Tuning Shooting slugs with an AF Condor/Escape?

I picked up an Airforce Escape .22 a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it's simplicity, tune-ability and light weight. With the stock 200 cc tank I was getting about 13 shots per fill with 25-27 grain slugs at 900=950 fps. Not bad for such a light gun. But I target shoot so I'd like a higher shot count. So I got a 380 cc tank and swapped it for the smaller one. Now I'm getting about 20 shots. Better, but I'd really like to get 40-50 shots per fill.

So I got a 500 cc 4,500 psi tank and a regulator off Amazon. With the regulator maxed out at 20 MPa and hammer spring at the max all I was getting was maybe 15-20 FPE. MAJOR FAIL. There just isn't enough plenum to push a heavy-ish slug. Works great with 18 gr pellets but sucks with slugs. There are other regulators out there but without a much larger plenum I think I'd have the same problem with any regulator.

So I'm thinking going un-regulated. So my question is, what would be the best valve / hammer / springs combination to accomplish what I want, 25+ grain slugs at 950+/- fps and 40+ shots per fill? Stock Condor? TT Super High Flo?

escape with regulator.jpg

Stock spring..85gr hammer..and the new rimlock valve .. but the one that comes in the full size condor.. the one in the ss is different.. with that I mean the bronze spring holder hole is the biggest in the full size condor..will try to post a pic later.. your gun is supposed to have the same valve. You will know when I post the pic ..that should give you power enough for up to 32g ..for more shots.. pcp tunes will have any adapter needed to install a 1000 CC big bottle.. I had crickets n taipans.. now I use uragans.. but my 3 old airforce guns are going no were .. for heavy lead. Still nothing better.. my modified 22 condor could shoot a 62g pill at 1060 fps in low power..but it takes some coins ..😬 .o n a eternal reg is a must..to fully enjoy the gun..but if not the big bottle will help a lot..

Last edited:
Here's my fix and it's working great. I got a 500 cc / 4500 psi carbon fiber bottle ($150 on Amazon), a 4500 to 2200 psi fixed regulator ($25 on eBay) and a paintball remote with slide bleeder ($25 on eBay). The bottle on the rifle is a 380cc aluminum tank I found on eBay ($40). I went from maybe 10 shots to now 70+ fully regulated shots with 24.8 grain NSA slugs.

Escape tethered bottle.jpg

You should try a work guard.. it will allow you a better finger placement on the trigger + it strengthen the lower part if the rifle..as for the .25 I could never manage to get acurracy even when both of my .25 barrel were heavy.. 18" n 24" .. at least for pellets..but the tj 1-22 worked awesome for pellets.. I sold it ..but I have a few barrels on the works..will purchase another when my order is ready..

Reactions: Stretch
You should try a work guard.. it will allow you a better finger placement on the trigger + it strengthen the lower part if the rifle..as for the .25 I could never manage to get acurracy even when both of my .25 barrel were heavy.. 18" n 24" .. at least for pellets..but the tj 1-22 worked awesome for pellets.. I sold it ..but I have a few barrels on the works..will purchase another when my order is ready..
The Wokguard is a good idea. I think I'll see if anyone has a spare they don't need.

One thing I've noticed, and this .might be caused by the flexing you talked about, is that when I squeeze the trigger slowly my groups are much larger than if I snap the trigger quickly. The trigger is stock, I haven't polished or lubed it at all. But as it is the pull weight isn't horrible and the trigger is reasonably crisp, so I'm surprised by this change in accuracy.