Shooting at night.

I don't know really how to word this and keep it concise. Alot of my free time is at night. So I bought a couple of solar lights that are mainly used for lighting up bushes/landscape/walkway. This set-up is at 25 and or 30 yds. The 1st & biggest issue I encountered was eye fatigue. It really comes on quickly. The next was how cramped the eye box got. The next was HOW much more focus is needed to get those tight groups. It really opens up more challenges in my hobby. I also noticed with my 1 scope that has illuminated reticle that on one of my targets it helps and the other I use I'm better off with it off. My scopes are Hawke AMX so the cross-hairs thin. What do you all think ? Any other night-owls here at AGN.

HeyU

Night time shooting is fun if you can get away with it. Those issues you mentioned is probably related to how your eyepiece is focused. Clearly your eyes are strained to focus especially with fine reticle so I would recommend spend some time get your eye piece focus adjusted to your eye. Once eye piece is adjusted to your eye then everything else would improve.

Once in a blue moon I target shoot at night and I use an LED flashlight to illuminate the target from the side about 10 feet away, flashlight has different brightness levels. Eye fatigue can also be caused by "poor" lighting....my old eyes also need bright enough light for EVERYTHING like reading.....😂👍

Great point on brightness, we all need MORE light as time goes on. 🤣

During the day bright light helps our eye focus easier but as our eyes get older we can’t bend the lenses like before. It would help with properly adjusted diopter and/or try reading glasses when shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchibi
I sometimes shoot from inside my workshop at night. Keep the shop lights low. Then only illuminate the target with an LED desk light. The target is in a corner of the yard that can't be seen by others easily. Lights the target up very well but not the yard. Neighbors don't even have a clue. Sitting in their house with the AC on and playing with their phones.

I love shooting at night, the wind is usually way down compared to daytime. This is at 100 yards from my bench in the garage.
IMG_2638.png
IMG_2639.png

Reactions: Nealgl1985