• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Short hunt 2-25-2024

A pretty and warm but windy day, decided to try my luck at the local WMA. Unfortunately so did some local hikers. The wind calmed down finally as I hoped it would, and right on cue, I see two squirrelzillas coming out to play -

A few pics of the surroundings -

20240225_162306.jpg

20240225_162248.jpg

20240225_145818.jpg

20240225_173100.jpg

I was able to pull off a close to 40 yard shot on the first sighted tree rat, but before I could retrieve my kill, 4 hikers appear, oblivious to me, but their timing couldn't have been worse, as the squirrel action subsided - but it was still a good day to be in the woods, only took one shot, but it connected, so in my book I batted 1000!

20240225_145526.jpg

I'm really digging this stretched P-rod via a Fortitude tube combined with a Marauder/LW barrel. It handles closer to a rimfire than any airgun I've hunted with, me like!

Last edited:
Yes, there are ways to get away from the hiking trails, as it's a decent sized WMA. It's the first time I had encountered hikers, so I was a bit shocked. As they say, it is what it is - squirrel season is the last season to close and the first season to open in Tennessee, so the hikers probably weren't aware that people with guns were actually still hunting.

I was using Crosman 14.3 hunting pellets. When I use this build on a hunt, I only fill to around 2600-2700 psi, which starts the velocity curve around 890 fps and peaks at around 915 or so for 20 shots, which is two Carm mags.

I just tried to weigh her on an old inaccurate bathroom scale, it was showing a little over 7 pounds scoped.

EDIT: I always forget to mention, the trigger group was purchased from Airgun Revisions.

I have had multiple experience's with hiker's and even horse back riders on wma lands in Nebraska. I don't mind sharing with people but in my state we have to buy habitat stamps to pay for that land and it cost more than the license. It is frustrating to have ( the general public ) crashing though the woods scaring all the wildlife. But a bad day in the woods is better than a good day in town! Lol