Short "Overkill" rodent thermal compilation

Here's a short video I put together just to see how it turns out. I've got hours of pesting of the various farms that I hunt. 😊
If there is a positive, I'll start uploading to my YouTube channel and share.

Optics, Pulsar XP50 Trail LRF (Gen 1)
Airgun, Western Rattler .357
Tripod, Bogen Monfrotto 3205 w/46mm Low Profile Artcise ballhead arca plate.
Ammo, NSA .357 110g slugs @965 fps
Results, OVERKILL!

First shot @ 30 yards, rat.
Second shot @ 40 yards, Field mouse? Disintegrated...
Third shot @ 25 yards, Field mouse? Hamster? It was on the move. Took a couple of shots. But... Disintegrated...
Results, little snacks for the farm cats to enjoy because they're too flip'n lazy to hunt them on there own. 😊

Enjoy!

K9

Yeah, it's tough to see those little critters... It's the SPLAT after the shot that shows the hit. That's kind of the downside for using thermal to shoot rats and mice at a distance. Unfortunately, the video is never as clear or clean as the image I see in real time.
I'll certainly take note, I can increase the magnification to better show the target.

Hard to see if you haven't switched to "full screen" as well. 😉

Thanks much! 😊

Reactions: Hal4son
Keep'em coming. 👍🏼

And yes, please let's see what you can do with a larger magnification. And please, do tell us how you achived the magnification (optical or digital), and how much magnification.
Thanks. 👍🏼

Matthias
It would be a digital magnification.
Native magnification on this unit is 1.6x
Perfect for pesting. Not so perfect for video review later unless you're watching on a large monitor. I mirror to my 65" tv. 😂

Generally, I prefer 1.6x - 2.0x magnification for a better field of view.
I'll start using the picture in picture option in future vids.

When pesting for rodents, they're moving so quick from concealment to concealment in a split second. Lower mag helps me scan.

I prefer "White Hot" on the thermal to see the bright body heat more inefficiently.
I did notice I also had the white dot turned on in the center of my cross hairs. I changed it back to black.

Thank you for the input. I'll note and make em better. 😊

K9

Yeah, it's tough to see those little critters... It's the SPLAT after the shot that shows the hit. That's kind of the downside for using thermal to shoot rats and mice at a distance. Unfortunately, the video is never as clear or clean as the image I see in real time.
I'll certainly take note, I can increase the magnification to better show the target.

Hard to see if you haven't switched to "full screen" as well. 😉

Thanks much! 😊
Full screen made no difference. (sigh) Glad you can see and know the targets... I sure can't.

Reactions: K9Air
Full screen made no difference. (sigh) Glad you can see and know the targets... I sure can't.
Another slight factor, thermal is environmentally sensitive.

Tonight/early morning, it's damp and misting rain. It has taken countless hours to learn to see my targets and safely identify what I'm seeing. Damp conditions like now, make the images sort of foggy.

Knowing I'm going after only rats/mice makes it easier to pop the critter. That said, I have popped a few toads before. 😂

I do have a few of really clear trash panda shots I'll upload.

K9

Another slight factor, thermal is environmentally sensitive.

Tonight/early morning, it's damp and misting rain. It has taken countless hours to learn to see my targets and safely identify what I'm seeing. Damp conditions like now, make the images sort of foggy.

Knowing I'm going after only rats/mice makes it easier to pop the critter. That said, I have popped a few toads before. 😂

I do have a few of really clear trash panda shots I'll upload.

K9
No problem. I was just letting you know what I saw/didn't see in the video you posted.

Glad the thermal scope works for you, but you didn't sell me on getting one. (smile)

Not that you were trying to sell me on getting one. (chuckle)

Reactions: K9Air

That's awesome! Now I feel undergunned. Talk about sticking it to him, smeared him right into the tree!!! haha​

Undergunned.​

That's a good word.

Describes my current state of thinking.
Thinking, as in "airgun thinking".
Or rather, "what airgun to buy thinking".

All these huge calibers I keep reading about, and watching... — while I plink around with a .22 at 30 FPE....

Undergunned.
Yeah. That would describe me pretty well. 😞

Undergunned NO MORE! ◾
I will have to buy at least a .30cal!! 😆

Matthias

Undergunned.​

That's a good word.

Describes my current state of thinking.
Thinking, as in "airgun thinking".
Or rather, "what airgun to buy thinking".

All these huge calibers I keep reading about, and watching... — while I plink around with a .22 at 30 FPE....

Undergunned.
Yeah. That would describe me pretty well. 😞

Undergunned NO MORE! ◾
I will have to buy at least a .30cal!! 😆

Matthias
I'm really enjoying the .30cal, and I already have 2 .357cal airguns. More power than most .25cals, greater shot count, not as loud for night time work, only a few .357 airguns are regulated, and that affects accuracy.

I've only shot my .357s twice this year, because the .30cal is so much fun.

I'm really enjoying the .30cal, and I already have 2 .357cal airguns. More power than most .25cals, greater shot count, not as loud for night time work, only a few .357 airguns are regulated, and that affects accuracy.

I've only shot my .357s twice this year, because the .30cal is so much fun.
I agree with ya here. The disintegration effect only happens in the way the vids show due to me using the .357 Rattler. Regulated, (cough) set at 190 bar (actual 210), its laser accurate. But shooting rats/mice is kinda getting expensive. 😖 I mainly got this one for nuisance removal on farms and putting down, when requested to assist, live stock. (Yes, the Rattler will put down a 1200lb cow with a headshot. And it doesn't stir the other animals in the barn leading to additional injury to those animals.)

I have my Vulcan 3 .25 that is set for power pushing 38.5 NSA's. It'll "pop" small targets with the crack of a .22lr. That said, I think I'd really like another .30 cal. Sold my M3 to fund the Rattler. Just having that extra mass and velocity... 😍😍

I'm still recovering from the Rattler purchase and just recently a Bauer Junior compressor... I do see a .30 coming by spring... 😊

K9