• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Shot a 12oz Can 1/5th of a Mile with FX Crown .22

Yep, I broke a personal long range record this weekend and shot a 12oz can of that infamous Orange Fanta at 330m/360y. I didn't get the shot on video, since my fancy new GoPro setup baked in the sun in the waterproof SideShot case and depleted my one battery..

1564993147_15949896545d47e67b9d6f50.42414791_3F27FB39-06FF-44F4-85AA-797780ECBEB7.jpeg

I wound up setting up my 13x10' tarp and shooting off of my mat afterwards. The sun was just too brutal!

It took me 3 mags and 2 shots from the 4th mag, but I finally got it. Here's the (and I stress this in my most cynical voice) "best" part - the ammo that I used was terrible. I had recently received a large order of slugs from my vendor. There were two shipments, and the bags broke in transit both times. I had been too busy to inspect the second shipment, but not nearly as many had fallen out of that one (it was packed much better with packing materials, which limited the amount of ammo that could fall out of the busted seam). 

Totaly set myself up for failure - I was rushed the night before to get my gear ready. I took a couple hundred of the 30 grainers out of the bag from the second shipment and cleaned / lubed them on my back porch at night. The next morning, I rushed down to my regular shooting spot to get there before someone else snagged it (on public land in the mountains and hour and a half down the road). I quickly established my spot, then setup my 40m and 100m targets, and then traversed some pretty nasty terrain on the far hill to setup my main objective on a tree stump. 

1564993066_2343962625d47e62a6b5021.88041873_AE70FACD-FCAA-45AC-82A1-F902F27FFB69.png

I get back to my shooting spot, get the Crown on my new bipod, and grabbed my ammo and magazines. I index the first one and notice the corners of the (flat) base are dented. I ejected it and started to load another one and I noticed that it was oval! I continue loading the magazine like a robot on autopilot - tossing the gouged ones to the side, but when I finished loading - the entire magazine is full of slugs with oblong bases. I probably had to toss 2:1 to the side because dents in them. I was fuming - realizing that I did all of this work and only had a couple hundred damaged slugs and a couple of tins of 18gr AA pellets. 

I fiddled with my GoPro for ~20 minutes and couldn't quite get the focus setup outside of the reticle. Decided to start shooting. and did a quick zero at 40m with the slugs, and tried to verify my DOPE at 100m. My groups were 4-6" - normally a ragged hole. I'd get 2-3 within 1/2" and the other would be random. I said what the hell, and got as comfortable as I could knowing that an already hard shot might take me a while 🙃 

Around 1/3 of my shots were still landing within 18" of the target. Some were low, some left, some right. The wind was completely nonexistent until I took aim at the 12oz can, and it kicked up like clockwork - variable from my rear. I saw more dust kicking up towards the left side of the can on the 3rd mag, so decided to hold over 1.2 mils and just shoot. I had probably 6 shots left before I had to fill air again, and said screw it and loading the next magazine. Finally, on the second shot I watched the can explode.

Afterwards, I took my 700mm barrel off and shot the 18gr out of my 380mm barrel for the remainder of the day as my GoPro recharged at a snails pace. On my drive home, I realized this was the furthest target that I've shot with a PCP! 1/5th of a mile at that, pretty nut 👀

Have watched your videos and am constantly amazed. Congrats on your hard earned success and many thanks for sharing. As a pellet pusher, I have had limited experience with slugs. Always found it easier to use a rimfire or CF for long distance varminting. However, you are making me a believer.

Question: Is your slug barrel a rimfire or CF firearm barrel? For example, is it a .224 CF barrel that uses .224 or .225 (solid lead projectiles are often slightly larger than groove size) slugs? Is it a RF barrel with sized slugs? Or is it a different kind of airgun barrel?

Curious minds want to know! THX

Freaking awesome shooting mtnGhost!

Thanks Terry!

Awesome shooting ghost, and with .22 cal makes it even more impressive. I just came in from my morning shoot with the Boss. Getting ready to post up just as soon as I wipe all the sweat off. Oh, and I love FX's synthetic stocks!

Peace and Orange Fanta Greased

Fuss

Haha, thanks Fuss! These synthetic stocks are awesome.. very light, comfortable, and they just look mean! 

Wow thank you for sharing with us that's awesome
1f44f.svg
I just got my slugs and new yellow jacket
1f41d.svg
am going to test out a lot of different slugs and see if it's worth doing with the crown or leave it to the big brother mark2. But this gives us a good idea that it's going to work out. Thank you again.

Ohh yeah, it's capable of some pretty amazing things! I'm blown away at the accuracy and power, simply amazing for what it is! How are you liking the Yellowjacket btw? I ordered one from FX recently, haven't seen shipping yet though - I figured I'd get one in advance if EBR to get an extra drop of stability 😎 

@JW652, I'm just using the factory FX 700mm slug liner in .217!

I
1565024516_12561869265d4861045474b1.41501035_5BD266B8-A380-4F1C-8A76-5DF0BACC3D7A.jpeg

i absolutely love it I just got it Saturday and I can't believe the change from my 1st gen crown to this one it's day and night different between the new barrels being lighter by a pound and new amp reg and stuff like that it's a tac driver am super happy so far Kin Hicks tuned it for me hope you get yours soon to see.

That look amazing! FX will probably ship my STOCK this week. Have you by chance weighed your rifle? I'm wondering how much the laminate stocks weigh 🤔 

Nice bro! And not nice. I am all too familiar with the bag of oblong slugs lol. A real day ruiner. Glad u were able to have fun with it anyway!

Thank you sir! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all of this bunk ammo. It could be the final nudge that I needed to get my .217 molds. At least I'd have a good head start on lead preparation.. considering, I bought 4,000 slugs in this order 😤

I would think the vendor would replace the ammo if asked. Thats why shipping insurance exists :). We had to send back some slugs as well, if they are oblong, they just plain are not gonna shoot.

Yeah man, without precision ammo - what's the point?!

H&N is ramping production on their slugs this month. There's the obvious logistical lead times before they're on the shelves, but it'll be nice to have some options. Won't stop me from getting my dies made, that'll be the last thing I need for complete independence once and for all! 🤘🇺🇸🤘

Ghost I did not mean to cast anything contrary to what it is ,awesome shooting, that takes a whole lot of ..., well the list goes on. Someone else could shoot a hundred or two and never even come close.

No worries! I appreciate the kind words. It took more than a few to hit it that day. I'm still very bummed out about the ammo. When you find something that shoots perfectly out of a PCP, you're instinct is to stock up on it. Unfortunately, I stockpiled over 10lbs of unshootable ammo that shouldn't have been that way in the first place. To be positive, when I get my Corbin swage dies - at least I won't have to cut any lead wire for the first few thousand rounds!