Sheridan Silver Streak

Bought my Silverstreak in 1979 at age 13 paid about $60. Was a great pellet gun with incredible accuracy. Lost track of it over the years but rediscovered it in my mother’s attic when I age 43. Rebuilt the cylinders and the damn thing shoots like brand new!

IMG_0354.jpeg

If at some point they had just introduced a Model D, (I think they actually had a pistol by that name), and just added dovetails to the receiver and a stock like the one on the Crosman 140 with a buttplate and a matching forearm that didn't run the full length of the gun they'd probably still be around. I know they were swallowed up by Benjamin and then Crosman, but had they made even token efforts at modernizing the design they probably wouldn't have ended up like Oldsmobile.

And that forearm has always been weird and ugly.

To my eye it looks classic (think Stutzen). Or as Snagglepuss might say; elegant, eve-vun.
But a Stutzen stock is one piece, slim and tapered. If Sheridan had made their stocks like that then I would agree with you. Instead, the grain and even the stain are usually mismatched, there's a large gap between the two, the contours don't match and it's weirdly bulbous.