Shooting at an angle

I'm sure everyone here will rush out and buy one of these! 

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Forestry-Pro-Waterproof-Rangefinder/dp/B005OLOWKO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41xGBAkq3VL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1KHWM705S4ASRJZPQS4E

The only thing it doesn't have is GPS! Yes the price is steep, but if you can't do the math in your head, this is your toy!

All this said.... I've have always had issues with shooting at high angles, and it is even harder if you don't know the BC of the projectile. So I cheat. One of the places I go to plink evasive birds, has a flag pole, without a flag. I hauled up a piece of wood, replete with "show&tell" target, and my trusty angle gauge, magnetize to the bottom stock screw. So, I know the angle I'm shooting at. Yes, it takes a number of shots to get the feel for the correct compensation, but you soon get the hang of it. While we all want a simple solution to any given issue, spending the monies for one of the above devices can be avoided if we use bit of ingenuity!

To do this quickly on the fly, just use the estimate for a horizontal shot. That is, drop an imaginary line from the target straight down (or up if shooting downhill) and estimate the range to that point. Your drop will be very close.

For instance, the target is at the top of a tree. The base of the tree is 25 yards away. Use your 25 yard hold and it will be close enough. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 

However, your wind dope will be for the actual yardage and maybe a bit more since the wind velocity is generally greater the further from the surface you get.

Gene93 from your other post about possible getting a BSA gas ram I am taking cues about trying to shoot pigeons at fifty plus yards. Once again there are a lot of problems with making that happen with that level of air rifle. As far as not using a range finder to find distance I would take a cue from field target shooters. They will use a higher power high quality scope and use the objective bell as a range finder. They would set out targets at every yard and you might get away at every five yard and focus on that target until it comes into clear focus. You will have a piece of tape around the circumference of the objective and place mark with the yardage for that distance. Do that for every five yards and will work pretty good for determining range out to about 55 yards. Then your carry your range card with you to determine hold over, mil dots or clicks depending on what you choose to make the shot allowance. The free program ChairGun Pro will allow you to determine trajectory, fpe and print out range cards or scope cap hold points. Get on you tube and look at tutorials on ChairGun Pro and you might look for info on field target shooting. Bill

Agree with range find with you scope , open reason I hunt on 20x, just takes a little getting used to, in a straight line to the base of target and you will be pretty close, should be able to hit a squirrel in the head at any reasonable airgun range. A side focus and large wheel makes this very easy and fast using your thumb to turn the side wheel while on target.

John