• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shooting Emotions

Whatever your reasons for being a shooter we can all agree that it brings with it some emotions. We share some of those regardless of platform or pursuit. Thoughts of the “first time” you shot a gun. The sweet feeling of hitting what you’re aiming at consistently. Being able to handle your guns proficiently. Most long time shooters know that feeling. Missing our marks? All shooters know that feeling. We’re lucky there are so many good choices in the airgun world. And its just natural that some prefer one brand/platform over another. Its all good, we are lucky to have such a hobby.

Happy Shootin’ New Year!

My first foray into something beyond a pump up BB gun was a '1000fps' Chinese break barrel gun that I saved up for as a kid. I'm sure it was a 500fps gun as it was very inexpensive. Likely a B3-1 or similar. Anyway, I still recall getting it in. It was dark and I went outside to shoot it and of course it dieseled terribly and to this day, every time I smell dieseling, I recall that day.

The next one was my first time into a 'real' adult airgun. I was maybe 8 and had been wanting to take a .22LR out by myself. My dad wouldnt let me and as I was pleading my case, explaining how I was allowed to take a BB gun out on my own, he said 'you can take any bb gun out you want, but you arent taking that .22 out until you're older'. I made up my mind to get the biggest and baddest 'BB gun' I could afford. That was an RWS 36. I saved for two years picking beans and selling coon hides to buy it and after counting out money to my mom to write a check, I waited the '6-8 weeks for delivery' (remember those days?)... it arrived and I was maybe 10. Never mind the fact that I could barely cock it, hold it and had no knowledge of a 'real' springer... it was mine.
Years later at the age of 16, when cars and girls took over, I sold it. Listed it locally and a large older guy came and got it.

Years later after getting out of the Army, I got back into adult airguns and through the old Fun Supply forum, met Cecile Whiteside. Turns out, he lived nearby and it was actually him who bought my 36 years prior. He wouldnt sell it back to me and so I went to the auction after his passing to try to get it. At the time, I was on call for work and I ended up getting paged and missed the opportunity to get that gun back.

After the time in the Army? I didn't want to shoot for years. Then I wanted to but not a PB so went back to my roots with AG's.
I was amazed at the Power of a Hatsan 125 .25 compared to the AG's I grew up with! Long story short?
I now only shoot PCP .30cal and up. I do have a .22 cal Edgar Brothers XVI I'm working on for 50 foot matches.
Most of my shooting is with another Vet and that time together just plinking? Is like a medicine for both of us.
He's way younger then me and We served in different times and actions. But that does not matter.

The satisfaction of hitting the mark with a good shot never gets old to me.

Any target will do, but the sight/sound of a field target falling over after hitting the paddle is especially nice.

One of the courses I shot last year had a few evil clown targets- not gonna lie, found great satisfaction in knocking those suckers down 😱

Whatever your reasons for being a shooter we can all agree that it brings with it some emotions. We share some of those regardless of platform or pursuit. Thoughts of the “first time” you shot a gun. The sweet feeling of hitting what you’re aiming at consistently. Being able to handle your guns proficiently. Most long time shooters know that feeling. Missing our marks? All shooters know that feeling. We’re lucky there are so many good choices in the airgun world. And its just natural that some prefer one brand/platform over another. Its all good, we are lucky to have such a hobby.

Happy Shootin’ New Year!
Hello @L.Leon

Very well stated. Got my first real gun when I was 9 years old and my Daddy scared the heck out of me warning me as to what would happen if I ever miss-used it in any way. You would have to know my Dad, a true complete gentleman but the Devil himself was afraid of him. So I am 81 years old and I have never miss-used any of my guns and still treat them as if they were a Faberge Egg. Yes, we are so lucky.

Thank you Leon for that short trip back into my youth :)

ThomasT

Doubt I will ever forget the surprise I felt when I shot my first PCP. Daystate Pulsar in 22. It just kept putting pellets in one little tiny hole over and over again. I had no idea they were anywhere near that accurate. Five air guns later and I am still thrilled with the precision these things can shoot.
There is a constant challenge to air gunning whether you are punching paper or popping pigeons. Distance, wind, incline etc. all challenge us and if we meet that challenge satisfaction is a natural emotion.

Your thoughts are VERY relatable.
When you shoot competitive Air Gun sports such as BR or FT your playing a precision game requiring the best of the shooters preparedness, equipment and Skill !!
Shooting our Air Guns for poops and giggles enjoyment of shooting be it pesting or plinking is the sweet reward of just not caring as much while generally having an even better time.
One back scratches the back of the other (y)

I have ADD bad enough that it affects me. Shooting, fishing,uh sex and motorcycle racing required concentration for short enough periods of time that I was able to be good at them, though nowadays time has gotten in the way. Shooting is therapy for me; it is concentration and relaxing at the same time.

@Motorhead, I just lost a long time friend and shooting buddy, all we did was plink, but that was enough of an excuse to get together. Hitting the targets was a plus, the company was the real reward. Am feeling out of sorts, but that shall pass.
I too have LOST 2 shooting partners these past couple years ... can relate too the FUNK :cry:

I enjoy shooting and competition in general. When I shoot well in a match be it air gun or PB it feels like an accomplishment. Not so much when I shoot poorly but competition or plinking in the back yard, as long as I’m having fun it’s time well spent. I wish more shooters, especially the ‘serious’ shooters, could see that. They’d be better shooters.

Rick H.