Shooting kneeling or sitting, elbow propped on knee. Any tips?

When shooting using your natural wobble area, always remember to fire going into the target, not going away.
Seems pretty simple and you may already be aware of the technique, but surprisingly enough some folks are unaware.
The general thought of trying to freeze your motion or hold dead on when you are wobbling only leads to more error in my experience. For me, the more I concentrate on controlling the wobble, the more pronounced it becomes, and I lose focus on breath control and follow through.
Practice the position and adjust to see what gives you the smallest wobble area.

Try to avoid GRABBING the trigger to fire when you use the technique, stage the trigger so that you can feel the sear and then apply your slow deliberate squeeze when you are going into the target on your swing. Practice and timing will get you there.

What works for me or for anyone else for that matter may not work for you.
Find what's comfortable for you. Refine that position/hold. Practice it until it becomes second nature. Make it the first thing you do when you shoot if not the only thing. Practice, Practice, Practice.
I shoot FT and the forced positions kicked my butt when I started. If I got one out of eight it was luck. Now I get about 50-60%.

You didn’t say if you are sitting on a bum bag or just on the ground. Sitting on something to get your butt up a little will help your cg move more toward the gun and will require less muscle.

There are FT positions that use less core strength to hold which I prefer. One is called the deadman. It’s basically sitting cross legged with the gun resting on both knees. It requires flexibility to get your eye down to the scope….but can be very steady once you have gotten good at it. It’s not easy at first….but worth the effort to master.

Mike

Reactions: ITACUD
Non bench "accurate shooting " requires a lot of PRACTICE but it is possible...my prefered position is sitting in a chair left leg over right knee (crossed) left elbow on left knee...and a gun with a good trigger...been doing this 12 years and Bullpup style guns with the weight at the back was a natural for me. A high powered scope helps also...I shot this target board a few days ago...simulating the "30 yard challenge" targets, just to see how I would do shooting my style non benched. Gun was a Taipan Veteran standard .22 shooting JSB 18's @ 875 fps at 31.5 measured yards. Light intermittent breeze. I did clean the barrel and shot a few sighters and shot the target like I always do...I wasn't at my marksmanship best as I just finished mowing 2 ac on a zero turn mower. On a good day I could do much better...I learned to shoot springers this way and now pcp's feel like cheating! This position
20220915_154111.jpg
20220906_153054.jpg
20220906_155416.jpg
works for me...also thumbs up to the Veteran's great trigger! Group with the dime was weeks ago same gun position and range forget if 5 or 10 shots.

Reactions: Chuck-in-Ohio