• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Short Heavy HS?

I’ve been planning on building a SSG to put in my Kral rifles. I haven’t got to it yet but started playing with part of it. 

Has anyone ran a heavy short spring that throws the hammer? I found a couple springs laying around in my shop that were the right OD, but considerably heavier than a factory HS. I trimmed one to an inch, cleaned the end up (can’t remember who posted that tutorial a few months back on finishing springs but thank you), and threw it in my NP03. I also did a b-Staley at the same time. I’m getting 40 shots same POI at 30 yards, haven’t shot strings over the chrono yet it’s running around 800fps with CPs. I think the two mods together are going to gain me around 10 shots, gotta do more testing though. 

I’ve done quite a bit of reading on here and GTA about hammer spring mods over the past few years, and haven’t come across this one. Could be a reason for that. Curious if anyone else has tried this and any issues they had. The only issue I could see coming up is premature wear on the cocking mechanism. It does take quite a bit more force than standard springs, but it doesn’t seem to be excessive. My 6 year old son can cock it ok and my 9 year old handles it no problem. Any thoughts appreciated.

Beau

I take the time to cut, re-assemble, try, again and again when I first set up my guns with a SSS because once you have it right it can't creep out of adjustment. I make sure to back out the adjustment screw first too. Once done you can take apart your gun and put it back together with the same tune and there is only the one spring that can fail, and that hasn't happened to me yet.