Shooting With Glasses

I got put in progressive lenses a couple years back. Tried using contacts as well and wasn't happy, ended up having carry cheaters with me to see up close. Ditched the contacts this past winter and have been happy but this is the first time I've done any shooting. I wear small-frame Oakleys and to be able to see through the leans I have to raise my head up to look through the scope. Hard to get the right eye relief and get a consistent position and cheek weld. i obviously need bigger lenses. I'm thinking of just going with bifocals rather than progressives because I don't see much need for mid-range in shooting glasses. Love to have feedback from anyone else that's dealt with this. Is getting contacts for shooting a better choice? Found several discussions on shooting with glasses but everyone seemed to be far sighted which is opposite my problem. I can see iron sights just fine and I can actually shoot through the scope with glasses off but with AO scope it screws the yardage up quite a bit. Thanks.

I have worn progressive bifocal glasses for the last 15 years. Simple solution; dial in your reticle without glasses and only wear safety shooting glasses when you shoot. Easy - peasy, your prescription glasses will distort your aim ( sometimes mine will give double reticle images). Try this and let us know. As with all things, YMMV.

I'm sort of confused on the whole not far sighted yet still talking about bifocals thing. So, I will just answer the bifocal part, and you can see if it is useful.

Look at Grainger. They sell bifocal safety glasses that are inexpensive. I order from Grainger because you can pick them up the next day and no shipping cost. (Also great for orings.)

If the cheap ones work they have more expensive ones that are more stylish. (As stylish as safely glasses can be.)

Reactions: kanmotexacal
I can shoot fine without the glasses, the issue is using the AO to estimate range. With the glasses if I focus the objective the range is about dead on. Take them off and look through it and it's blurry. Sharpen up the focus and I can shoot fine but now I need my rangefinder to figure out the distance! I've adjusted diopter with glasses off but the results are the same. I've seen that double reticle a few times grackleblast, no bueno. I'm right-handed and my astigmatism is in my left eye so at least that's not an issue. Probably just need to go see my eye doctor and see what he recommends, but y'all are free! Lasik not an option, too old.

I can shoot fine without the glasses, the issue is using the AO to estimate range. With the glasses if I focus the objective the range is about dead on. Take them off and look through it and it's blurry. Sharpen up the focus and I can shoot fine but now I need my rangefinder to figure out the distance! I've adjusted diopter with glasses off but the results are the same. I've seen that double reticle a few times grackleblast, no bueno. I'm right-handed and my astigmatism is in my left eye so at least that's not an issue. Probably just need to go see my eye doctor and see what he recommends, but y'all are free! Lasik not an option, too old.
I had Lasic 3 years ago im 77

I'm sort of confused on the whole not far sighted yet still talking about bifocals thing. So, I will just answer the bifocal part, and you can see if it is useful.
Oh no, my progressives are TRIfocals! As you get older your eye shape changes. So yeah, I'm near sighted. Don't see well at a distance so that's my biggest correction, then a mid-range for sitting in front of a computer working like I am now. I can sit and read the fine print on a Coke can with my glasses off all day long, but as you age the distance at which you hold it to do that isn't quite "natural" as you get older, so there's a small correction there as well. We'll see what the eye doctor says but I bet it's contacts with a far correction. That takes care of the distortion and it also keeps you looking through the same part of the lens, which is difficult with glasses. Shot in them for years, they're just such a PITA I was hoping to find a work around.

Reactions: d3vnull
Yeah, when you do that, you are effectively changing the distance to the target, as your eye perceives it. Without your glasses, the AO is part of your correction. The only solution, get younger! One thought, you might be able to focus without your glasses, and then mentally apply a correction formula to the reading, assuming it is a consistent error throughout the range.

If you are nearsighted and need glasses for distant vision, the top of your bifocals would have a minus diopter correction and the bottom still a positive “adder” to let you see up close. You would need to look through the top of the glasses to use the scope. The glasses need to be big enough that you can comfortably look through the top when using a scope. You will no longer look cool wearing them, sorry.

Last edited:
I had these glasses made years ago. I initially got glasses in 2007, no big deal, I just figured out very quickly that the cute little cool lenses weren’t going to cut it for hunting and especially archery with a peep sight. I kept a big lens pair but eventually had to start wearing bifocals. Went with progressive but too much of the overall lens is wasted with the transition. So I went into my optometrist and said I want my prescription and a bifocal only 10mm up from the bottom. They fought me and said it needs to come up more than 10mm. They finally did it. They are great. I only need that 10mm of bifocal to see my sight tape, parallax wheel, or other stuff up close, then I still have a big lens for my peripheral vision.

BBA6CE8A-E376-4525-9AD4-7A9B3AAAB8E5.jpeg

Reactions: cavedweller
Bought these for shooting trap and used my prescription for nearsightedness. The colored lenses provide extreme clarity. They work with any prescription and do crazy nice work. Highly recommended.

Reactions: cavedweller
Lots of info to digest here, thanks fellas. I know that about 7 years ago when I started wearing contacts again for the first time in a few years I noticed a difference with my bow. But, that was before I needed these dang progressive lenses! I'm going to call those guys at Decot Hy-Wyd and see what they suggest. I think if I could get glasses that are big enough to allow me shoot in the same position I've used for 50+ years and see through the distance portion I'd be a happy camper. I know my neck would appreciate it. Actually shot through my wrap around Oakley sunglasses a couple days ago and position was better so it might be the ticket.

Beerthief, I stand corrected. Just talked to my wife and she said their doctors WILL occasionally do Lasik on us older folks. Just don't recommend it often.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Talk to Wayne at Morgan Optical in Olean, NY 800-594-0175, he will help you select the best glasses for the type of shooting you do. The RE glasses they sell are designed to allow the colored lenses to easily be changed to suit different light conditions if needed. Once you give them your RX you will have them in a week or so and after purchasing the frames you can upgrade the lenses when you get a new RX each year (if necessary). I have been using them for sporting for years and love them. The larger lens size makes it easy to see through a scope reticle without having to bob your head around and find the best spot.

I had these glasses made years ago. I initially got glasses in 2007, no big deal, I just figured out very quickly that the cute little cool lenses weren’t going to cut it for hunting and especially archery with a peep sight. I kept a big lens pair but eventually had to start wearing bifocals. Went with progressive but too much of the overall lens is wasted with the transition. So I went into my optometrist and said I want my prescription and a bifocal only 10mm up from the bottom. They fought me and said it needs to come up more than 10mm. They finally did it. They are great. I only need that 10mm of bifocal to see my sight tape, parallax wheel, or other stuff up close, then I still have a big lens for my peripheral vision.

View attachment 275674
YES I HAVE A NO LINE BIFOCAL ITS WAY IN THE WAY TO SHOOT, I DONT SHOOT WITH THE GLASSES AS ITS VERY CRAPPY TO LOOK THROUGH MY GLASSES PER THAT REASON, LOD MY PELLETS IN THE MAG THEN THE GLASSES ARE OFF. SHOOT JUST FINE BUT THE BACK AND FORTH WITH THE GLASSES STINKS GREAT IDEA YOU HAD DONE, MAYBE NEXT PAIR ILL GET THAT DONE