• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shooting round balls

000 buck is .36 cal, and I'm not thinking it would do anything but roll out the barrel.

Yeah, you’re right, sorry about that. I was reading off a chart that lists ammo for all the caliber of Sam Yang different versions. The .500 round ball was right next to the 000 buck for the recluse.

Will recommended the .500 round ball from ballisticproducts. I wanted to try some but never got it ordered. They call it Super Buck buckshot. It doesn't give a weight but 2.2 pellets = 1 oz. so I am thinking maybe around 175 or 180 grains?

I like the NSA 230 grain, just wish they made a slug that was a little heavier. I think 230 grain is about right for non power tuned guns though. 

My limited experience with round balls has been with my Texan .308 and Sam Yang 909 .45. Neither shoots round balls worth a $#!t. The Texan is just too powerful and a) cracked the sound barrier, b) they were all over the place at anything longer than 50 yards, and c) they leaded up the barrel instantly. As far as the Sam Yang, they are not as bad but 35 yard groups were about 4" where as cast 158 gr. bullets were touching holes, and at 100 yards was about 1.5" to 2". 

The pic below is four shots at 35 yards. the right side is round balls, the left is cast/sized bullets (the small red-dot group is a .25 pcp)

I have yet to see a case where round balls out performed a quality sized/lubed cast bullet. There's probably an exception, but that would it....an exception.

4shots35yards909sbornwildchair.1612964749.jpg