Shooting Inside a Barn Setup Guidance

I help a couple of dairy farmers with birds eating and pooping on their feed. The barn is the typical post and beam with a metal roof and I have limited myself to super careful shots with a solid wood back stop or only select outside targets. There are some shots I would have liked to take but didn't because of the possibility of ventilating a metal roof. I have a WC II and Veteran Shorty in .25 and a chrony. Could somebody please advise how I might set those up so they won't be metal roof ventilators? Suggestions about reg pressure, hammer spring tension, type and weight of pellet, etc.? Thanks for any guidance.

You don't need much power shooting at these extremely short ranges. My old .22 springer shooting light pellets at 840fps would poke holes in metal roofs. I've killed thousands of pigeoms and starling inside of buildings with a .22 shooting 640-650fps.

I prefer wadcutters because they hit hard and the flat nose spreads the energy over a larger surface area resulting in less penetration.

A low power optic, 3x or 4x, works best for me. A light attached to the side is a must.

Practice & know impact points for extreme angles and short ranges.

Uk power limits us to 12 fpe, this equates to approximately 570fps in .22, there are thousands of vermin dispatched here each year so shot placement is more important than power. 

That said, even with our feeble power restrictions, damage can easily be done to property by a misplaced pellet. For ranges less than 25yard, .25 running at 525fps is a popular choice among pest controller and hunters, .25 hit hard but don’t over penetrate so less likely to cause damage.

A couple of the big advantages of low power airguns they are much quieter, use less air in pcp, much easier to cock with a springer

Bb

Thank You to all with the ideas. I think I'll try to detune the Veteran .25 to 525 FPS (I think 800 would still be to hard but I'll try it) and shoot some polymags that will be here on Monday. I also have a scrap piece of roofing tin from my house from a roofing extension that I can experiment with. Have punched some holes in it already just experimenting. I can't always guarantee I'll hit it at an angle so it has to be straight on and not do more than dent. Poly mags or wadcutters may deform fast and not penetrate, but what if I miss. That's pretty likely.

I do have a benjamin woodswalker in .22 that a friend has. Maybe that's a better choice. Oh Well! It's fun and an excuse to try different things. The thought that I need another rifle is gaining some momentum.😉

Not to dissuade you from getting a new gun, but you could easily make your PRod into a barn gun. This is my "yard gun". It's the black version of your Woodswalker. The moderator is a DonnyFL Tatsu. I chose a .25 cal so there wouldn't be clipping issues. The stock is re-purposed archery parts. A Beiter carbon side rod with quick disconnect attached to an AR butt pad. .22 15.9 JSBs at 645fps for 14.7fpe. Very quiet. The pellets hitting ground squirrels and rabbits makes more noise.

1561845365_6315261245d17de75495323.03026500_IMG_0002.JPG

1561845468_14786947355d17dedc1e3ff8.57101857_IMG_0003.JPG