Shooting Squirrels with EDgun Leshiy .25 and ATN X Sight 4K Pro

This episode of backyard hunting / pest control is focused on Squirrels. We have 1000's of squirrels... and I mean literally 1,000's within my square block. I shoot maybe 25% of what I see in mine and my neighbors yards, so you can imagine how many I'm talking about. I could tag out daily fI'm continuing with the low power, ultra quiet / backyard friendly tune of the EDgun Leshiy in .25 with 25gr JSB Kings. I have it shooting 545fps, so about 16ft/lbs. This is perfect for squirrels. I think I could even go lower, but don't want to push it with the .25. I'll explorer going lower when the .177 barrel arrives from John Hagan... who did the work to turn my EDgun Leshiy into the Silent Overkill (more on that here, if your interested).

The rest of the kit is: ATN X-Sight 4K Pro 3-14xAtlas bipodDonnyFL Emperor v2, and Streamlight TLR-1 IR

img-3204.jpg

In Volume 1 I'm starting mess to around with slow motion, but only using 60fps on the film speed. While it totally works, it gets a little choppy. These squirrels didn't seem to care! ;)

Just as I was done filming Volume 1, ATN released a new firmware update. It primarily did 2 things... first, it made the night vision mode clarity a lot better... and then secondly, it allowed for recording scope cam footage at 120fps. This is a pretty significant difference. It doesn't record with the reticle, but to be honest, I prefer it... as I can overlay that easily, and then remove right after the shot, so you can better see the flight path of the pellet.

All of Volume 2 (and the end of Volume 1) is shot in 120fps. I think you'll agree, the footage is superior in quality. How about that low power tune!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6mwLaNFH6c&t=11s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7PFDq0SVhg&t=13s

Cheers,

Tim

Full article here: https://www.edgunleshiy.com/blog/2018/9/26/squirrel-hunting-with-edgun-leshiy-and-atn-x-sight-4k-pro/

Tim, have you had any scope freezes with yours? Just got my previous scope replaced with a brand new version running firmware 218 out of the box. It is freezing the live video while the menu is still accessible and responsive. So I went ahead and upgraded to firmware 271. Turned scope to minimal widgets, hard reset the scope a few times, and also restored the scope to factory defaults both after the firmware upgrade and when it would freeze up. I've never had these issues with my prior scope running firmware 185.

It's so annoying because I'd love to use this scope on my Matador R5 but can't trust it if I have to keep resetting it due to crashes.

P.S. - The new firmware does have 120fps as an option so that's a plus, I guess. Unfortunately, I have not yet checked to see if the reticle is missing in the videos at that FPS like yours.

When you do a factory reset, it erases everything. You need to go back in and set things up again like it's the first time. Do another reset, so we are starting from scratch.

1) confirm you're on 271 firmware

2) go into settings, and choose your scope within device type.

3) do a normal reboot

If it freezes do a hard reset (not a factory reset). To do this, hold the power button down for 25 seconds. It will go black when it's done.

It's generally a hard reset that clears out old files, etc... not a factory reset.

Let me know if that doesn't work, and I'll walk you through downgrading firmware, and starting over with applying firmware again.

T

Tim, have you had any scope freezes with yours? Just got my previous scope replaced with a brand new version running firmware 218 out of the box. It is freezing the live video while the menu is still accessible and responsive. So I went ahead and upgraded to firmware 271. Turned scope to minimal widgets, hard reset the scope a few times, and also restored the scope to factory defaults both after the firmware upgrade and when it would freeze up. I've never had these issues with my prior scope running firmware 185.

It's so annoying because I'd love to use this scope on my Matador R5 but can't trust it if I have to keep resetting it due to crashes.

P.S. - The new firmware does have 120fps as an option so that's a plus, I guess. Unfortunately, I have not yet checked to see if the reticle is missing in the videos at that FPS like yours.

btw... after a hard reset (basically ATN's version of control + alt +delete) just flick the power button again once it's a black screen to turn it on again.... just like you normally would to turn it on.

I've been recording at 120fps with firmware 218 since I got the 4K Pro. I'm hesitant to upgrade firmware because it's working for me, though it would be nice if the new firmware would fix my compass so I can input wind direction. And better nighttime clarity would be a bonus.

So upgrading firmware will delete profiles after a reset? I wonder if there's a way to save the profiles before upgrading then load them back in.

Hey Tim thanks for the response. Everything you suggested I did already. Hard reset and resetting through the menu. Also reset all my parameters including scope type, reticle preference, etc. I charged it up overnight and tested it this morning before work and didn’t freeze up. Right now I don’t have it mounted on any gun yet but did input my saved X/Y coordinates for my R5 which is what I’m planning on mounting it to. 

I’ll see how things go. This newer scope has less of a notchy side zoom wheel compared to prior scope. Also, they upgraded the buttons on top, specifically the center button, which now feels like any other button, not like you’re pushing two buttons at once. Video clarity and quality is improved as well but this may be firmware related vs new optics. 

Bob, you can save your profiles to your SD Card so you don’t lose them. Alternatively, the most foolproof method is to just write down your X/Y coordinates including (-) or (+) direction, save that on your phone or notepad, so that you can manually re-enter that info should you lose any of your presets after a firmware update or hard reset. 

I've been recording at 120fps with firmware 218 since I got the 4K Pro. I'm hesitant to upgrade firmware because it's working for me, though it would be nice if the new firmware would fix my compass so I can input wind direction. And better nighttime clarity would be a bonus.

So upgrading firmware will delete profiles after a reset? I wonder if there's a way to save the profiles before upgrading then load them back in.

yes... save the 218 version on your computer somewhere. I can help you revert if needed. The clarity difference at night in INSANE... assuming you have a good light. What are you running?

100% export your profiles. within the scope menu just go into profiles. There is an export option. It will export your current profile to the SD card. Then make sure to change to each profile you have, and repeat it the steps. It will put them all in a file called "profiles". You can then import when it's done. I have done firmware updates where it kept the profiles, and I've done them when it didn't. Always a good move to export as a backup. Also, jot down your X and Y for each. Worse case is you manually go to those. That will get you pretty dang close.

t

Hey Tim thanks for the response. Everything you suggested I did already. Hard reset and resetting through the menu. Also reset all my parameters including scope type, reticle preference, etc. I charged it up overnight and tested it this morning before work and didn’t freeze up. Right now I don’t have it mounted on any gun yet but did input my saved X/Y coordinates for my R5 which is what I’m planning on mounting it to. 

I’ll see how things go. This newer scope has less of a notchy side zoom wheel compared to prior scope. Also, they upgraded the buttons on top, specifically the center button, which now feels like any other button, not like you’re pushing two buttons at once. Video clarity and quality is improved as well but this may be firmware related vs new optics. 

Bob, you can save your profiles to your SD Card so you don’t lose them. Alternatively, the most foolproof method is to just write down your X/Y coordinates including (-) or (+) direction, save that on your phone or notepad, so that you can manually re-enter that info should you lose any of your presets after a firmware update or hard reset.

gotcha. Let me know how it goes. I get freezes from time to time, but it's yet to impact even a busy pesting session. The 271 firmware is a big leap forward clarity wise. The IR light you run plays a huge role too

How is the phone connection app? Does it work? Are you guys able to connect you phone to the scopes image easily? Without issuses?

it works really well... especially for changing the settings. The only issue I still have is viewing the screen in realtime. It freezes a bit on the iphone/ipad. They will fix it, but had a lot of stuff that took priority it looks like.