Shoebox F-8 Compressor troubles...

Hi gang! Looking for some feedback on possible causes for the issues that I've been having with my Shoebox Air Compressor. 

I bought it second hand from a Yellow member a couple of years ago and it was performing perfectly for several filling sessions. That is, until a couple of months ago when the pin on it's crankshaft sheared off at the weld. I took it apart and re-welded it, reassembled and I was good to go again for a few weeks. Then the pin on the piston side of the connecting rod sheared off at it's weld. Back to the welding bench and back in business. This time it lasted for one fill of my scuba tank and then the crankshaft arm spun right off of the shaft which connects it to the drive gear tearing apart yet another factory weld and bending the crankshaft arm in the process. I've ordered a new crankshaft and will repair the unit once again as soon as it arrives.

I fill my tanks to 3400 psi which is well within the limits of this compressor. Wondering if anyone else has run into this and if so, did you figure out what was causing the problems?

Thanks in advance.

razor62,

I left an answer to you on the AirgunWarrior Forum a few minutes ago, but have since thought about it more and would like to add that the cause of the breakage may be that you are exceeding the max pressure of your Shoebox. I have an F-8 Shoebox that is set by the manufacturer at max pressure of 200 bar (2900 psi), and the built-in safety mechanism (I call it the tipping block) located on the right side end of the pistons is set to shut off the compressor if I exceed 200 bar (2900 psi). It appears to me that you are exceeding that max limit by 35 bar, or 500 psi. My best advice to you is to immediately contact Tom via email [email protected] and get his professional instructions. If you are breaking these parts because of excess pressure, you may count yourself very fortunate that you have not experienced a catastrophic and very dangerous explosion and injury instead of mere broken parts!

NEVER NEVER take chances with HPA (High Pressure Air)!!! Exceeding manufacturer's design pressure limits is begging for property damage, injury, and DEATH!

DO NOT use that compressor again until you talk to Tom!!!

Please accept my reply in the spirit of which it was intended. I care only about your safety!

BeemanR7