• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Shooting a Fly at 50yards

I'm curious what optics are being used with these fly kills 🪰
I use 25 X magnification scope, so at 100 M, well i am at the limit, but when the fly land on the cardboard i put my splatter targets on a fly are easy to see even if its not one of the really big ones.
I do also some times put a little soda or other form of sweet stuff on the cardboard to attract flies.

Some times you drill a hole right next to the fly and it just do not move, which i think are amazing cuz scaled up to human size that would be like if a 1/2 ton steel object the size of 4 large acetylene tanks landed right beside you after falling out of a plane.

Some times the fly leave but after a few shots after a target it usually get back, little bastards must have nerves of steel CUZ i have scared them many times with the really close shots.

5a23847bfb30cd9db9b66380a63c5f66a597f5bb.jpg

Video with seziure holes after a few hours of shooting at splatter targets / dots, and then the fly landing where ever close or far from those.
A bit over 100 M shooting here, and not the sweetest setup on the day.

Last edited:
I use 25 X magnification scope, so at 100 M, well i am at the limit, but when the fly land on the cardboard i put my splatter targets on a fly are easy to see even if its not one of the really big ones.
I do also some times put a little soda or other form of sweet stuff on the cardboard to attract flies.

Some times you drill a hole right next to the fly and it just do not move, which i think are amazing cuz scaled up to human size that would be like if a 1/2 ton steel object the size of 4 large acetylene tanks landed right beside you after falling out of a plane.

Some times the fly leave but after a few shots after a target it usually get back, little bastards must have nerves of steel CUZ i have scared them many times with the really close shots.

5a23847bfb30cd9db9b66380a63c5f66a597f5bb.jpg

Video with seziure holes after a few hours of shooting at splatter targets / dots, and then the fly landing where ever close or far from those.
A bit over 100 M shooting here, and not the sweetest setup on the day.
Thank you for the explanation, amazing property and great shooting (y) .

Thanks for sharing your shots everyone, and thanks for starting this thread TheDaleness!
Here’s my most impressive shot on a fly. About 40 yards, I was shooting out of the window in the background using my Rapid .20 and the fly was standing on the leaf with the leaf curled up behind it, you can see the hole from the pellet in the leaf behind where the fly was lol.
I should have used the .177 instead of the .20 because I lost most of the meat.
Only one hind quarter left on the leaf.

5C8C9883-90A7-49E7-873B-ADC5B3C180A3.jpeg

Excellent shot! It’s our responsibility to allow a target shooting session to turn into a hunt when a fly degrades the target!
I even practice for fly hunting lol!
Edit: That was a pretty impressive group you were building too!

View attachment 331076
That's the funniest target + post mortem commentary I've ever seen. Well done 👏
Right back at ya: nice shooting! With this gun, the groups really tightened up after adding the carbon fiber liner sleeve.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your shots everyone, and thanks for starting this thread TheDaleness!
Here’s my most impressive shot on a fly. About 40 yards, I was shooting out of the window in the background using my Rapid .20 and the fly was standing on the leaf with the leaf curled up behind it, you can see the hole from the pellet in the leaf behind where the fly was lol.

View attachment 331382
Thanks davelarsen! And I second that: thanks guys. Nice shooting, photos, and senses of humor.

View attachment 331382
Wow. That would be an even more difficult shot without the high contrast of a white target.
How great would be to have all these shots captured on a scope cam at 1000fps? Especially this one bc we'd see the fly pieces flying through 3 dimensional space 😁