• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shooting Style

After doing all the above and if you are still having problems, try holding that kicker tighter against your shoulder. My TX200 likes a snug hold. That artillery stuff just doesn't work with my gun. I hold it just tight enough to calm down the slight jump that even a well tuned, high end gun exhibits.

Give it a try.

I agree. When I was breaking in my latest I started off with the artillery hold, and my groupings were all over the place vertically, some of them a foot low. I then gripped a little harder through the thumbhole stock and pulled the buttpad tighter to my shoulder and voila... 1" groups.

It's became more and more clear to me that it's just like everything else. One pellet works great in one rifle but may perform like crap in another, one hold with one shooter on a gun will have different results than someone else's hold of the same style, etc. I was frustrated until I figured these nuances out (and I still am).

I don’t know about the gun in question but some of these guns out of the box have absolutely terrible triggers. You combine a new shooter with a gun with creepy hard pull trigger and a recoiling springer and you might get some pretty bad groups

Not to say it’s not the gun or scope either.

My buddy has a gamo magnum springer and I can’t shoot that gun. I’m glad I don’t have to if it was mine I’d have that thing apart and I’d either fix that trigger or it would be a fence post. Probably not much you can do with the recoil . They can be hard to shoot and I understand shooting them off bags which is how I do most of my shooting doesn’t lend to good groups

I don’t know about the gun in question but some of these guns out of the box have absolutely terrible triggers. You combine a new shooter with a gun with creepy hard pull trigger and a recoiling springer and you might get some pretty bad groups

Not to say it’s not the gun or scope either.

My buddy has a gamo magnum springer and I can’t shoot that gun. I’m glad I don’t have to if it was mine I’d have that thing apart and I’d either fix that trigger or it would be a fence post. Probably not much you can do with the recoil . They can be hard to shoot and I understand shooting them off bags which is how I do most of my shooting doesn’t lend to good groups

Agree. But a 2 foot vertical spread at 50 ft does not seem like "pretty bad" for grouping. Seems to go beyond that. And if it were trigger related to a large degree I would think there would be much more lateral spread along with the vertical. Could well be wrong though.

because what I'm wanting to measure is MY own performance coupled with the potential of the rifle.

WE all want to know that. but without getting the rifle performing to its utmost abilities, you'll never be able to seperate the gun's issues from your technique.

Get the gun perfroming to its best ability, THEN and only then start critiqueing your own abilities. When you understand how the gun is performing, you'll have a much better idea of how your performance is. A gun running at its highest possible performance will make it much easier to improve your abilities. 

Please update us this journey, as IMO it can be really helpful seeing what others do to be better shooters