• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shooting Red Wolf 🐺 at 💯 Yards - Feedback Please?

I have been shooting some really small groups with my RedWolf 22 with 25g re-ds. 

I’m quite pleased with the rifle. The trigger is fantastic. Not pulling back on a spring every time is fantastic. Extremely high overall velocity and accuracy is fantastic. The stock is beautiful. I could keep going.

The only thing I don’t like about it, it’s not perfect. Ha!

Take a look down below at the cards and groups I have been throwing out with this rifle. They are awesome. I love it. But it’s not a half inch rifle. And only in really good conditions is it an MOA rifle. It will occasionally shoot a 1/2 inch group when the moon the sun and the stars combine. (Shooter wind scope pellet barrel wind temp butterfly 🦋).

I still get wild shots, especially in the wind. 

Is there a rifle/pellet/scope/shooter combination that really shoots accurately consistently at 100 yards in relatively windy conditions?

for those of you who have multiple calibers of red wolf, which does the best in the wind at 100 yards? 

I bet the 22s shoot the best in great conditions.

mike

1598117550_4155453665f4156ae3a7af9.47154919.jpeg
1598117550_13671982955f4156aeafff34.51499935.jpeg

@ThomasAir has posted the best of us so far but my wife and a couple of others have posted good scores. Like you say, the rifle/ammo/shooter combo is not really half inch yet. I've shot a lot of half inch groups but consult your ballistic program and see how LITTLE it takes of missed wind call to drop you into the next ring. Your groups and general shooting posts look pretty good in my view. I've even shot thousands of rounds indoor with even less success. Best conditions for me is about 1 or 2 mph fairly constant. Today I had seemingly near perfect conditions and best I could muster was a 234. I think I reached the accuracy limit of the batch I was shooting. If it happens again, might have to break out the good stuff I've been hoarding. My rifle is definitely better than that.

Some batches are DEFINITELY better than others.....

As @Bucketboy says, you might try different velocities if you can. For mine, 970 is as good as it gets with a good batch.

So everyone seems to be pointing me towards different pellets. Which is a good thing, that means there’s a path. 

where does one find these special batches? Is it pure luck? If so how many tins do you purchase at a time? I found if I order too many at a time they can get damaged in shipping, because they tend to over pack it into a big box. So I’ve been ordering batches of 20. I buy from the company that uses those nice round Styrofoam holders.

I ordered a half a dozen tins from AOA with the rifle. And then at the same time ordered 20 more tins from pyramid. The ones that came with the rifle were absolutely atrocious. The ones from pyramid are the ones I’ve been shooting and showing pictures of, they are pretty decent.

if I had only ordered pellets from AOA I would’ve hated the rifle right out of the box. 

Is there some kind of a black market for these special batches that you can only get through a guy named Colonel Hogan?

thanks

mike

Not that I shoot as much as you guys all do but in the last month or so I have been shooting more. I noticed and paid attention to my hold and pressuring the rifle. Using a bipod and rear bag you have to be especially careful with the hold. I can have a really good group going and lose focus on one shot or sometimes more and it flies high and right. The ones that drop low are usually wind pushing the pellet down that is just undetectable to the human eye. Unless you have a great set up like thomasair there is some movement and it’s very necessary to be consistent on your hold. Also, pellets are luck. We have received a really good Pellets from AOA and sometimes not so good ones. We keep track of the good ones and hold on to them for competition and continue testing others. I shot 6 cards yesterday in 1-3 mph variable wind conditions and the best I could do was 229 and that was finally changing to known good shooting pellets. I tried 2 others tins that just seemed to scatter without predictability. I must also say since we bought the new Graham wind flags it has helped quite a bit. It’s easy to get frustrated, I know I do plenty while I’m shooting. I try to make it a learning experience instead and hopefully will continue to improve. 

Not that I shoot as much as you guys all do but in the last month or so I have been shooting more. I noticed and paid attention to my hold and pressuring the rifle. Using a bipod and rear bag you have to be especially careful with the hold. I can have a really good group going and lose focus on one shot or sometimes more and it flies high and right. The ones that drop low are usually wind pushing the pellet down that is just undetectable to the human eye. Unless you have a great set up like thomasair there is some movement and it’s very necessary to be consistent on your hold. Also, pellets are luck. We have received a really good Pellets from AOA and sometimes not so good ones. We keep track of the good ones and hold on to them for competition and continue testing others. I shot 6 cards yesterday in 1-3 mph variable wind conditions and the best I could do was 229 and that was finally changing to known good shooting pellets. I tried 2 others tins that just seemed to scatter without predictability. I must also say since we bought the new Graham wind flags it has helped quite a bit. It’s easy to get frustrated, I know I do plenty while I’m shooting. I try to make it a learning experience instead and hopefully will continue to improve.

Sandy, how do you know which pellets are the 'good ones?' 

As an example, let's say I buy a 10-sleeve of RDs from Trenier. Is their any visual way of knowing which ones are better than another? I have heard or read that the deep cavity may possibly be more accurate than the shallow cavity JSB RD 25g .22 pellets, but other than close inspection, how do you know or keep track of the better pellets?

I assume you might be just shooting from a particular tin, and if they shoot well and look to be good, that's how you know. I'm just curious if there is any other hints...

Tx...Tom

I'm naive when it comes to 

If you search back through the posts of @ThomasAir, he details his search for good ammo somewhat. When we visited him, he was more in depth ... detailing the hundreds of hours of trying to find what makes one better than others. Let me just say, it was a LOT of work.... and he wasn't able to really find a correlation that was repeatable. Soooo... the proof is in the shooting. 

I was testing one day and for some reason couldn't get groups under 3" at 100 with my RW. VERY unusual ... A friend handed me a tin from another batch and my first group out was .6". They pretty much continued in that area till I went back to the others and BAM.... 3" again. Found nothing that gave an indication. Bluebaby's rifle shot those quite well though. You just have to try them. If you find a tin that's good and ARE ABLE to specify more of those, that would be the best approach.

When I was shooting yesterday , had very nice conditions and it looked like all I could depend on was 8 ring and better with that batch. I'm sure it was the ammo in that case. When testing yours, whatever batch I had was pretty good in it because I did just as well in much tougher conditions.

Shooting is the fun part, anyway...

Bob

Part of this is just "pellet guns shooting pellets"! Going off memory here, and we didn't measure them, but I watched Mike/Thomas shoot two 5 shot groups back to back at 100Y with his HPX in medium winds, one was in the 0's vertical and .3" wide and the other was probably .3" tall and .5" wide. Then as pellets will do, a few shots went low in the 7 ring during that 25 round card. Most went in the 9 or 10 ring.

For darned sure it wasn't his BR rest or bag because that thing does not move. He touts very low ES as well.

The slightest wind/wind change, or the slightest deviation during the time the pellet is in the barrel can screw up a group. 

I suppose my stance right now is pellet guns will be pellet guns at 100Y even though some can exhibit fantastic precision at 50Y. I'm leaning towards the extremely low BC in the .04's only going 900-1000-ish fps as the main cause of flyers.

I do know that some 22rf' BR rifles can average .6" at 100Y in good conditions with tested ammo. 6mmPPC centerfires can average in the .1's at 100Y. A 40gr 22rf bullet is in the .13-.17 G1 BC at 1060 fps and a 65gr 6mm bullet is in the .28 G1 BC range at 3300 fps. That's a massive difference!

Buy JSBs from Trenier and request one tin of each of 2 or 3 or 4 tins whatever amount of different lots#s they have then shoot groups from each tin. Buy ALL of that lot number CASES right away. Use those crappy JSBs for plinking at close range or to season your barrel. Make sure your credit card has at least $20k maybe $30k to charge before calling on that second order.

Longer you dilly dilly the less chance of getting best accurate pellets. Buy 2x lifetimes worth when you find that sub MOA lot batch. 

They are unlike the good old days where they all were accurate when QC mattered.

Only other alternative is to swage your own match grade pellets to get consistent regular sub MOA groups at 100 yards.

I know many have not seriously pursued 25m BR....but there are a lot of things that can be brought to light by doing so at various ranges around the country. 

Ground heat has a lot to do with what happens to a light pellet at 25m. If it’s a very sunny day and you are shooting over gravel or bare ground and the wind lets up....it will be a bad time to shoot because all the ground heat rising up will carry your pellet up a ring or two sometimes. The flags can be completely dead and you will wonder what happened. Increase the distance to 100y and now you have 16 times the pellet movement from the same force of air.

Shooting over grass and in a shaded area with trees will produce the best groups in low wind conditions with the least vertical.

Mike