• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shipping Charges - JFYI

I just sent a package, a FX Whisper T-12, from Washington State to Illinois insured for $500. The cost was $59.19 and the USPS was the carrier. I noticed on the box that was sent to me from AOA they shipped it UPS and it cost them $38. I didn't bother to go compare what it would have cost UPS as I am rural and would have to drive about an hour to an official UPS store. I am sure I would not get the same rate as AOA, however. I posted this as a question earlier and now have direct experience to share with the forum.

My company ships about 80 packages a day.. we switched from UPS due to lost packages. And the don't give a crap attitudes from them.. We do not insure our packages because as a whole we come out better. We mainly use Fedex now. We will be looking into USPS for the future..If I were to ship a rifle anywhere I would use a proper box and insure the heck out of it.. Ahh, the joys of online purchasing.. 

"JoeWayneRhea"I only use USPS and it's the one I've had best luck with ..Little side note about UPS stores . Many ( including all in my town) won't ship any type of gun . 

I have heard the same from others on forums regarding UPS. It must be a regional thing as our local UPS never seems to ask when we ship customer's air rifles. Either way, sad your local UPS won't work the you on air rifles.

"JoeWayneRhea"I only use USPS and it's the one I've had best luck with ..Little side note about UPS stores . Many ( including all in my town) won't ship any type of gun .
pyramyd air ships hundreds of guns a week via ups with no worries. I tell FedEx it's an airgun and as long as there's no live firearm ammo or an actual firearm they are fine with it as well. I ship 2-3 guns a week. 

I found out when I tried to return my Hatsan Hercules, that all the UPS stores are privately owned, and do not have to follow any UPS rules and regulations. I had a return label provided by AGD or Pyramyd (can't remember which), and the label came with a paper to get signed by the shipper. UPS store refused to sign the paper, then refused to accept it, even with not signing the paper. Told me I had to take it to a UPS depot. I gave it to my UPS driver next time he came with a delivery. He took it, no questions. However I did not ask him to sign the paper.

I was going to ship back a gun to AoA for repairs and they told me to tell my local UPS store that it was “Sporting Equipment” and leave it at that. For whatever that’s worth. 

For the occasional shipper USPS will probably be your cheapest option. Size of the package more than weight is the biggest factor for USPS uses to calculate cost. There are some options with USPS that are seldomly used that can also save you a lot of money. Registered mail is a service you can use cheaply but every seam must be covered with this weird paper tape . It is by far the safest means of shipping.

The reason why UPS stores ask what you are shipping is because firearms must be shipped from an actual UPS hub. UPS stores are not supposed to accept firearms. Most shippers know what a gun box looks like. UPS insurance is mostly a scam in my opinion. I have had one customer win but all the others never got a dime from the UPS third party insurance. They most often blame the packaging. The receiver has to be smart enough to take detailed photos of the damaged box before opening the package or it will be very difficult to collect. Also if you violate any rules they will deny your claim. Like telling them golf clubs are in the box instead of an airgun .