shooting smaller or lighter grain pellets from my DAQ 458

Hello I am new to the forum ,I wonder from guys that may have a daq 458 ,that most info I see like MR HP videos that from 200 to 500 grains is good for the rifle ,I plan to do alot of target shooting with my 458 ,I have not shot it yet ,an wonder will I be dumping the same air for a 147 grain round ball the same as a 350 grain hollow point,hoping I get to shoot it next week right now early snow has me stocking up on the 457 pellets though mostly from 200 to 500 grain HP ,but I got some 147 an 166 grains from HS ,i was thinking would yield more shots,but this rifle is not the xp ranger either with low an high settings,thenk you for some input 

Not a lot of DAQ owners out there I guess.

Just give Dennis a call, he should support his product and knows it best. Note that he is one of those opinionated guys and makes a statement and then you are supposed to accept it without questioning in my experience. Just listen to what he says the first time, store what he says without too much questioning and as you learn more, more of it will make sense as he has been known to be terse...

You might also try at the GTA > The Darkside > Bigbore forum

Changing ONLY pellet weight won't save air unless your valve is staying open till the pellet leaves the muzzle, in which case a lighter pellet would use MORE air due to leaving the muzzle faster and the valve remaining open without a cork to hold back air release...if that makes sense?

Now provided you tune correctly, and are aiming for FAR less FPE with the lighter pellet, then absolutely yes you can 'save air'...but it may come down to how much is saved and is it worth it? I am not familiar enough with that rifle and its nominal air usage per shot ect...

I would assume without being able to change valve duration via hammer spring preload, spring rating, hammer weight, hammer throw, or choking of the ports, you likely won't see much air usage change. JMO and what Kinetic said is solid advice to follow up on. GL.

thank you for the reply ,I have talked to dennis ,he has been ok wealth of knowledge ,he tells me It just likes the heavy pellets ,guess will just find out when the right day comes along ,it has been a terrible fall ,so i have from 122 to 505 grain an will try them all,i know some guys mod the valve for more power ,will see ,the i one have looks to have not been shot ,so they need the 50 60 shots to work in the parts to so will need just some time thank you for your response. I also have daq 58 cal pistol an the 3.57 bull dog the 58 cal pistol has more power then the stock bulldog ,guys should check out the 58 cal pistol getting about 250 fpe with 412hp from mr Hp ,he has some for sale ,yes they are a 2 shot pistol but fun 3 shots max ,no one makes anything close in a pistol ,one guy got out to 90 yards with enough power for a deer or hog ,though I would keep it 50 yards or under ,a few guys have made some nice stocks for a nice carbine ,Quackenbush has the 575 an the 25 9mm an 45 as well for around $500.00 to $550.00 all for sale on the site right now mr hp has al the pellets or HS too

Changing ONLY pellet weight won't save air unless your valve is staying open till the pellet leaves the muzzle, in which case a lighter pellet would use MORE air due to leaving the muzzle faster and the valve remaining open without a cork to hold back air release...if that makes sense?

Now provided you tune correctly, and are aiming for FAR less FPE with the lighter pellet, then absolutely yes you can 'save air'...but it may come down to how much is saved and is it worth it? I am not familiar enough with that rifle and its nominal air usage per shot ect...

I would assume without being able to change valve duration via hammer spring preload, spring rating, hammer weight, hammer throw, or choking of the ports, you likely won't see much air usage change. JMO and what Kinetic said is solid advice to follow up on. GL.

thank you too I think it makes sence it was made to shoot heavy pellets ,but will play with it next spring ,an see what happens I know there is not a lot of info on it couse there are only about 500+ of them out there ,I know the 58 cal pistol I got to shoot only a few times very fun but does not shoot less then 280 grain an up to a 420HP bore size ,i want to get my hands on the 58 short rifle I hear he has some comeing out very soon via the website on first come first serve no more list to deal with ,just check every Monday i was told under currantly available,so will be getting chrony too