side walls are corrugated metal, we was sitting in the R side of the shed opening, so it passed in the empty half to our left.

I still do not get how a 45 - 55 degree slanted fairly loose sand berm can return a shot like that, okay there are stones in the sand there too, mostly the size of 2 - 5 dices, but not really many of them.
And sice then we have shot to there a ton, and at least me targeting little stones, and at best i crack the stone if it is flint or i get the pewwww of the ricochet as it zoom off i assume up and further out back if i nick one of the larger ones.