• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shooting Style

I thought I had my scope zero’d in (Hammers 3-9) finally on my Gamo Silent Cat. Using H&N super heavys to get FPS down. Got the shooting rests in and filled and was hitting the targets in okay groupings (compared to what was happening before) and I moved back to get a better range since I won’t be that close for the hunting I want to do. I moved back to around 50 feet and it’s on point for side to side but up and down it ranges like 2 feet. I have no idea why. I don’t know if my shooting style is just terrible or if I’m pulling it? I got it rested on the front bag and I’m using my hand under the stock to raise up and down and barely pushing it into my shoulder. It kicks so hard too so it may be throwing it off but gripping harder was what everyone told me not to do. 

Check your scope rings and mounts to make sure that all is tight and that your scope isn't moving. Also, make sure that your body is giving as little input on the rifle as possible. Let the rifle "rest" while you slowly squeeze the trigger. The more contact that you have with the rifle while shooting from the bench, the more error you open yourself up to. This is because you are "animate".....you move. The rest and the bench itself are "inanimate"......they don't move. Something is surely wrong with the type of accuracy issues you are describing. You will have to start by eliminating some variables. Don't get discouraged and give up though.

Good luck.

1549229071_12345495055c575c0fdf79e8.07142341_DF21107F-8C74-4DEC-A3D9-D1C73DFE7D69.jpeg
2 feet spread. Up and down. 

After doing all the above and if you are still having problems, try holding that kicker tighter against your shoulder. My TX200 likes a snug hold. That artillery stuff just doesn't work with my gun. I hold it just tight enough to calm down the slight jump that even a well tuned, high end gun exhibits.

Give it a try.

Agree completely. I'm not a fan of the artillery hold concept generally. Sometimes it may work but I don't believe that it will function as well as many believe "in general".

I use a Caldwell Rock Jr. tripod to rest my forestock on. It seems to allow the rifle to move under recoil sufficiently to not have to use the artillery hold. I'll then curl my left arm around to brace the butt, and be able to adjust the sight picture. OP, I know that I've trotted this out before and you seem like you're using this method, but...it may not be the hot ticket for you! A LOTTA guys use a bag under the butt to "take the human element out of the formula"...but I don't, because what I'm wanting to measure is MY own performance coupled with the potential of the rifle.

To me, given your situation, it's all about learning how to shoot consistently, and finding the method that works for you. I don't think you've found it yet. Yeah, part of it may be the setup of the rifle, but as I've said before, if you can find somebody experienced locally who can coach you one on one, that's probably gonna be the factor that will connect the dots for you. There's only so much that the World Wide Web can do!!!

Good luck...we've all been where you are at some point in time!

Have some one else shoot that rifle. Best it would be a person experienced with shooting springers. If we can eliminate shooter related issues it would be a big help. I think you are flinching before you release the shot. Or jumping on the trigger. When you are firing the rifle apply steading increasing pressure on the trigger so that the gun fires almost without you knowing exactly when. Try not to anticipate. Magnum springers are challenging. 

I don’t know. I wish I could have someone more experienced but as I think I’ve said I live in a small southern rural town where most people don’t even know what a PCP or Springer means. I’m in highschool and driving somewhere to meet people for the sake of airgunning doesn’t work with my school and work schedule. Hopefully I’ll be able to figure something out. My ROTC Colonel has agreed to let me join the marksmanship unit during certain periods of the week even though I’m not enrolled in ROTC so we shall see how that helps. 

Hi,,check your stock screws and trigger guard screws. Could be the scope broke.The hammers 3-9 x 40 scope I had lasted about 10 shots on a Hatsan 105 torpedo?.Nitro piston.I never did get that to settle down and I had tried all the techniques.Artillery,forearm placement,forearm grips.wrist grip,pull,different trigger techniques,different restings.I finally returned it. Anyways,,with that much movement I'd bet the screws r loose or the scope is broke.Let us know when you find out.

Above two posts could well be correct but two feet spread at 50 foot distance? Is it possible to "flinch" that much? Doesn't seem likely to me but I suppose anything is possible. Still thinking there is a mechanical basis for this much error.

LOL, From a guy that fought the "flinches" all his life you bet it's possible. I'm not saying that you necessarily ARE but operator error has to be factored in or out. Lets just assume it's not YOU. If not you have something wrong which careful inspection should pick up on. I'd take the scope off and try another scope if one is available. You also might shake the scope and the rifle and see if anything appears to be loose.

I had a son in law that I tried to teach to shoot and he would do something which resulted in rather poor accuracy and it wasn't very obvious. I think he did what I call "jumping" the trigger. Jerking at the last second and he's pull his shots but it wasn't just up and down. He had no problem at all missing right to left either. Shooting is all about "sight picture" and "trigger release" If you can maintain a good sight picture and release that trigger correctly you almost can't miss IF ? the gun is right. All we are suggesting is to reduce the variables. If some one else would shoot that gun under the same conditions and shoot a one inch group at 50 foot it would tell us a lot would it not? I'm doubtful that will happen but we have to take it a step at a time and consider all the possibilities 

Hey, good luck at least you're trying.