• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shipping airguns.

If you use pirate ship. The subject of our conversation. Not ups in general that's not what our conversation was about. You're stretching this to some how not be wrong. I'm done working on educating you on this. With your responses it's easy to guess your political affiliation.
You're projecting your weakness onto others. We were both wrong and right but mostly you were wrong and just wanted to argue before going ad hominem.
You may want to read the forum rules.

The insurance topic is all really a moot point. You’ll never get pad for a claim anyway, so why bother? Has anyone on here actually filed a claim with USPS, UPS, or FEDEX and actually got paid?
The only time I've filed a claim was on a ups store where I paid them to package and ship a TIG welder from SC to CA. UPS destroyed it but after two weeks of jousting with the ups store they wrote me a check for about $400 more than the machine was worth new. I did not get the shipping cost back but still came out on top. The store kept saying I had to take the machine to get a repair estimate. I told them I'm not taking possession of the machine after they damaged it and they needed to get the estimate. The stupid young girl that ran the store would tell me I just keep saying the same thing. If I had taken the damaged machine they could claim I damaged it further. UPS is always responsible for getting estimates and you should never take your damaged package until they settle with you. In the case of UPS Store which are individually owned and operated, the store owner pays the claim.

No, we were both right and wrong. You'd understand that if you read through it again. I was wrong when I said Pirate doesn't sell a separate insurance and you were wrong when you said UPS doesn't have their own insurance, so don't be a jerk yourself. At least I can admit my mistakes so grow a pair.
Perhaps its just a matter of symantics,

1) UPS the shipper itself does not have its own insurance but does it through its own 3rd party carrier, Insureshield, a subsidiary of UPS capital. Insureshield offers shipping insurance to the general public, regardless of the carrier. So for all practical purpuses, its is a 3rd party carrier owned by UPS and therefore, no real advantage to being "inhouse" over any other carrier.

2)UPS declared value is NOT insurance but just increases the carriers liability. Shipping Insurance is more comprehensive.
https://blog.ecabrella.com/blog/declared-value-vs.-shipping-insurance

Hope this clarifies things...

Last edited:
Perhaps its just a matter of symantics, but UPS the shipper itself does not have its own insurance but does it through its own 3rd party carrier, Insureshield, a subsidiary of UPS capital. Insureshield offers shipping insurance to the general public, regardless of the carrier. So for all practical purpuses, its is a 3rd party carrier owned by UPS.

Hope this clarifies things...
Regardless of the name the money goes to the same place. Most people don't realize that large companies, cities and states are self insured and have a third party handle claims. Many years ago I worked for my city. Every year they would hold a meeting and tell employees that insurance costs are going up but that's the best deal they could get. The truth was they are self insured and hire one of the big insurance names to handle the paperwork. It looked like we were buying blue cross but the city actually set the coverage limits and paid any claims. I had enough lies by my second year and told the employees the truth in a meeting right after the city manager had lied to them. He just glared at me for about 20 seconds and moved on.

I do get your point and thank you for your input.

But what about insurance? Being less than forthcoming may get the gun sent but what happens when you have to make an insurance claim and you're told you shipped a "prohibited" item and/or your insurance was for golf clubs?

Probably best to find a place that will accept an air gun, declare it as such and insure it. Know how and where you are going to ship from ahead of selling your item so you don't hang up the buyer OR declare it as something other than a gun and be prepared to accept the consequences if something goes haywire and insurance won't cover it.

Oh man, that scenario begs more questions; what if a buyer asks for a gun to be shipped insured, the seller insures, let's say, golf clubs or a pneumatic paper puncher and the gun gets lost/damaged and the shipper refuses to honor the insurance claim?

Is the seller obligated to reimburse the buyer legally? How about morally?

What should a buyer expect from a seller when asking for a gun to be shipped insured?

Thinking this through, I will request in writing that the seller declare, ship and insure the gun as a gun. That way I am on record if the seller takes his/her chances and declares and insures the gun as something else, there is loss/damage and the shipper refuses to honor the insurance.

Last edited:
But what about insurance? Being less than forthcoming may get the gun sent but what happens when you have to make an insurance claim and you're told you shipped a "prohibited" item and/or your insurance was for golf clubs?
Airguns are not prohibited. Otherwise they would seize every one spotted in scanners.

Airguns are not prohibited. Otherwise they would seize every one spotted in scanners.
I did have one time when USPS must have scanned my package at the counter because the counter person recognized it as a pistol without my revealing the package contents and would not ship (They didn't know that the regs do not apply to airguns). I now take the pistol apart or add something in it to not show the outline of a pistol and have not been stopped by USPO since.

This thread is all about shipping/receiving packages via USPS and UPS. Has anyone had experience with FedEx ?
Had a wooden table measuring about 3ft.x3ft. delivered. One corner of the box was crushed and broke as well as the table. the FedX guy threw it on my deck and said, he was just the delivery driver, make a claim. I tried to refuse to accept it because it was crushed and he turned and walked away. Called the place I bought the table from and they sent me another. DIDNT try dealing with FedX.