• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shipping cost?

I don't hold it against any business charging 'shipping and handling' on orders they lose money accommodating. That said, in my opinion it would make a whole lot more sense if they made it perfectly clear to (potential) customers that orders totaling less than $X will be assessed a handling charge of $Y.

In my four decades in retail I told only three customers, "I'm sorry, we can't do business". Best example was the last one.

A rich 'customer' (in the thirteenth richest neighborhood in the U.S. at the time) would, without fail, not only waste our time, but add insult to injury trying to beat us up on price(s) every time. He finally over-stayed his welcome trying to beat me down on the price of energy bars. When I told him, "I'm sorry, we can't do business", he said, "You mean you're telling me you don't want my business?" I responded, "I don't want anyone's business who I always lose money accommodating". At his response that where he shops his friends will follow, I pointed out the obvious, "And you'll teach every one of them to beat us up on pricing like you do! Have a nice day".

After ridding my business of that gentleman, I learned he'd only started doing 'business' with us after being banned from my competitor's bicycle store for the same BS. 

The CCP underwrites Chinese businesses selling in the U.S. I've ordered (online) two flashlight mounts totaling $4... with free shipping.

Here's hoping the fill probes cost Edgun West little enough to not go out of business absorbing the shipping and overhead costs to sell them for $28 (total).

I don't hold it against any business charging 'shipping and handling' on orders they lose money accommodating. That said, in my opinion it would make a whole lot more sense if they made it perfectly clear to (potential) customers that orders totaling less than $X will be assessed a handling charge of $Y.

In my four decades in retail I told only three customers, "I'm sorry, we can't do business". Best example was the last one.

A rich 'customer' (in the thirteenth richest neighborhood in the U.S. at the time) would, without fail, not only waste our time, but add insult to injury trying to beat us up on price(s) every time. He finally over-stayed his welcome trying to beat me down on the price of energy bars. When I told him, "I'm sorry, we can't do business", he said, "You mean you're telling me you don't want my business?" I responded, "I don't want anyone's business who I always lose money accommodating". At his response that where he shops his friends will follow, I pointed out the obvious, "And you'll teach every one of them to beat us up on pricing! Have a nice day".

After ridding my business of that gentleman, I learned he'd only started doing 'business' with us after being banned from my competitor's bicycle store. 

The CCP underwrites Chinese businesses selling in the U.S. I've ordered (online) two flashlight mounts totaling $4... with free shipping.

Here's hoping the fill probes cost Edgun West little enough to not go out of business absorbing the shipping and overhead costs to sell them for $28 (total).

I didn't ask for free shipping from either place. I simply placed an order. Edgun west includes shipping in the cost. I'm not sure what you are getting at...I didn't beat anyone up on price. I simply refuse to pay a ridiculous amount for shipping. 

"I'm not sure what you are getting at…I didn't beat anyone up on price. I simply refuse to pay a ridiculous amount for shipping." I'm not sure why you think I'm getting at anything, or what that might be. 

I don't think anyone holds it against someone for shopping price. But I do think some folks hold it against a business for charging enough to not lose money. In this case, with excessive 'shipping' costs that should have been stated as shipping and handling. I'm pretty sure I (an individual paying full retail shipping) could mail that probe for $4-5. I'm also pretty sure A0A relies heavily on UPS; not mail. Nevertheless I doubt it costs them $21 to UPS a fill probe. Which brings us back to my original statement.

"it would make a whole lot more sense if they made it perfectly clear to (potential) customers that orders totaling less than $X will be assessed a handling charge of $Y". That simple step would avoid a lot of customer ill-will. 

"I'm not sure what you are getting at…I didn't beat anyone up on price. I simply refuse to pay a ridiculous amount for shipping." I'm not sure why you think I'm getting at anything, or what that might be. 

I don't think anyone holds it against someone for shopping price. But I do think some folks hold it against a business for charging enough to not lose money. In this case, with excessive 'shipping' costs that should have been stated as shipping and handling. I'm pretty sure I (an individual paying full retail shipping) could mail that probe for $4-5. I'm also pretty sure A0A relies heavily on UPS; not mail. Nevertheless I doubt it costs them $21 to UPS a fill probe. Which brings us back to my original statement.

"it would make a whole lot more sense if they made it perfectly clear to (potential) customers that orders totaling less than $X will be assessed a handling charge of $Y". That simple step would avoid a lot of customer ill-will.

I agree

The 20 tins of pellets I ordered from AoA this morning cost me $22.50 for UPS shipping. The same number of of tins from Trenier would have been $26.95 for UPS. AoA is 1500 miles from me, Trener is 600. It isn't what the retailer charges, but what the carrier charges. If PA would have had what I wanted I could have gotten free shipping, but I won[t deal with PA. I would have gone with Edgun West myself or bought more stuff from AoA to bring the shipping average down.

I like to call and talk to someone at AoA when ordering... Just my preference.

I have bought small order/single items and I have always paid less being quoted over the phone for shipping than using the estimate online. It may be worth while to wait and get a hold of someone over the phone vs. online especially for smaller item orders?

Yeah, see if stuff is in stock on aoa's website then call it in. You have to remember, the site is setup with standard parameters and I'm sure they've been burned on eating some shipping cost for undercalculating. 

Shipping is never cheap, which is why for private sales when folks want to argue price if I'm covering shipping or asking for them to cover shipping on larger items, I just move onto the next. Not worth the time to argue. 

You have to get creative on shipping

I run the repair center for scorpyd crossbows. Shipping can be 130.00 through FedEx and USPS won't take it because the size of the box. 

So I get customer to let me take the stock off. It allows me to use a much smaller box dropping the shipping to 70.00 or less

Pellets can be a beat because of weight So I go with USPS flat rate boxes