• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shipping airguns.

It is also against Federal regulations to not declare the contents when it is an actual firearm if it is an individual doing the shipping.
What does that statement have to do with this thread? Airguns are not firearms and discussion of firearms on this forum is against the rules (4) so I honestly don't understand your position. The carrier does not need to know what's inside the box unless there is a law that governs them carrying it. UPS stores are individually owned and are nothing but a pickup location for UPS when we purchase a label from a different vendor. No need to make life more difficult than it already is.

Reactions: Richieg
How does that respect the shipper when it's a DOT approved container for HPA?

All carriers have regulations for HPA. I believe UPS you can ship it by ground. USPS will ship it as "hazardous" and also not put it on a plane. If you don't want to disclose your contents, I would #1 drain the air, or #2 if for some reason you can't or won't do that, make sure it gets sent by ground.

It's one of those things where honesty is the best policy and avoids overcomplicating and overthinking the situation, and then something possibly coming back to bite you in the ass because you were not fully candid. It's just very easy to ship airguns without a lot of air pressure in the tank.

That was the only request from the local UPS Store and I think it makes total sense as a reasonable compromise to ship these things.

i have bought many airguns over the years from PA.
in the last year, i bet at least 6, and there delivered by UPS
so how does PA get away with it ?
i have sold alot of airguns and USPS delivered them.
i have never been questioned. i guess because i do
"click-n-ship" or pirate ship.
i use Fedex sometimes for larger combo packages, they just take longer and
are slow with tracking updates..... but never questioned about the contents !

Reactions: heavy-impact
That was the only request from the local UPS Store and I think it makes total sense as a reasonable compromise to ship these things.
Just know that the ups store is not the carrier. Ups stores insure packages themselves when you pay for them to package it. When you purchase a label from Pirate Ship and drop it off at the ups store then the ups store is just a pickup point like Walgreens and has no legal right to open or make demands on your package.

Last edited:
Reactions: silvershooter589
i have bought many airguns over the years from PA.
in the last year, i bet at least 6, and there delivered by UPS
so how does PA get away with it ?
i have sold alot of airguns and USPS delivered them.
i have never been questioned. i guess because i do
"click-n-ship" or pirate ship.
i use Fedex sometimes for larger combo packages, they just take longer and
are slow with tracking updates..... but never questioned about the contents !
That's my point. UPS is fine with it so I don't care at all about the opinions of the local UPS Store owner when their location is just a pickup point. I think many people are confused by the store name thinking it's owned and operated by UPS when it's not.

Reactions: gendoc
The UPS franchise store near me WONT accept anything related to firearms....ANYTHING. I had a spotting scope that was bad, was sending it back to be warrantied in the original box,WITH a supplied UPS shipping label, and they refuse it because it COULD be used with firearms. I told them I was a bird watcher but they wouldn't accept that. I had to take it to a hub 30 miles away.
That is extreme, and, to the best of my knowledge, not consistent with the franchisee restrictions. If you complained to the company, they might influence the franchisee to adhere to the restrictions as written. I expect the store owner is just confused and intimidated by the whole "gun" thing.

You buy insurance from the carrier with your label. Pirate ship will help if you have a claim but they don't insure the package themselves.
It's not insurance from carrier. You get 100$ worth when shipping ups. Then you can buy secondary insurance from a third party company. I dont remember their name and havent had a claim so I dont know if they're any good.

Reactions: heavy-impact
All my airguns arrived by Ups. I only ship them ups and have done that on a couple of sales and mechanical work at Airguns of Arizona before.

I have had very dumb individuals in the ups stores (experience varied by store) who ask a lot of dumb questions and make dumb statements like we treat anything that looks like a gun, as a gun.

PA has a UPS business account and THEY can ship from there....you on the other hand don't...different rules...as it was explained to me by a UPS employee.
Right business accounts are totally different than retail accounts. Pirate Ship is a shipping aggregator so they get very good rates shipping thousands of packages a day thru their account even though they don't actually ship anything. They become "the shipper of record" UPS or whom ever you choose doesn't know you exist if you ship through them. The carrier has the insurance and since NONE of them want to pay it it could get expensive to use and very difficult to claim. The cheapest form of insurance is PACK THINGS WELL to reduce the risk

If you print and pay for your own label yourself then where ever you drop it off doesn't really care what it is because they never took your money and really have ZERO responsibility for it at that point (except putting in the pile of other boxes to send that day). They probably don't want to know anyway ie: "Don't ask me. Dude just dropped off a prepaid box". For that reason alone even if PS was the same price it's WAY more convenient to use and you can pay for it via PayPal which make it even easier to use and totally outline the lines of the home finance department if you know what I mean :)