• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shooting technique - grip

I have one gun that the trigger pull is heavy.. pretty heavy and I need to polish the hammer and sear area.. but
I've found with it after some shooting, trigger finger gets tired and I start pulling shots, so when I feel like either I'm pulling shots or getting tired, I will put my trigger finger along the stock and use the next finger and well that's seems to do the trick.. oh and it's a rifle, not pistol..
Mark

I shoot differently sitting on a bucket with a bipod than I do from the bench. From the bench, my non-trigger hand is not on the rifle or the bench. It is in my lap. My bench is light and I find that I sometimes mess up a shot by varying pressure on the bench with this hand. Putting it in my lap solves that. I use it to adjust my monopod at the rear of the gun to align the crosshairs and then "put it away". It is my right hand and I am right handed (but left eye dominant). My trigger hand is in position on the grip of the gun but my grip is light. I do not have any expensive guns that will accept an extremely light trigger so they are set close to 1 lb. A little under a pound. I've tried a two finger squeeze but I don't like it. I might if my triggers were lighter. My shoulder touches the butt of the stock but lightly. I don't feel any recoil from my 22s or 177 but I do feel a little from my 25s. But I do not need any shoulder pressure to control it.

The most important thing for me is aligning the gun with the desired point of impact purely by the bipod at the front and monopod at the rear. I shoot about the same with a Rock BR front rest and a sandbag at the rear. This Rock model has a windage adjustment so I can use it to get the aim just right and then squeeze off the shot. If I try and use my hold to "fix", even a little bit, the point of aim my shot often does not go as intended. I find this sight alignment by rest tedious but I regret it if I do not do it this way. Occasionally it doesn't cost me to put a little pressure on the gun but I can't get 3 good shots in a row off that way. My guess is I can shoot pretty well with my trigger hand on the gun as long as I am not putting pressure on gun because of the lack of pressure. That may achieve something similar to the two finger squeeze for me.

I think the reason I have the butt of the gun touching my shoulder is just comfort. It doesn't seem to throw my shots off and it is more comfortable than trying not to contact the butt. I do hold my face a bit off the rifle stock because I think it affects shots sometimes for my face to be firmly touching the gun.

Off a bucket with a bipod my body is supporting everything but the front of the gun and both hands are on the gun. I can't shoot as small a group this way but I can hit my 1/4 inch "know your limits" swinger pretty consistently from 25 yards with my best gun. My hold is still light and relaxed.

When I shoot my 30-06 from the bench I pull it into my shoulder. But I do not pull my airguns into my shoulder firmly. I contact them but pretty lightly.

I'm thinking of redoing my bench so it is more solid. I don't think the position of my right hand will make much difference if it doesn't deflect my shooting bench.