• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shooting teeny groups with my Weihrauch HW44

The past couple days I have been trying out various pellets in my HW44 177cal. I have confirmed in my mind that the H&N Baracuda FT 9.57 grain are truly great in this pistol. I shot the following target sheet over the last 2 days (50 shots each day). I limit myself for two reasons - my pistol likes to be cleaned every 50 shots or so and my hand starts to shake and wobble if I make shooting sessions too long. Anyway, the sheet below will attest to the precision and consistency of this pistol/pellet combination.

6D96A33F-586F-4072-9E12-976FED557C5A.jpeg

Surprised to hear that the pistol wants to be cleaned every 50 rounds.
This patch is after 50 shots. If I wait to clean (say over 100 shots) then groups open up wildly and fliers happen. By cleaning every 50 or so shots (5 mags) every shot from #1 to the last shot hits exactly the same poi. I do not have to "lead in" the barrel. If the shot doesn't hit dead center it's because I changed hand hold slightly or my breathing was off for that group.

80AA81D2-4263-468F-9C54-BF4D7F8FA144.jpeg

Last edited:
This patch is after 50 shots. If I wait to clean (say over 100 shots) then groups open up wildly and fliers happen. By cleaning every 50 or so shots (5 mags) every shot from #1 to the last shot hits exactly the same poi. I do not have to "lead in" the barrel. If the shot doesn't hit dead center it's because I changed hand hold slightly or my breathing was off for that group.

View attachment 330877
Dont blame ya, i clean my barrles mostly at a shot count or if i notice somthing off like in groupings .. i never liked letting one go too long dirty.. also tare down one and clean it all under the hood can tighten things up .

Reactions: rsfrid

View attachment 330877
Hello @rsfrid

I am Mr. Clean when it comes to bores....it just cannot HURT :rolleyes:

Mr. Clean / aka ThomasT

Reactions: beerthief
And I, personally, find that I don't need to shoot a bunch to "acclimate the barrel" to the pellets. They just work. This is also true with my RAWs.
With my RAW shooting pellets, accuracy rarely suffers but to shoot slugs, the barrel needs to be clean for accuracy. Great shooting Ross!

Reactions: ThomasT and rsfrid