• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Sheridan vs HW30s

I finally stopped shooting this lil HW30 long enough to pull out the chrony to see how it compares to my 1965 Sheridan, Bluestreak.
The HW30 averaged 490 fps, a bit more than the Bluestreak with three strokes at 466fps, and a bit less than the Bluestreak with four stroke.strokes, averaging 507fps. I'm shooting, Exact FT 13.73s.gr.
20231019_115513.jpg

Last edited:
I like this post. Two guns I picked up this summer were a Blue Streak and an R7(HW30).

The R7 has settled down to 630ish fps w/7.9g pellet. That's with a Vortek spring & seal.
I like shooting the R7 way more, reason being- the Sheridan has a peep sight and the R7 is scoped. My eyes prefer the scope.
But if I want to shoot a pumper, I grab the Dragonfly2 .22. Not as nice as the Sheridan or R7, but it will out-shoot both.

Reactions: .20calguy
I was only trying to see where the power on my new HW30, with the .20 cals, stood in comparison to a stock .20 cal Sheridan which I have been shooting for fifty years.

I've killed many squirrels with the Sheridan, and its an accurate shooter, with adjustable power, but I can't see well enough to shoot Crazy Eights at 75 yards with it these days.

The HW30 has a 5x24x50 scope on it, but the power is short for making the 75 yard trip with precision. I am having a lot of fun shooting at 75 yards with the HW30, but the elevation is off if there is any change at all in fps.The wind has been strong, and variable, and a challenge in itself. Scope cant is a major factor when the pellet drops thirty inches. It's like aiming a plumb bob.

With the HW30 zeroed at 30 yards, I have to aim 1+ inch, over the backstop to hit the bottle hanging on the string to the left. (Sorry the bottle is wrapped on shelf in this pic.that bottle hangs about four inches lower than the bottle in the center.) Lining the crosshair on string helps to correct cant. Although I'm zeroed at 75 yards now, having all those factors in sink to make hits is challenging.

20231021_084353.jpg

So the targets in the picture are at 75 yards?
The Hw30 is shooting 13.73 20 cals at 490?
Yes.
Sorry I'm late. I didn't see this responce in my feed?

20231021_073845.jpg
I have two backstops. One at thirty and one at 75. The Crazy Eights are white with a black backstop at 75, and they're black with white backstop at 30.
I just started keeping track and my best score so far at 75 yards, is thirty shots to complete the Crazy Eights. I can beat that at thirty "off hand." Lol

I like to do a little long range plinking with my 30s as well. Mine are 177. I've gone out to 108 yards with beer cans. Can hit them pretty consistently IF the wind is absent or at least steady. My muzzle velocity is over 200 fps faster than yours but 7 and 8 grain pellets have half the JSBs 20 cal BC. I'm gonna have to hit chairgun with this. Personally I find accuracy becomes exponentially harder as the arc at the end of shot steepens. When you are way out there you're more or less landing on top of something. Like a mortar or dropping a bomb. Still lots of fun

Reactions: .20calguy
Nice back yard range:)!

What kind of groups are you seeing at 75 yards with the .20 cal. HW30?
I haven't put it on paper yet. Not even to zero it. I shot it and saw the dust fly then walked it on to target.
Shhh. Thats my front yard. Lol

I have my target box repaired now, so I'll shoot some paper this weekend.