• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shipping to Avoid Damage.

The best offence is a good defense!

We send these things across the country all the time and are always concerned with how they will arrive. Is there anything that can be done?
I think so. Here is the method I prefer. Please share if you can think of improvements, or if other methods have worked well for you.

Start with a couple of pictures of the gun itself as proof of condition prior to boxing.

IMG_3615.JPG

Then separate the action and stock.
Next apply a light coat of oil and cover the action with shrink film to seal it from the elements during its travels.
IMG_3637.JPG
IMG_3632.JPG

Build a box to pad and protect the trigger mechanism.

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

The rest of the action is covered in bubble wrap and shrink wrap.

IMG_3638.JPG

Then placed in a cardboard tube protecting the ends.

IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3691.JPG

IMG_3640.JPG

Action complete.

Using a VERY strong cardboard tube or piece of wood, strengthen the forks of the stock (in the case of a springer).

IMG_3645.JPG

Once again apply a safe oil and shrink wrap.

IMG_3646.JPG

Then cover in Bubble wrap and cardboard, making sure to protect the ends.

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

IMG_3651.JPG

Wrap these two packages to each other securely. This prevents any damage from the action rubbing against the stock and also provides rigidity .

IMG_3652.JPG

Finally place this into an outer box, fill with packing materials, protect the ends (yes, again).

Now it's ready to go.

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

Unwrapping is a chore for sure but there is no sticky tape touching the gun and it will survive any commercial shipper.

Total cost of packing materials is about 25 bucks, but much cheaper than a hard case and, much better protected unless the hard case is flight rated and the foam is form fitted.
This also results in a package that is cheaper to ship since it is now about 8x8x36.
Best of all, it no longer even looks like a gun. I've never been asked what I am shipping when packaged this way.

Last edited:
Lewis, I hate all that wrapping when I get a gun. Around and around and around and around I've had to stop to shave twice working on unpacking that.
Get some carpet padding and that rigid angle cardboard stuff they use packing appliances and stuff to reinforce the box. And use the minimum amount of tape inside so I don't take 2 days carefully cutting it away.
Scares me when I see bubble wrap and packing peanuts.
Most hard cases aren't that great, the gun moves all around inside. They always use cheap ones.

Reactions: Lewis
Get some carpet padding and that rigid angle cardboard stuff they use packing appliances and stuff to reinforce the box. And use the minimum amount of tape inside...
Great ideas. let's keep them coming.

BTW the shrink wrap has no adhesive. I also hate tape. This stuff isn't bad at all.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
If you want to avoid damage, only ship with FedEx.
I work there (not the parcel side) and can assure you this isn’t true. Lol. Unfortunately all of the shippers damage things. Inevitable.

Great job Lewis. I will take the extra time to unwrap undamaged goods over being mad about broken ones any day.

Reactions: Lewis and whyzee
Very impressive prep work. I like folks that spend the time on the details that most would find ridiculous or too lazy to even try.

And Lewis is right about just relying on a guns hard case to protect the gun, it doesn’t guarantee non damage. All it takes is a hard impact on one end of the case straight onto a concrete slab and if your stock isn’t cracked or barrel bent, most airtube guns that rely on clamps built into the action will fail and the gun will arrive misaligned. Ive seen it

Reactions: Lewis
WOW...it'll never happen but I wish all sellers would take this much care in shipping their items out! Very nicely done!
Yea I wish PA would start packing there pellets again this way. They use to care.

One thing though. Don't ever say it's all carrier proof... Not to be neg but it's still a cardboard box and they can still break it. It's so sad what they charge now for shipping and how they treat out packages.