• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shimming a Scope

Just a point of info. The inside surface of both mounts must be parallel otherwise the pressure from the mount to the scope will not be equalized. If your rifle has a detachable scope rail you could shim the rear of the rail where it is going downhill from back to front. That is essentially what the FX mount does. The FX mounts are super easy to install Ted has a video.

https://youtu.be/OOj78x2EflI

For 20+ years, 
I used to manually shim my rifles if/when I ran out of elevation when shooting longer distances..
Yes, shimming will work, but as mentioned, if you're not careful or know how, you can ruin your scope, throw things off, etc.

Adjustable mounts and rings work Great for this though..

I didn't expect to have to get / use them, but, I got a few new guns and scopes, and instead of shooting long range, 
I've been stuck inside shooing at close [10m] range. The same exact thing applies - Elevation clicks run out. 
[The pellet can't hit it's max height in its curve at the given distance]

Hajimoto suggested I try the FX No Limit rings, I did, and they worked Flawlessly! I have two sets now.. 
I get multiples of my favorite scope, so same with rings, etc. to keep everything 'the same' w/ each rifle setup..

Anyways, as with other adjustable setups, the front and the rear will pivot.. 
This will let the entire length of the scope tube pivit [angle] with them - and keep everything true and in-line.. 

There will not be any misalignment causing spots to pinch/tweak when tightened into position.. 
No uneven stress anywhere.. And that is what is most important - so not to throw things off or damage the scope components.. 

+1 and +2 from Me for the FX No Limits.

I've swapped those two scope/ring combos around between 5 different PCP rifles now, and perfection each and ever time.

Without them, I wouldn't be shooting.

🙂👍 

Sam -

[Edit] Oops, itchy trigger finger hit the submit button too fast..

Another BIG piece of advise - and again, this was mentioned before and probably will be mentioned again and again.. 
TORQUE SPECS DO MATTER. Make sure that when you're adjusting / installing your optics 
that you're using the Correct / Recommended torque value from the manufacturer for the given components! 
They will differ depending on design, materials, etc.. There's no magic number..
It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you. Running into the same problem in my garage. I have been shooting at 10m and your take is right on.

My question is on the FX mounts how do you adjust the rear to lower it. Here is my email [email protected]. Not sure if this is appropriate. However, you have been a big help. Never had an issue with the other scopes and guns. For some reason FX impact is not too accodomating.

I have another question. If you unscrew the shroud that comes with the impact is there a barrel cap you can screw into the end of the barrel. The reason I ask this is that I live in New York, and the police sometime mistaken this for a silencer. My friend had an issue and was told to remove it and shoot without it. He was given a warning. Thought I would run this by you and see what you can purchase, if you really need to purchase anything at all. Of course, it is much louder.

FX NoLimits mounts without question. More tilt up or down than you'll need. Been using them for over a year.

What I do is center the elevation turret and then dial it down two full turns. Then I will zero the scope mechanically via the adjustable mounts. That normally gives me a lot of range to dial up for elevation.

Here's a close up view of my setup. You can see the gap in the rear mount quite a bit larger than the front.

1554904264_16887590655cadf4c8a7a9d0.84424453_IMG_20190329_184515687_HDR.jpg