• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Shooting in the wind, a primer.

Windmeister

Dealer
Oct 4, 2015
AZ
Most shooters, unless you only shoot indoors, have encountered wind. And probably been relatively irritated by it.

Wind is a bit tricky for a couple of reasons, and not for the reason that it push our pellets/bullets of target. 
One is that we are shooting close to the ground and have to deal with wind gradients under roughly 10m (or 10+ yds) of height in flat areas. If it's not flat, i.e. forests, hills, canyons, this rises significantly. What this means is that while you can have 15mph winds at 10yds in one direction, you can have as little as 3mph of wind at 2yds above ground, and in a different direction. So the primary concern we should have is what is the wind in the exact trajectory corridor of the projectile, which we cannot know for certain, because of the way we look and measure the wind. Even if you were allowed the most sensitive equipment invented. You are bound to measure the wind a little lower than the projectile corridor. With the above knowledge you now know that the wind speed is going faster where your bullet is, in relation to where you are reading the wind speed.

The curve is logarithmic, meaning that in theory at least, at zero height above ground (infinite) the wind speed is infact zero. (pressure is not zero though)
So let's for arguments sake say you are measuring 10mph at 10yds in the air, by the the time you are 2yds of the ground that speed has sunk to about 7.5mph, by the time you are 1yds above ground it shrunk to about 6 mph. Keep in mind we are making the assumption that we are on relatively flat ground with few obstructions. Now in our situation we have dont have flat areas....ever. So two things are going to happen, the wind speed in a particular direction will slow down much faster along this curve until it changes direction completely and build speed in a new direction. That is why on some ranges with large structures, berms along the shooting direction, and such, are very hard to shoot in. 
This coupled with the other big "forgotten" physical fact that air has mass, and vary depending on barometric pressure and humidity, makes it very tough to accurately predict the wind close to the ground.
Mass I think is easily forgotten when considering wind speed. For example you often hear, the wind just picked up, or just died. And most people will think, ohh it went from X speed to Y speed in an instant. It doesn't, it has mass, and is governed by the same physical laws that dictate that something in motion wants to stay in motion until acted on. This presents a unique problem for us shooters, since the age old way of measuring wind are devices that are free running, i.e. not tensioned or culled. And pr. their design suffer from inertial lag. Example if you have a propeller spinning at 10mph, and the wind picks up or dies down, the delay between the wind and the propeller showing what the wind is actually doing at this slice of time, takes time, and therefore inaccurate by default . That delay length is dictated by inertia and mass of the system, which is why so many shooters that are good at shooting in the wind have spend countless hours and rounds on the range, to learn by experience what the wind flags actually are telling them, and makes judgement calls based on that. 

So now "we" have compounded the problem. We know airflow close the ground (under 10yds) is very unstable, yet we use measuring systems that assumes you are above 10 yds (pr. flat ground, calm ocean) to tell us what the wind is doing. Of Course you work with what you have, and some indication is better than no indication. In light steady winds across a range you can estimate fairly well what's going to happen to your trajectory. But as soon as it becomes a little unstable, or shifts direction and or speed, we are in trouble.

There are some spreadsheets out there that let you predict the curve. They are used by, among others, engineers to figure out how tall a windfarm masts needs to be in regards to it's terrain.

Yes the wind force generally diminishes as it gets closer to the ground. And as you imply, "Wind is a bit tricky for a couple of reasons, and not for the reason that it push our pellets/bullets of target.".
One of those reasons relates to the misconception that a pellet traveling at speed X in a lateral wind of speed Y is meeting an X speed headwind according to the pellet's BC; and being pushed sideways by a Y speed lateral wind according to some lateral pellet profile BC. Sounds logical but is not the way it works.
This brief note by Steve Woodward summarizes the real phenomenon. ... "An 800fps pellet fired into a 15fps (10mph) crosswind doesn't fly in an 800fps relative wind on its nose and a 15fps wind on its side. It flies instead in a single (8002 + 152)1/2 = 800.1fps wind coming only tan-1(15/800) = 1o away from straight dead ahead.
And its effective BC relative to that nearly dead-ahead net wind is therefore indistinguishable from its BC in totally dead-air conditions. ... Steve" ... End quote.
So the wind "deflection" is based upon the direction imposed by the net drag from a pellet traveling down range with a slight yaw of repose, if relatively stable; or the net drag effect of a pellet undergoing precession if less than stable.
Thus to "beat the wind" we look for the pellet with the best drag coefficient (lowest) that will shoot with stability over the range we require; and with a favorable velocity and trajectory profile to meet our requirements.

Another note to add to Windmeister's information is that shooting as close as possible to the top of the wind flags and indicators is putting the pellet path through possible turbulence induced by those very structures. I doubt anyone has yet objectively measured that effect; but as implied, long experience allows some shooters to consistently do a better job of adjusting to conditions than others may. ... Kind regards, Harry. 

Yrrah, Excellent information!
That information is great, and explains pellet/bullet behaviour in wind. I am thinking of it like this, so I can get my head around it. If there is say 10mph wind straight from the left. It's like shooting out of a passenger side window of a car going 10mph (with no wind outside of course) The imparted momentum by the car far outweighs the air it travels trough down range, but will get deflected slightly by the "oblique" angle it travels through the air. Please correct me if my thoughts are incorrect.

I know there is a possibility of turbulence created by the very devices used to measure it, however I do believe at those spots down the range that might happen is a tradeoff you could accept, in return for better wind accuracy read.
I also believe you would be better off hanging your target as high as possible on the backboard, to get your trajectory as high as possible to avoid the turbulence happening further down. 

Don't see why it would, it has everything to do with ballistic momentum. 
There has been done a fair bit of math on it, and if you section out the shot distance in 3. It shows that if there is X wind in the first 3rd leg, even if the wind turned a 180 the rest of the way, you would barely get back to a parallel course to the shot line but be off the target however much happened in the first 3rd leg.
If I am not mistaken, if you had 10mph wind in the first 3rd leg, and no wind in the last 2. and compared that drift, with a scenario where there is no wind in the first third leg, and 10mph in the last two, the drift would be less in the last scenario than the first. I know, it's completely non intuitive. Until you draw it out on paper.

Given that wind has a large effect on accuracy, improving wind flags should be a good area of investigation.

Like most BR shooters I use flags that pivot horizontally on a vertical shaft set in bearings. The flag orientation tells which direction wind is moving, and the tail roughly indicates velocity.

I modified one flag and rotated the pivot shaft to horizontal as a kind of "windicator". The wind tips the vane right or left from 12:00 position as a function of the lateral component of wind velocity. The problem is the angle of the flat surface of the vane with respect to the wind changes as it tips, responding less and less as the vane is blown toward horizontal. ie, response to wind is not linear.

However if you read up on force as a function of wind velocity, it scales with the square. ie, if wind velocity increases by double, then force increases by 4X, etc. We're interested in lateral wind force on the projectile. So a good windicator should indicate force exerted on the projectile - and suggest in real time the degree of hold-off (target rings, etc).

The Windmeister appears to use a foam ball to deflect in wind, which should help by presenting the same silhouette to cross-wind regardless of angle. Not sure how it responds to wind velocity, however.

Hi kim.

You are pointing out a very unique problem. I have solved this in two ways. One as you are pointing out, using a ball as part of the system. Its no longer foam but hollow. Anyhow.
I also use flat cf pieces to provide additional surface area. Knowing what you are saying about the angle of deflection becomes important. So I use a relatively long torque rod to minimize this. At full tilt I think the rod is less than 8 degrees of center.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is, regardless of deflection you can messure how much wind it takes to push the system, accounting for the deflection angle. So it should still be accurate as far as wind speed goes.
As long as you factor in the reduced drag coefficient of the slant angle as the vane rotates slightly, as well as reduce its cross section facing the wind by a tiny amount, you are good.
The windmeister sense and move in wind as small as 0.2mph. With that sensitivity setting. It takes about 10 +/- 0.2 mph to push the ball to the outside ring(center), which is 5" from the center.

The new ball is also larger 2.5" dia. So much larger area for the wind to act on. And much easier to see at distance.