• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shooting in the back yaaaard ISSUES?

Putting a fence is not only impractical but would be way cost prohibitive and since I live on a flood plane I don't think I can, even if I wanted too. My lot is 453ft deep and crosses two creeks. If you look at the first picture in the post that entire area goes underwater at least two to three times a year. My bridge has been completely under water and I'm talking rails and all. The creek you see in the foreground is only one of two. The larger Creek "Foe Killer Creek" is part of some state Ordinance and is restricted from really doing anything to with in a certain distance it has some sort of ordinance with it like you cant touch anything within 10ft of it. So no clearing nothing. My property extends to the other side of "Foe Killer Creek" The fence idea is totally out of the question.
Well I guess your going have to put up signs on your property. This Karen and Kevin will get what they want in the long run they will figure something even if it means joining the HOA committee board or even worse going to your City council asking for new laws on the books. They hate to see people happy. Please keep us updated....

My first thought is why would anyone ever move into an HOA governed development .
And that is even before was into air guns or BP or anything else . MY property my doings .
Easy to say, but many urban settings don't offer many options that don't include an HOA. And frankly, although HOAs can be a pain, it is a structure that has benefits for homeowners. We're focused on our air rifle hobby, but consider the owner with a car on jackstands in the driveway, a house in such disrepair that rats are present, all night loud parties, etc.

Reactions: FIDI_G and L.Leon
Easy to say, but many urban settings don't offer many options that don't include an HOA. And frankly, although HOAs can be a pain, it is a structure that has benefits for homeowners. We're focused on our air rifle hobby, but consider the owner with a car on jackstands in the driveway, a house in such disrepair that rats are present, all night loud parties, etc.
I could go on for hours on that subject, but don't want to derail this thread.

I agree, take the HOA seriously.
They can inflict a lot of pain and even take your house if you do not pay dues, fines, etc.
Unless you read the Bylaws VERY closely and find the loophole. Case in point, I was in my first and LAST HOA when we bought our first house A LONG time ago. I wanted to test to see if a tv antenna would work BEFORE I wasted my energy putting it in my attic, I knew darn well that they would beach about it. So, the bylaws stated, "NO antennas higher than the highest point in the development", well surprise that was little ol' me. So I carefully place is 1" below the peak of my 2 story house. Now I knew darn well that the fools would come and make demands so I had a copy of the by-laws in my back pocket with the applicable paragraph highlighted. Yep sure as heck the President comes marching into my yard, demanding that I TAKE IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY. I didn't tell him it was temporary, so I whipped out the bylaws and...oh boy was he ticked. He marched of announcing they were going to change that. Meh, go for it Sparky. The antenna worked great, put it in my attic and didn't have to pay for cable.

Reactions: MDI and jmohme
Just wanted to add that just placing signage doesn’t mean squat in court and you will lose. I went thru this before building my fence years ago around my pond/property.
The property line had the original country barb wire and T posts, all of which had much to be desired as far as keeping critters or anyone out. I wanted to just get by with signage- the NO TRESPASSING and PRIVATE PROPERTY ones. After discussing this with an attorney he said I will lose in court if a kid crosses thru the gaps between the barb wire and hops in my pond and drowns, because not all kids, depending on age, (and some adults): CAN READ!!! Who would’ve thought about that one?!
So he told me the best I can do is to be proactive and build a 6’ tall fence, one that would take major effort to climb, so that way it shows I did all I could.

It’s no different with owning a pool, right? Pools by code must be fenced with auto locking entry gates.

Unless you read the Bylaws VERY closely and find the loophole. Case in point, I was in my first and LAST HOA when we bought our first house A LONG time ago. I wanted to test to see if a tv antenna would work BEFORE I wasted my energy putting it in my attic, I knew darn well that they would beach about it. So, the bylaws stated, "NO antennas higher than the highest point in the development", well surprise that was little ol' me. So I carefully place is 1" below the peak of my 2 story house. Now I knew darn well that the fools would come and make demands so I had a copy of the by-laws in my back pocket with the applicable paragraph highlighted. Yep sure as heck the President comes marching into my yard, demanding that I TAKE IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY. I didn't tell him it was temporary, so I whipped out the bylaws and...oh boy was he ticked. He marched of announcing they were going to change that. Meh, go for it Sparky. The antenna worked great, put it in my attic and didn't have to pay for cable.
You were lucky.
The HOA can adopt rules and regulations to prevent you from doing many things.
They only need to have the HOA board members meet and adopt those rules/regulations.

A bit of side track from the thread but everyone b!tch about HOA till they need one. Friend of mine lives in rural areas for many years, it was beautiful and quiet........until one jacka$$ moved in and built a dirt track on the property and invited his motorcycle club over all the time for dirt track racing parties. HOA may be a pain but far less pain than when "THAT GUY" moves into the neighborhood! Typically they won't buy in HOA areas because they can't be "THAT GUY"!

Biggest issue I had with my HOA so far as been one of my bushes in the front yard is growing into the side walk and obstructing side walk. I can deal with that with my clipper, I can hear a pin drop at night but down side to that is I can't shoot all the time.
That was an extreme case.
In my case the HOA (my alpha male neighbor HOA board member and his old HOA friends) adopted rules that prevented anybody from shooting anything (slingshots, archery, etc).

So yes, HOAs suck big time!

Someone ought to make a CD designed for airgunners with nosy neighbors, titled: “Home Project Noises for The At Home Airgunner”
Song 1- skill saw and hammer- 1 hour
Song 2- Nail gun and Air Ratchet- 1 hour
Song 3- Lawn mower- 2 hours
Song 4- Chainsaw- 30 minutes

Just turn on the stereo, set it to play all 4 “songs” and auto replay to your hearts content. Strategically place speakers at all four corners of your house
I actually played youtube videos with lawnmower and vacuum cleaner sounds to the despair of my HOA alpha male board member neighbor.

If you live in a HOA then it may soon be illegal and HOA can fine your ass for breaking their rules (if they catch you and have proof).
I guess I missed that the OP lived in an HOA. I would never under any circumstances buy house in an HOA. Already pay taxes and certainly don’t need additional fees to be further “governed”.

Reactions: BassMan
You were lucky.
The HOA can adopt rules and regulations to prevent you from doing many things.
They only need to have the HOA board members meet and adopt those rules/regulations.
Oh the dips DID but....in my case it didn't matter. I really dislike HOA's too many Karens and Chucks.

Reactions: qball and jmohme
YES , there are suggestions that could help you . the neighbor adult shoud be shown the air rifle so they know the difference, also they should be informed that their kids should be presented and you and them need to know one another, so they know they can approach you and let you know they are around and do so in a safe manner.
if it were me (i do shoot in my back yard but i do not have the wonderful space you have.) i would run paracord (neon red ,orange ,ect) on both sides of my shooting area 20 feet outside where you actually shoot on each side , with signs posted , hanging on the paracord saying that that is a shooting area and anyone passing should keep out of the line of fire from air guns and not go behind the backstop unless they notify the property owner first (which will probably be ignored but it covers you if an accident does happen)
those two things , the kids knowing they can aproach and notify you of their passing without fear of being in trouble, and the emergency colored paracord physically making a person duck or not be able to pass without noticing the signs every 50 feet. these two things together should keep you safe.
me here in texas the city has ordinance saying that i must keep my projectiles on my property and that not doing so is a offense.
but before 10pm i can shoot without issue.
as a courtesy i call the local pd and let them know when i am shooting big bores without suppression and my aproxamate time that i will be doing so. i do this so they know what to tell people who call in and say they heard a powder burner.
this covers me and makes the locals more reasonable. but check your local city ordinance to see what the laws are before you go calling them and confessing. smiles...
i sure wish i had your property setup.
on YT i am THE LAST WORD and my back yard is so small it is obsurd. but i can get on top my house and shoot down into the shooting area if i want double the distance. haha
i have to make a whole berm wal using rubber mulch over a foot thick to stop upto 51cal stuff. and i have to test it by shooting it at point blank range once a month.
and i had to completely fence off the shooting lane so my great dane can no longer even walk into the lane.( he wanted to investigate the sound of the projectile hitting metal, which would bring my best friend into the lane of fire, i had to stop that.)
my dog knows no better so i have to look out for him by fencing off litteraly both sides of the shooting area. this is pretty expensive but that is my best absolute best friend his name is duke.
so beyond keeping the neighbors safe i have to keep my great dane safe.
that is why i have not made new videos lately, i am still in progress of making the shooting lane and area safe .
and that line of paracord is gonna make it clear to anyone that they need be careful walking through there...
paracord is pretty cheap and laminated signage is not difficult to print out and then laminate.
id be using a bit more of a backstop if you are shooting anything more than .25cal but a wheelbarrow will stop the .25 i think , unless it is an aea challenger , and then maybe not. (that is 80fpe with that air rifle)
and if using a .243(6mm) hornedy super shock projectile , well i will tell ya those are kinda armor peircing at velocities under 1300fps. and that is most of air gun velocities so that projectile will go through your wheelbarrow. i know from experience, it went through a double thick steel house door and 3 inches of rubber mulch in between the two door panels. made swiss cheese of it and i dont shoot those in the back yard anymore.
i also made my barricade 5 times more volume because of it.
(better to error on the side of caution and safety)
well i hope this is helpful . and that those kids learn to cross in safety,(hey hang a bell on the paracord so all they gotta do is wiggle the rope and it will notify you up at the house. smiles)

anyone needing suppression advice, get at me at blindguymbo(at)yahoo(dot)com. tell me what gun you use(if it is an aea or avenger) i have great advice on suppression techniques to improve the stock baffleing or improve the suppression through devices you can readily find on ebay or other sites. i have not quite gotten to the point of making kits for integral suppression yet . but i do have quite good advice. but wont put that here.

rubber mulch inside some container of thin metal or wood that is a foot thick will stop just about any air gun projectile.
semi-trailer mudflaps made of rubber are usually 3/8th inch thick . i have 8 thicknesses for 3 inches thickness. i can put them together for a torso , or separate them to cover a wall. and i put holes in the corners so the can be hung in the air as needed to slow or stop different types and calibers of projectiles.
those 8 mudflaps 24inches by 36inches cost a pretty penny($330)
but i feel safer having them to configure for whatever i am shooting.
THE LAST WORD@ AIRGUNZ_MILITIA (youtube)

smiles if it is legal for you to shoot there on your property , then just notifying the locals that you shoot and maybe before you start shooting will give them something to tell any person who calls and says they heard a gunshot. and it will make that person feel stupid for calling if they already knew it was an air gun abnd they still called and said they heard a gun they would be notified that it is a air gun and they have no worries.
and they probably wont call a second time. and after a duration of this you wont need to call beforehand .
course a line oon each side of paracord with signs hanging every 50ft and a bell on each paracord to notify you if someone wiggles the rope m, that pretty much covers your issues.

yup if kids are walking across that fireing line you are taking chances friend. and the paracord and signage with bells attached to that will save your butt from both doing harm , and getting any kind of prosecutiion or lawsuit against ya. and yes if anyone gets hurt on your property they can sue . or charge. and my suggesstions are to help cover your actions and hobby.
and you really do need some kinde of backstop. a good rubber mudflap for a semi-truck trailer will slow a .25cal and two of them together will stop that same .25cal and a mudflap covering a box 4 inches thick filled with rubber mulch will stop the .25 upto 80fpe... if the rubber mulch volume is 6 inches thick and has a mudflap covering the front it will stopupto 300fpe. and if you use a steel house door and 6inches rubber mulch and then another steel door it will stop a 51 cal at 600fpe.
just sayin. i had to make a wall of the stuff , filled a mini-fridge with rubber mulch and stacked two of my steel door barricades on top of that.
rail road ties will also stop 51cal air gun projectiles.
please shoot safe even on your own property my friend. THE LAST WORD @AIRGUNZ_MILITIA(youtube)

you sir should file suit against your city if there is no provision for you to shoot on your own property like there is here where i live. they make it ilegal to shoot in the city limits but there should be a provision allowing you to shoot on your property as long as the projectiles dont leave your property. if there is not, then you should sue because you will win once it gets appealed to higher courts. no doubt it is your 2nd amendment right to keep and bare arms and that includes training with air guns on your property...
THE LAST WORD @AIRGUNZ_MILITIA(youtube)

smiles i live in the middle of a major metroplex with quarter acre lots and had the same issue. but it is legal for my to shoot as long as i keep the projectiles on my property, so i informed them that air guns are not firearms and that calling the police and saying they hear firearms when that person knows it is an air gun is false reporting and a crime. and then i call the local pd before i shoot and tell them i am shooting an airgun and my location in my backyard. so that when the neighbors call and false report the local pd can inform them that it is not a firearm(which they damn well already know). and i put up a 8 foot tall privacy screen to let them know i dont like their invasion of privacy. and i shoot safely here , making it safe right now with a rubber mulch berm wall and barricades and rubber from semi-trailer mudflaps. and it is safe and working fine and the neighbors can move if they dont like me using my 2nd amendment rights. simple as that...
the fool told me verbally that he had a pistol and would use it and i called and charged him with brandishing his firearm.
so now the neighbor has to use air guns too and i get alot less flack now that they are put in their proper place...