• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shoebox compressor problems ?

I have owned my shoebox for a very long time now.. I really like it... easy to rebuild when needed... other than rebuilds I had no issues.. it is slow but I am never in a hurry to fill my bottles. I would buy another one if ever needed... very easy to rebuild and parts are always available from website... I have emailed many questions to them and that day I will always have an answer... I know there are people out there that disagree with me...but like I said .. I am not in any hurry to fill my tanks....
Also if you purchase, buy a battery power time gauge. It works off vibrations ... keeps very good time... They are listed on Amazon.

I had the gen 1. Had to rebuild it several times but not difficult.... as already noted. My main complaint was the noise. Quite loud. Gen 2 and later used a belt drive which supposedly was much quieter. They ARE slow but I really was not in a hurry. Bought an Omega and much happier with it. Quiet and a good bit faster with a much better shutoff and gauge, AND water filtration. My Shoebox was 400. When they got up to the 1100 area.... definitelynot worth it. 
Bob

I've got nothing but good things to say about mine. So what if it's slow. I've got plenty of time. Small sacrifice to make for simplicity, low cost, and ease of maintenance and repairs. Plus the Shoebox company stocks all the parts, answers every question, is prompt to reply, great customer service, and they've recently (GASP) lowered their prices!!! Faster compressors are really expensive, complicated, heavy, and overhauls may be beyond the abilities of many hobbyists. The worst that can happen with a Shoebox is a blown O'ring. Big deal. Back up and running again in just a few minutes. The cost? Almost nothing! For what I've saved in cost and repairs, I can afford a MUCH nicer airgun; and that's where I spent my money. No regrets. I'm not looking to upgrade compressors. Only if I had a whole household full of airgun shooters would I consider any other compressor. But it's only me and my wife and the Shoebox is more than adequate. We've got 3 PCPs, and one of them is a hotrod Condor that guzzles air. The Shoebox is still more than plenty good enough.

Technically it’s a booster not a compressor, if you don’t want to spend the big bucks that a quality compressor will cost it’s s a better choice than the cheap Chinese ones that I hate (big variance in quality) too much of a pot shot that you’ll get a good one.. Remember you also need a decent shop compressor to supply Air to the Shoebox not sure if any will do you may need an oil free model. The Alteros booster is another one to look at. It has a proven track record and the maintenance required is well laid out in videos. 

My F8 has run flawlessly. I did 2 rebuilds just because I didn't want it to stop on me at an inopportune moment. The rebuilds take very little time and are simple to do.
I have 4 different tanks that I fill. Have opened up my tanks and gun and have found ZERO evidence of any visible water or damage inside.
I think the fact that the shoebox is "slow" is part of the reason. This "slow" compression does not build up the heat like a faster compressor.

I jumped the gun when I bought my wildcat maybe I should have waited 2 weeks for the II but I am in no way not satisfied with my fx wildcat 22 its a bad ass and I love it I have been pumping with a hill pump 4 and from 150 bar to 230 takes about 60 pumps which isn't to bad I found if you wait about 2 seconds before pushing down it seems to lessen the amount of pumps I was all set to buy a shoebox and tank but I am gonna wait till the nomad which is supposed to come out in june and see what kind of reviews it gets if it doesn't look good I will order a shoebox thanks everyone for the info ,

I got mine used and has pressure problems. Which I was not aware of. It went up to 1150 and kept pumping and pumping without going any higher. I soaped it and found one leak at a steel line connection and fixed it.

Now it goes to 2150 psi.but will go no higher. I am just deadheading into a gauge on a hose for testing. Resoaped and can find no more leaks.

I am bamboozled. If the cylinders were bypassing you would think there would be a leak at the rear of the cylinder where the piston rod goes in and out.

There is no air bubbling out there either.

Mine is super quiet. It is an F8 with belt drive and felt oiler system.

The pressure cutoff is the old type where you adjust cut off pressure with a blade type screwdriver under a sliding shroud not the allen set screw at the back. 

The only thing I have not done is disconnect the pressure cut off switch and slide back the shroud and soaped the brass adjusting screw. 

I am using a shop compressor with a water separator and separator filter combo.I am mechanical but this tool. I need a little advise.

If this posts double spaced I apologize I can't get it to delete the double space..

08/08/2019___ I removed the pressure cut out switch and put in a pipe plug and pressure went to 3500 psi. and I shut it down. This was my leak. No noise and no visible bubbles spraying soapy water. I had to remove the pressure assembly since there was no way to get a wrench on the fitting while bolted into the unit.. Removing pressure the unit as a whole was easier than removing the piston assemblies to have room for a wrench.

I got mine used and has pressure problems. Which I was not aware of. It went up to 1150 and kept pumping and pumping without going any higher. I soaped it and found one leak at a steel line connection and fixed it.

Now it goes to 2150 psi.but will go no higher. I am just deadheading into a gauge on a hose for testing. Resoaped and can find no more leaks.

I am bamboozled. If the cylinders were bypassing you would think there would be a leak at the rear of the cylinder where the piston rod goes in and out.

There is no air bubbling out there either.

Mine is super quiet. It is an F8 with belt drive and felt oiler system.

The pressure cutoff is the old type where you adjust cut off pressure with a blade type screwdriver under a sliding shroud not the allen set screw at the back. 

The only thing I have not done is disconnect the pressure cut off switch and slide back the shroud and soaped the brass adjusting screw. 

I am using a shop compressor with a water separator and separator filter combo.I am mechanical but this tool. I need a little advise.

If this posts double spaced I apologize I can't get it to delete the double space..

The air IS bypassing the rod, but on the inside, back to the supply. Do a rebuild on your cylinders. It's most likely the smaller diameter one, but good idea to do both at same time.

In the below video it is the white orings that are likely leaking

Edit to try and get video to embed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9y2ft2xt0