Shooting slugs question

HI I read thread , First i make and shoot alot of slugs , and while I Know slugs preform best over 75 yards , here is what is true , All of my slug guns shoot sub Moa @100 yards , they also shoot under sub 1/2 moa at 50 yds and hold tight beyond 200m ,

Now I shoot my guns with pellets if I am shooting say short range say 20 to say 70 yds as all of my guns pretty much shoot pellets 1 ragged hole at this range , so while I can shoot or hunt with either , pellets are better close range for smaller quarry , squirrels , crows ,

But for say Coyotes I need the power and penetration of a solid slug , or woodchucks long range.

So Centercut is right ,groups with sligs stay tighter then pellets past 100 yards but groups do not shrink .

also I saw some pretty wild groups here , before I would compare my gun to how well it is shooting you need to get it to group first , weather it is you moving like Bob says or possible it is tune or sizing or dirty barrel or flaws , get gun shooting pellets good or slugs good then compare , if everything is wild you got other issues and it is not choosing proper slug for your guns power and twist rate and matching size to barrel

LOU

HI I read thread , First i make and shoot alot of slugs , and while I Know slugs preform best over 75 yards , here is what is true , All of my slug guns shoot sub Moa @100 yards , they also shoot under sub 1/2 moa at 50 yds and hold tight beyond 200m ,

Now I shoot my guns with pellets if I am shooting say short range say 20 to say 70 yds as all of my guns pretty much shoot pellets 1 ragged hole at this range , so while I can shoot or hunt with either , pellets are better close range for smaller quarry , squirrels , crows ,

But for say Coyotes I need the power and penetration of a solid slug , or woodchucks long range.

So Centercut is right ,groups with sligs stay tighter then pellets past 100 yards but groups do not shrink .

also I saw some pretty wild groups here , before I would compare my gun to how well it is shooting you need to get it to group first , weather it is you moving like Bob says or possible it is tune or sizing or dirty barrel or flaws , get gun shooting pellets good or slugs good then compare , if everything is wild you got other issues and it is not choosing proper slug for your guns power and twist rate and matching size to barrel

LOU

Excellent summary, IMO. My shooting is similar in many ways but instead of air guns slugs I usually go to rimfire (.22LR, .22 magnum, .17HMR all available) for needs beyond the "pellet" ranges I usually shoot-as you note maybe 75 yards give or take for most pellet shooting. I know that everyone cannot to this due to location and I can understand the value of air gun slugs for those individuals. Getting some consistency out of the gun seems like step #1 for now, with whatever ammo serves your needs.

yes correct first you need to get your gun shooting as best as possible usually under 1/2moa at 50yds , then you can compare ammo but if you shooting over 2 moa at 50 , you need to fix issues or spend more time shooting off a stable rest , 

I used to shoot 17hmr and rimfires , but to be honest , all of my pcp guns out shoot my 22 rimfires and 17hmr , Pcps came along way in last 5 years along with slugs avail to buy , I make most of mine because I use solid slugs mostly and I use heavier then most

If I was asked which is more accurate 10 yrs ago Id say rimfires but not any more , pcps much better for long range and many pcp platforms out preform fpe as well .LOU

Are you shooting from a stable rest?

This shooting was on the floor with a bipod.

I can understand all I had read here and what you say it’s right if you want to compare you need to have a « protocol » but I didn’t compared pellet vs slugs, I’ve just compared slugs @40m vs slugs @50m+wind.

The day I had shoot @40m I had great groups with pellets so I don’t think that I’m in cause of dispersion of slugs @40m, and the day after i really not believed make something right @50m but pellets were flying with all this wind and the box of slugs was there so I tried..

I will test more seriously @20,30,40 and we see what will be the result.

All my ammunitions are cleaned and lubed and my barrel was cleaned 100shoots ago.
I will receive a high precision balance this week so I will check difference in weight too.

yes correct first you need to get your gun shooting as best as possible usually under 1/2moa at 50yds , then you can compare ammo but if you shooting over 2 moa at 50 , you need to fix issues or spend more time shooting off a stable rest , 

I used to shoot 17hmr and rimfires , but to be honest , all of my pcp guns out shoot my 22 rimfires and 17hmr , Pcps came along way in last 5 years along with slugs avail to buy , I make most of mine because I use solid slugs mostly and I use heavier then most

If I was asked which is more accurate 10 yrs ago Id say rimfires but not any more , pcps much better for long range and many pcp platforms out preform fpe as well .LOU

Your experience has been dramatically different than mine, but I don't shoot large caliber PCP's. No way I would reach for a PCP over a .17 HMR if I needed to hit my target beyond 100 yards. If it works for you, that's good.