Shooting technique - grip

Hi AGNers,

I was reading in the Shooting Tips forum on this site and saw this:

1- Proper Grip: The first step to the trigger finger being able to properly pull the trigger is to ensure that the grip on the rifle or pistol is correct. For rifles this means that the trigger hand is firmly gripped around the stock applying slight rearward pressure into the shoulder and the support hand is gripping the fore end of the rifle supporting the rifle.

I’ve been thinking on this topic quite a bit lately. I don’t agree with “trigger hand firmly gripped - slight rearward pressure into shoulder ” . I believe this shooting form tip is “left over” from powder burner days. These PCP rifles of today are recoilless. As such, I believe best accuracy is achieved by applying as minimal force as possible when shooting from a rest - especially fully supported benchrest. I’d recommend not even touching rifle butt to shoulder and just thumb and index finger on stock creating just enough pressure to hold crosshairs steady and release shot.

I do agree with the breathing tip outlined in the Shooting Tips forum.

For target shooters here on AGN:

Do you use a light hold with PCPs?
Do you use any shoulder pressure when you shoot from a bench?

-Ed

Reactions: Milf Dots
I don't do much hunting anymore and well I don't remember last time I punched paper.. but I enjoy target shooting and especially long distance..
that said I normally rest the gun on something, anything, a tree, rail, post for best shots..
but if shooting moving target or freehand I apply some pressure to the shoulder and or grip.. nothing like a big powder burner.. but similar to 22lr.. although I am guessing that I have shot more 177 but probably getting closer to even with 22 PCP as I don't shoot 177 anymore due to carpal tunnel and also wind drifting..
I've shot a lot of 22 LR but not nearly as much as 22 PCP.. I have no idea how much 177 but I used to go through rws tins like 2 per month..
so yes I would say a light hold but I also have never shot bench rest where you are totally supported.. never had a chance to try the tripod mount which I think is good for testing a rifle accuracy but not the shooters accuracy.. just my opinion from living in the woods over my lifetime.
Mark

Reactions: beerthief
The less pressure I apply just about anywhere with my pcp's, the more accuracy I attain. Been working on it lately. It certainly has minimized heartbeat movement. Love the ease of shooting PCP's! When shooting off my tall bipod, sitting cross-legged, my stock is just "resting" at my shoulder with no rearward "pressure". Works for me!

If you’ve got another informational source please send it my way! I’m happy to add important things to the Resources section.

I’d agree that Ive found a light grip positively affects the POI. However I’ve also found that moderately to firmly (depending on the platform) pulling the buttstock into my shoulder using the foregrip can also be very beneficial.

If you believe PCP‘s don’t have recoil then I wonder why BR shooters add so much weight to their guns. A PCP does recoil. It’s Newtons law of physics. It’s just not a punishing recoil. Look at all these responses. It’s from guys who learned their guns and what they like. There is no definitive answer that suits every gun on every type of rest in every situation across the board. You must experiment. And the pellet and slug manufacturers thank you.

Depends on the gun and grip type, everyone is different and stock and grips are different.

However if you happen to own an AGT Vulcan then I highly recommend this grip.
1702878534899.gif

Depends on the gun and grip type, everyone is different and stock and grips are different.

However if you happen to own an AGT Vulcan then I highly recommend this grip.
View attachment 416669
Hmmm, I've got a Vulcan 3 and yeah, no, aside from it being a little heavier than most...a light hold on this one too.

Mike

Reactions: markhooper
I'm not an excellent shooter, but I am a very experienced one. I guess that means I do a lot of wrong things, but I believe my experience has provided an answer to the question of pressure and hold technique. My conclusion, it makes no difference whatever. I can hear the protests, "but I shoot much better holding a certain way". Yes, you do, but it's not because the distribution of pressure is inherently better one particular way, it's because you are holding more consistently that specific way. The relatively low velocities of our air guns makes this all the more important, since the pellet is in the barrel a long time. The most consistent pressure is no pressure, which is why many firearm BR shooters use free recoil technique. But, that requires a good BR stock, mechanical front rest and rear bag. Most of our general-purpose air rifles and the rests we use don't accommodate that technique. The "best" technique is the one that you can do exactly the same every shot, without early fatigue. For most of us, I believe that will be a hold of modest pressure, with full but light cheek contact, and minimal movement of the trigger finger. But if that doesn't work well for you, then what I or anyone else believes is irrelevant. As Paul Anka wrote, it's gotta be My Way.

Like others have said it depends on what sort of shooting you are doing. You're not going to use the same grip when you're shooting from the standing position in an FT match and when you're sitting at a bench punching holes in paper.

Most instructions in any field of endeavor get you to a good starting point. After that it's on you.

Like others have said it depends on what sort of shooting you are doing. You're not going to use the same grip when you're shooting from the standing position in an FT match and when you're sitting at a bench punching holes in paper.

Most instructions in any field of endeavor get you to a good starting point. After that it's on you.
Yes, I think grip matters significantly more when sitting with a bipod and/or sandbags. More stock pressure, I think, makes a positive difference in this specific case.

When offhand shooting, grip makes less of a difference compared to other things, such as keeping both eyes open - because you have better stabilization with a 3D picture than with a 2D picture - but this only makes sense with red dots or iron sights. And by stabilization I mean more control over a deliberate movement of some sort or shape which crosses the center of the target at some point, so that you can shoot at that specific moment.

Reactions: markhooper
Hi AGNers,

1- Proper Grip: The first step to the trigger finger being able to properly pull the trigger is to ensure that the grip on the rifle or pistol is correct. For rifles this means that the trigger hand is firmly gripped around the stock applying slight rearward pressure into the shoulder and the support hand is gripping the fore end of the rifle supporting the rifle.

I’ve been thinking on this topic quite a bit lately. I don’t agree with “trigger hand firmly gripped - slight rearward pressure into shoulder ” . I believe this shooting form tip is “left over” from powder burner days. These PCP rifles of today are recoilless. As such, I believe best accuracy is achieved by applying as minimal force as possible when shooting from a rest - especially fully supported benchrest. I’d recommend not even touching rifle butt to shoulder and just thumb and index finger on stock creating just enough pressure to hold crosshairs steady and release shot.

-Ed
I’m going to throw some physiology at this: the tighter you grip something, the more flexion you get, so a right handed shooter will typically pull a shot down and to the left if they squeeze too hard. A lefty would pull a shot down and to the right. This is most obvious when shooting a pistol but also applies to a rifle.

Reactions: HKVP9
Been shooting Air Guns competitively for well north of 10 years ...
Shoulder pressure FROM THE FORESTOCK HAND with grip on trigger hand very light with many times 3 lower fingers barely touching grip, thumb is vertical and trigger squeeze in ONLY between thumb and trigger finger.
i will have to try this hold .

Hi AGNers,

-Ed
i use a very light hold on benchrest , not completely free gun and only trigger hold , but light shoulder and no fore grip . Pistol just "like a light handshake "?
just enough hold to not drop the pistol.

Back in the day PB BR shooters would pull the trigger by pinching it against the trigger guard with nothing touching the rifle but those two fingers. With a really light trigger and a nice heavy bench gun you can make some very tiny holes at a couple of hundred meters. I haven't seen such a shoot in nearly 40 years so can't speak to what "tricks" are used today in the PB world and I have never been to an AG BR shoot so clueless in that arena..

First we crawl, then we walk, THEN we run.

Back in the day PB BR shooters would pull the trigger by pinching it against the trigger guard with nothing touching the rifle but those two fingers. With a really light trigger and a nice heavy bench gun you can make some very tiny holes at a couple of hundred meters. I haven't seen such a shoot in nearly 40 years so can't speak to what "tricks" are used today in the PB world and I have never been to an AG BR shoot so clueless in that arena..

First we crawl, then we walk, THEN we run.
Many of us Serious FT shooters have near equally light triggers and this technique ( Tho not on trigger guard ) still work to this day ;)

Reactions: OldSpook