• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shoebox Compressor Parts And Info

Aloha Airgunners

I have a first generation Shoebox Compressor 4500psi that I just rebuilt the cylinders. One of the Derlin cylinder nut ends (where the piston goes thru) 

was cross threaded...so, I’m hoping either someone has an extra to buy or know where Parts might be available.

Unfortunately since Tom closed the doors it’s hard to find certain parts—I’m just glad I had a couple o-ring kits from Shoebox as I didn’t know they closed up last year.

I’ve had this unit for about ten years without any problems. These first units were a bit slow - filling a Guppy tank from 3000 to 4500 could take 1 1/2 hrs.

I’m not a high tech guy but after searching around I come to understand that this Derlin nut could possibly be made on a 3D Printer-if anyone 

does this or knows someone who does I would appreciate the contact.

I am a new member on this site but was on the Yellow Forum and Airgun warriors for years. 

Thanks all

So at this point, I’ve replaced a few unexpected parts (bunting bearings, push on nuts, Delrin piston guide etc) on my 1st gen Shoebox #847

the machine seems to run good but is really not producing much air—- can anyone give a solution or suggestion — I don’t want to give up on this unit because of its simplicity and most better machines are out of my budget these days (retired, 71 & needing my shoebox so I can have some fun with my new FX Wildcat Mk3 Compact .25cal).

Would appreciate any info

Mahalo

It could be one of many things that aren't helping. My first though is that it is leaking somewhere. Second is that the check valve O-Rings are shot, or the springs, or they are plugged up. Third is have you replaced the piston O-Rings. My burst disc went out and I couldn't figure out where the lead was. I finally figured it out and replaced the burst disc and it's good to go....for now at least.

You may try OCO Labs, I believe that's where Tom is located now? If nothing else, they at least have some interchangeable parts that may be of use to you. I agree that the unit is simply made and pretty easy to work on, it's a real shame that Tom quit the line due to overseas competition.

I'm sure that someone else will jump in here with better information, I'm basing the above on items that have occurred with my F-10.

Good luck!

mike

Thanks Mike

There's air leaking from rear of the block cylinder manifold.

By chance is the burst disc located there? I've never removed this piece.

All I have is the original manual basically for operations and light maintenance & whatever is left on the internet.

Can the burst disc be bought?

There's gotta be someone out there that knows these compressors inside & out (there were thousands out there) and have a "Pay for Service" --(only wishing)

I'll text you back if I get this machine going--Happy Shooting

Sfish --=--

Yes, the burst disc is a 7.5K PSI disc and many places sell them. They are relatively inexpensive. To stop from taking apart the entire block, I measured where the disc was and drilled a 1" diameter hole through the back of the sheet metal housing. This exposed the disc, which was easily removed and replaced using a socket/ratchet. It's now open for replacement again at any time. When drilling you just need to be careful not to use too much pressure and damage the block. The bottom of the hole ended up being right at the bottom bend is, so pretty easy to locate. 

By the way, the OCO Lab site has the burst disc as well as Amazon. I bought a rafter of 5 of them as they are inexpensive.

mike

Aloha to All (Still trying to get this Shoebox running in the middle of the Pacific)

So I've replaced the burst disk & piston guide , replaced O-rings on both cylinders--it runs as it always did but not producing any air-I checked for air leaks with a soap solution & at the bottom of the cylinder block it's making bubbles--I've never removed the block so I'm not familiar with what it looks like on the bottom--has anyone had this or a similar experience?

Also, on the piston side of the bottom cylinder is there only 1 mini O ring needed? I think mine has only `1 O ring in between the 2 spacers ...As we know the top cylinder has 2

Sfish --=--

I don't recall anything on the bottom of the block, but there are a couple of small O-Rings with springs along the bleeder valve that may be causing your leak issue. And YES, there are 2 O-Rings n the small piston, just like the large piston.

Trying to attach a PDF schematic that another member was kind enough to get to me....

download.png
View attachment Exploded_View_2014_lrg.1638542343.1644899592.pdf

I hope the attachment works.

mike

Aloha Mike

The Shoebox schematic is greatly appreciated (I've never seen this before).

You mention the bleeder valve? Not sure which that is.

And to get to the Vent Assembly #37 does the Air Block have to be removed to access ?

Hopefully, I've attached
shoebox bubbles.1644959790.jpg
a picture of the Air Block with the bubbles coming out the bottom of the block -- thank you Mike, really appreciate your help

Sfish!

The bleeder valve is directly above the fill port in the picture provided (thank you). On the back-side of the block there is a flat plate (#112 Retainer Plate) with two screws, underneath that flat plate are two openings one has a spring and balls within (vent assembly #7), so be cautious when removing the flat plate. The other has a small O-Ring. There are also very small O-rings at the same openings. I might anticipate that those O-Rings may need replacement? I'm not 100% sure that one of the holes with the spring/ball doesn't have an opening at the block bottom....I don't think that it does, but that's the only place I can think of that the air may be leaking. The bleeder valve when opened, by threading the knob inward/into the block, bleeds air from the very small hole in the side of the block near the cylinder in your picture.

So, my best guess is that the bleeder O-Rings are bad and it's actually leaking from behind the block, yet appears under the block?

mike

Aloha Mike

I remembered that I replaced (1) O ring between small spacer & large spacer (#113 & 114) on the bottom cylinder, so I took it apart again and there was an O ring really lodged in the very bottom of the small spacer. I pulled that out and replaced it. It was not in good shape.

I started the Shoebox up and it started to produce air--I let it run for an hour and the psi went from 1150-1600...run for another hour and we're over 2000.

It was getting late so I figured I let it run one more hour before the day was over, went inside, had dinner went out to shut off the Shoebox and the gauge on my Guppy was at 1000psi??? The Shoebox was still running without a problem so I removed the Guppy & still good air coming out the fill port.

Is it possible that my Guppy gave out? The valve was very cold.

I don't have a seperate whip to attach a gun to the Shoebox, so I'll have to wait until a buddy brings one over to see if it's producing air.

And it looks like to get to the retainer plate, the air block has to come out--doesn't look like fun but I'm learning the ins & outs of the Shoebox. 

And the saga continues...

Thanks

S_Fish

Sfish --=--

When you removed the cylinders to do the piston fixes, did you move the pistons in the piston block by loosening the Allen screws? If so, it sounds like they need to be readjusted in length. There is a good video by Tom (the inventor of the Shoebox) on YouTube, just Google it. It will explain in detail how to adjust the piston length so that they can pump efficiently.

While you had the cylinders out, did you replace the O-Rings at the check valves? If there is any leakage there is will take a long time to build pressure as well. Recommend pulling the checks/springs/O-Rings and clean/lube/replace the O-Rings at the very least.

Tha should fix your issues. Again, most of this stuff is available on YouTube via Shoebox Repair/Cylinder replacement/piston refresh, etc.

mike