• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shot out targets used for FT

Skip,

If the targets are Gamo then Calvin at Quality Targets can make you replacement paddles. They come flat and I had to drill the holes and bend them but they work well and are a drop it replacement. Price is reasonable. Our Gamo targets have held up well but if you use reducers the shots get concentrated in one spot and even 20 fp guns will beat them up in time. I also re-flatten the paddles faces using a hammer and anvil from time to time as they do get cupped.

PM me if you have any questions or catch me at a match. Greg put me onto this so he has replaced paddles too.

Rick, FTRPA

I have 2 choices. Cut the paddle off and weld on a new one, tack weld a new disc over the old one. No idea which is the best option. I have a friend here that can do either.

easiest way - Remove paddle and: If cupped, pound flat. If perforated, use an oxy-acetylene welder and filler rod to repair the perforation. That's how I do it. 

I just made 20 paddles. I used a hack saw and bench grinder. Made from 1/8" x2" plate. Not hard but labor intensive. Oh you also need a bench vise and big crescent to make the twist and a drill for the two holes.

I made 20 targets ready to introduce field target to our club soon as it warms up.

How do the clubs hold the targets in place? I am thinking of using 16x8x2 inch pavers. I don't like the idea of using clamps and want to leave the pavers on the course only taking in the actual traps. any ideas on mounting? JCS

Clamps were convenient for a TN State match some years back. Smaller 4x8x16" concrete blocks and clamps with block staying in place. Most targets, except those strapped to trees were clamped left and just moved a bit between shoots. 

Please get back to us with pictures of whatever everything you work out.

TN State Field Target match 2013 130.1616374199.jpg

TN State Field Target match 2013 131.1616374231.jpg

John

Everybody has their own system of setting/fastening targets. I started out just steaking them to the ground. Now we use patio bolts with anchor bolts inserted and screw targets down with a wing nut. Also have concrete bases with 1/4-20 anchor bolts installed. We built wooden platforms also with 1/4-20 studs for tree mounting. Lots of ways to do it.

Rick

Years back the club I belonged to made rectangular molds to pour concrete into for target bases. Add 4 studs at a set spacing, then after casting you had threaded studs to attach your targets to. Molds were made from plywood and also some plastic rectangular containers that had 4 holes added for stud placement before casting. We made up 10 molds, had a Saturday casting day. Following Saturday we did it again. Before you knew it we had 60 concrete bases. Only real cost was for some threaded rod, wing nuts and bags of concrete.

Hi Guys, Is there somewhere to find what yardages the different size kill zones are set? I plan to set them at any range from 10 to 55 yards but should start the early shoots with the targets set with the smallest at 10 and progressively to the biggest at 55 yards. Also plan on having a bonus target, maybe 1/2" KZ at 55 yards.

Also I dont know how others handle repeater rifles. Does everyone have to load single shot or can you shoot your targets and then pull the magazine? JCS