Shooting a Springer...for Dummies

Hi Y'all,

Since so many new airgunners are frustrated by the lack of accuracy they get out of their springers, I wrote an article for the American Airgunner blog detailing why the specific hold matters so much when shooting a springer. There's also a pretty stark demonstration of hold sensitivity in there.

Its catered to new shooters, but I wanted to drop it here since AGN has quickly become the go-to knowledge hub.

You can check out the post here:

Good article. Wish I had read one like this back in the 90s when I bought my 0.20 cal beeman R1. The worse it shot, the more tightly I tried to hold it, with degenerating results.

One small correction about the recoil: the first recoil is rearward as the Piston accelerates forward and then the recoil snaps sharply forward as the piston decelerates rapidly at the end of its stroke.

Good article. Wish I had read one like this back in the 90s when I bought my 0.20 cal beeman R1. The worse it shot, the more tightly I tried to hold it, with degenerating results.

One small correction about the recoil: the first recoil is rearward as the Piston accelerates forward and then the recoil snaps sharply forward as the piston decelerates rapidly at the end of its stroke.
Thank you for the compliment AND the correction - can't believe I flipped that after all these years of shooting springers... DOH!

Good read ! I will say that just one test per hold may be somewhat inconclusive. Try
doing 3 test groups per hold technique and then compare the averages. Just a thought.
Yes, of course. I've had that rifle for years and have experimented with the hold quite a bit. I included one group per hold for the sake of brevity.

Thanks for the comment!

So I am playing with the 30 yard challenge here. In doing so I dropped a Mueller 40x56mm scope on my TX200 III. I went out to sight it in. At that point I tried the artillery hold used here and my "bench" approach I typically use.

Note I am really green at air rifles. I have 2 months with springers and years in rimfire. After sighting in I shot 2 groups. AA 8.44 gr. 4.51 Diabolo pellets. It likes those out to 50 yards.

This is only 2 groups mind you. However it fits with my .50" to .70" groups at 50 yards and 3" to 5" groups at 100 yards where I usually shoot.

Artillery hold had .64"ctc for 5 with .47" for best 4.

Bench styled free recoil was .41" ctc for 5.

20220813_103011.jpg