• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

shooting both eyes open ?

Just learning to shoot with both eyes open, but I need something over my non dominant eye, I need some ideas what to use to cover my left eye.
I do where glasses. Thx Dave
To enhance my dominant eye in trap, I put a small target paster on the lens for my off eye. After a while you won't need it. Merry Christmas, Bill and Addi.

Reactions: qball
Eye dominance is not consistent. But if one side is significantly dominant, then you shouldn't have a problem in adapting to shooting with both eyes open. Whether swinging on a clay target or aiming a rifle, the dominant eye will furnish your precision and the non-dominant will add depth perception and field of view. In some cases, side dominance is less definitive, and maybe a patch would help with fatigue in long shooting sessions.

Seriously, Google it. Cheers.
The gentleman asked a legit question and you can't just answer it or ignore it? Naw it's so much more fun talking smack.

What problem is it for you to let the question be asked and answered?

Who knows you might learn something yourself.

Last edited:
You can put a piece of scotch tape over the lens to cloud it. Not sure I if it will effect the lenses on you good glasses though.

At our rifle matches we required use of safety glasses, so a lot of shooters would put tape on the cheap safety glasses for the non dominant eye.

It defiant helps to prevent eye strain. I’ve still not quite got it mastered. But like everyone else, still working to improve.

The gentleman asked a legit question and you can't just answer it or ignore it? Naw it's so much more fun talking smack.

What problem is it for you to let the question be asked and answered?

Who knows you might learn something yourself.
Oh come on now. My response to Google it was sincere. He will get a lot of information about the benefits and techniques as well as the difference in fine and broad focus. Much more than a few piecemeal benefits from us. Don't come at me with your criticism, it's uncalled for.

Oh come on now. My response to Google it was sincere. He will get a lot of information about the benefits and techniques as well as the difference in fine and broad focus. Much more than a few piecemeal benefits from us. Don't come at me with your criticism, it's uncalled for.
You get as much as you give in this life.

You gave nothing he did not already know and I gave nothing you did not already know.

Merry Christmas

You get as much as you give in this life.

You gave nothing he did not already know and I gave nothing you did not already know.

Merry Christmas
I guess you're just a contrarion. The first wood in my initial response is, "seriously ", as in " I'm serious". I did not fail to answer as you accused, I did not talk "smack". You pulled those accusations out of your butt. Now you're saying I didn't tell him what I don't know. What the heck does that even mean? Ofcourse I can't tell him what I don't know. Smh. His question appears to be simple and specific, it's not. For people who didn't learn to shoot with both eyes open, it can be challenging. There are drills for developing and/or enhancing visual acuity in your dominant eye. Heck, identifying your dominant eye is task one. Learning to separate and control broad and fine focus and learning how long each can be used takes time and many reps. How you use them matters. Target accusations, depth perception, equilibrium, field of view and more, improve when both eyes are open. The amount of information is huge, so the web is a great place. Best answer I could have given him. I know by now you are taking all this personally and have your heels dug in, so I don't expect you to get the big picture. Facts don't matter in today's society, so I guess you'll stick to your guns.

I guess you're just a contrarion. The first wood in my initial response is, "seriously ", as in " I'm serious". I did not fail to answer as you accused, I did not talk "smack". You pulled those accusations out of your butt. Now you're saying I didn't tell him what I don't know. What the heck does that even mean? Ofcourse I can't tell him what I don't know. Smh. His question appears to be simple and specific, it's not. For people who didn't learn to shoot with both eyes open, it can be challenging. There are drills for developing and/or enhancing visual acuity in your dominant eye. Heck, identifying your dominant eye is task one. Learning to separate and control broad and fine focus and learning how long each can be used takes time and many reps. How you use them matters. Target accusations, depth perception, equilibrium, field of view and more, improve when both eyes are open. The amount of information is huge, so the web is a great place. Best answer I could have given him. I know by now you are taking all this personally and have your heels dug in, so I don't expect you to get the big picture. Facts don't matter in today's society, so I guess you'll stick to your guns.
TLDR 🙄

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
I'm gonna' go out on a limb and display my ignorance.
What is the main purpose of shooting with both eyes open?
Edward
Better offhand unmagnified aiming stability.
Also, you can still shoot with iron sights that are obscured by a moderator, or a red dot obscured by your other hand in front of it (if you want to get experimenty with holds).

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSpook
Right Handed, Left Eye dominate is common, it can put you off about 6" at 15' give or take, this comes from my 2 decades of teaching bowling. It is possible to train yourself to switch that around or make them even, to a point, enough to where, when using an optic it won't matter. Now, for the real reason, from what I've learned, in a combat situation you need the data from the optic/sight eye as well as the situational awareness of the open eye. My good buddy is right handed, left eye dominate and it's a hoot watching him shoot. IMHO in a controlled environment does it matter if you have an eye closed, nope. But I've found that having both eyes open you can actually gauge the wind a smidge better.

I’m right handed, left eye dominant. I can shoot scoped or iron sights both eyes open but it takes some real determination and discipline to do it. And to top it off I have a short attention span, so that doesn’t help one bit.

To me the biggest advantage to both eyes open is your non scope eye doesn’t fatigue from holding it closed. Somedays it’s worse than others. For the most part I just close that non-scope eye lightly and if I notice fatigue I take a break. I have occasionally put a blocker made from anything. I’ve seen guys at rifle matches use matchbooks that they hang over the other lens of their glasses. Champions Choice and other competition shooting places used to make a clip on blocker thst could also flip up out of the way.
When I shoot handgun I shoot right handed but use my dominant left eye by simply shifting the gun over. To me shooting both eyes open with a red dot (reflex) sight rocks.
Good luck, try different things, see what works best for you.

I’m right handed, left eye dominant. I can shoot scoped or iron sights both eyes open but it takes some real determination and discipline to do it. And to top it off I have a short attention span, so that doesn’t help one bit.

To me the biggest advantage to both eyes open is your non scope eye doesn’t fatigue from holding it closed. Somedays it’s worse than others. For the most part I just close that non-scope eye lightly and if I notice fatigue I take a break. I have occasionally put a blocker made from anything. I’ve seen guys at rifle matches use matchbooks that they hang over the other lens of their glasses. Champions Choice and other competition shooting places used to make a clip on blocker thst could also flip up out of the way.
When I shoot handgun I shoot right handed but use my dominant left eye by simply shifting the gun over. To me shooting both eyes open with a red dot (reflex) sight rocks.
Good luck, try different things, see what works best for you.
If you watch olympic matches they use blockers, probably so they aren't distracted by the movement to their side.

Last edited: