• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shooting in the back yaaaard ISSUES?

Similar issue. I live on 2 acres with my neighbor's open field behind my back fence. Yet, I have another neighbor ( that shoots powder burners in their yard ) roll up on his golf cart and give me the spanish inquisition on what I'm shooting. I told him they were air rifles. He even took a metal detector and went all over behind my fence trying to find a "bullet". Then he constantly rides his golf cart over and just sits and stares into my backyard. Really creepy. I'm like OP, I don't want to inflame the situation, so I just ignore him. However I'm seriously considering the huge expense of putting up a wooden privacy fence now.
Geeze you have all the luck !

I would simply tell her that "I'm not going to shoot her kid." "I am not an A$%hole!" If that isn't enough then keep the kid out of my yard.

Another option is a fence?

However if you pulled the muzzle of your gun back inside the house about 6-10 feet she probably couldn't hear it anyway. Also I have one of the Buck Rail Moderators and it works pretty well. Can't go wrong for $24 ???

I have an Idiot Karen Woman who lives behind me I have a decent sized back yard but can't shoot there because of her. I shoot in my shop where nobody can hear what is going on but I am limited to 15 yards max and I usually only shoot 10 yards..

I have a Bat Sh*t Karen next to property that I purchased a year ago, she is the Neighborhood Terrorist and has caused non stop problems for me and my neighbors. She has called the DNR and EGLE on me for clearing my property, I am sure once she see's me setting up a range and shooting it will start all over again. I also own another property and currently going through a HOA nightmare, I have been slapped with a $ 400.00 + 2 dollar a day fine and a lien on my property if not resolved, next week I will be talking to a Attorney to see what my options are. I feel for you.

Does anyone that shoot in the back yard have a neighbor come over and question what your doing as your PCP sounds like a gun going off?

How do you deal with that ? What do you say? I looked at the local laws here in GA and it's totally legal to shoot a PCP rifle on your property. I explained that this is a pellet rifle and shooting targets. She still seemed concerned as her kids on occasion may walk through my back yard as it's easy access to the woods and creek crossing as I have a small bridge and makes it easy access. Honestly I dont mind. I dont want to stir up anything nor do I want to create any tension in the neighborhood. I didnt say anything to inflame the situation like hey keep your kids off my property or there trespassing or nothing at all. I do not want to stir stuff up. Regardless If I hear kids in the back I stop shooting and just call it a day. In this particular instance the kids were no where near my property or the back yard the parent still felt compelled to ring my door bell and question me as she heard me shooting.

I understand thier concern as I have kids too. Just looking to hear about what if anyone else out there has said or done in a similar situation.

The setting: I live on a flood plane so there are no houses close to me. My back yard is HUGE since its a flood plane there are no homes directly behind me for at least 500yds if not more. I have a house on each side they sit about 30 yds on one side and I have a vacant lot on the other and the next house is like 100yds away. I shoot from a window that faces out to the back of the house. It's all woods with a creek in the back. Kids from the neighborhood like to go back into the woods and play in the creek which runs behind my house.

NOTE: I added a picture of my back yard. For more context. I live at the End of a cul-de-sac which backs up to a wooded preserve (30-50 acre) flood plane. I see more dear and coytee back there than kids. BUT they do wander back there and I'm sure this summer when it warms up there will be more showings.

I have an old wheel barrel as a backstop to my zero targets. As you can see in the picture. Do i need to move it closer to the targets?

View attachment 341717
I live in a HOA with one side of my house against a large forested area similar to yours.
The nearby house are about 10-15 yards away.
The HOA can adopt rules to prevent anyone from shooting anything (like in my case).
It only takes one neighbor like yours for everything to go downhill, as in HOA preventing you from shooting anything.

What I have done:
-made my targets (located in the forest) as invisible as possible by painting them green por placing them in hard to reach places
-added LDCs (mostly homemade or 3D printed) to every airgun
-shoot from inside the house through the window
-and of course deny any shooting

In your case I would add a fence to my property preventing anyone from passing through.
Also, you could move your targets in harder to reach places like among the trees on the left or right.

I gave up on shooting anything that makes noise. I shoot mostly self sealing spinner type targets. People don't care or worry about what they don't know. I even only take headshots on starlings because body shots pop too much. Shooting bells or old frying pans is just asking for unwanted attention unless you live somewhere no one else but you can hear it. I personally love that my guns are quiet and that's the reason people can mostly still shoot them at home. Making noise on purpose is just making problems.
What self healing targets are you shooting?
Do you have any links?

I live in town and have about 22 yards to shoot inside parallel to my wooden fence. I shoot a FX 500 and a 400. Both have factory moderators. I shoot into a 6X6 block of wood at paper targets so the impact is pretty quiet. I am about 3 feet away from the sidewalk. I sometimes wait until someone is walking next to where I am behind the wooden fence before I shoot. Never has anyone reacted to the shot. It doesn't make the sound of a gun so doesn't register as a gunshot.

Silence is golden! Be discreet! Splatterburst paper targets and a spotting scope to check POI. Save larger caliber guns above .22 for a range or property that has no HOA or oversight and fence your property if allowed and mark it no trespassing. Lastly use moderators and create a sound wave deflection walls or a box - or shoot in a room out a small window. Remember sound travels faster when there is a low overhead like clouds and it’s cold. I’m enjoying my .177 field target guns more than I ever did my .25&.30’s because they are so quiet. Just my thoughts but don’t let the way you’re shooting ruin your hobby. I use hay bails to surround my targets to help contain the lead and everything I shoot is at ground level.

Reactions: HogKiller
Someone wrote on this forum "out of sight, out of sound." People can't object to things they can't see, nor hear. I don't think they can smell pellets unless you are using a spring air that is dieseling badly and surly you don't want anyone touch one.

So use a moderated .177 from inside the home, shooting into duct seal or rubber mulch with targets made of damp paper. Target backing plate should be foam or rubber not cardboard which is loud. Make sure the targets are not visible by any neighbors. I assume everyone has a video camera and video evidence shown to the HOA board can quickly get a new rule passed.

I have a .25 that shoots 25g at 50 fpe that sounds like a woosh of air and click of the hammer no one would think that it is firing an airgun. I did have to upgrade my targets to use mulch with a rubber backing plate or the impacts were too revealing. When I tune it to shoot 34g at 60 fpe it is louder and I wouldn't want to shoot it repetitively or it may raise questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxtrouble
The law in my town, (in SoCal) says I cannot...shoot pellet or BB guns in the back yard.
So yeah, I have issues !

Mike
Ditto in my area in Santa Clara Valley NOT San Jose were it's a felony to fly an American Flag, BUT, I'm moderated and have a road with foot traffic just over my fence and past heavy Oleander, ZERO issues. When I say zero I mean ZERO not a peep as in "what was that". To the OP, I think you'll have a problem if you don't moderate and keep a real low profile. I detest HOA's.

Silence is golden! Be discreet! Splatterburst paper targets and a spotting scope to check POI. Save larger caliber guns above .22 for a range or property that has no HOA or oversight and fence your property if allowed and mark it no trespassing. Lastly use moderators and create a sound wave deflection walls or a box - or shoot in a room out a small window. Remember sound travels faster when there is a low overhead like clouds and it’s cold. I’m enjoying my .177 field target guns more than I ever did my .25&.30’s because they are so quiet. Just my thoughts but don’t let the way you’re shooting ruin your hobby. I use hay bails to surround my targets to help contain the lead and everything I shoot is at ground level.
I shoot both .22 and .25, but I've got a Donny Sumo on the .25. I've got the mother of all Karens 50ish yards away. But I scare here, and rightly so. It's a long expensive story there.

Interesting. Not so much your predicament, as the responses. You can probably tell the age group of the respondent by the type of response.
For example:
Oldest group." To heck with the Karen. Do what you want on your own property. Go pound sand" lol
Not as old group. " Be careful. Put up fences. Keep those darn kids off your property" Forgetting you have kids of your own who have friends and visitors.
Middle age group. " Change the way you shoot. Make allowances. Work with her and make assurances"
Youngest group. " Change everything about the way you enjoy your property, even if you are not breaking any laws" Submit to the whims of the neighbors
who have not even complained yet. Perhaps stop altogether. Stay quiet. Be demure."
Not siding with any group or complaining about the responses. To each their own.
I wish I had at least some good advice, but I do not. My situation is much different than your. Just making observations and finding a little humor in the responses.
America, the land of the free, if the neighbors say it is ok.
Best of luck with your situation.

Doc

Ditto in my area in Santa Clara Valley NOT San Jose were it's a felony to fly an American Flag, BUT, I'm moderated and have a road with foot traffic just over my fence and past heavy Oleander, ZERO issues. When I say zero I mean ZERO not a peep as in "what was that". To the OP, I think you'll have a problem if you don't moderate and keep a real low profile. I detest HOA's.

I always look for houses with HOA because there is always THAT GUY that will park many cars on the lawn and make all sorts of noise.

With neighbors all aroundI shoot 6-10 FPE 177 which is very quiet, I even switched out my printed target paper with soft paper towel with sharpie marks just so it's quieter. Even with that I don't shoot without some background noise. Yes, I even put in a small fountain for background water noise........

Reactions: merpo
Similar issue. I live on 2 acres with my neighbor's open field behind my back fence. Yet, I have another neighbor ( that shoots powder burners in their yard ) roll up on his golf cart and give me the spanish inquisition on what I'm shooting. I told him they were air rifles. He even took a metal detector and went all over behind my fence trying to find a "bullet". Then he constantly rides his golf cart over and just sits and stares into my backyard. Really creepy. I'm like OP, I don't want to inflame the situation, so I just ignore him. However I'm seriously considering the huge expense
America, the land of the free, if the neighbors say it is ok.

Doc
Outstanding!!! I am keeping that for future use.

I live in a semi rural area and not so long ago, most all of my neighbors had guns, and shoot them often. my next door neighbor used to call and let us know he was going to be shooting clays just as a head up.
In more recent years, Austin Tx residents have been overflowing into our area, but the old timers still shoot, and when they do, my wife says the Next Door App (whatever that is) goes into full panic mode.

I Shoot my PCPs every day when I am home. My Neighbor across the street is "That Karen" actually "That Doug", but he seems more interested in complaining about my other neighbors livestock, than he does my guns. Maybe if I shot my TalonP without the moderator, I might get his attention.
On second thought, I think I will just continue to shoot the same way I always have so I don't have to mess with ear protection, or Doug!

Last edited:
Outstanding!!! I am keeping that for future use.
MIght I suggest a couple of "Caution Mine Field" signs out there? I refer to Next Door as that group of that German, technically Austrian, fellow back in the 1930's. We had a conservative group(s) on it out numbered the Karens 4:1, they shut down all of the groups.

When I shoot bigger caliber than .22 , at 50 yards in my "shooting trap" described on page 2 , I start my lawn mower ,halfway between the target and my shooting bench ( which is in my workshop ) . the noise of the engine covers all others noises .

So has your neighbors asked why you mow your lawn every day…..in winter? 🤔🤔🤣