Sheridan Sheridan Bluestreak Reseal Issues, Not pumping up....

Hello again!

From a recent thread that you (AGN'ers) helped me with, I am having an issue with one Sheridan Bluestreak in particular.
I resealed (using the 'newer' plastic seals) and refinished it. I took it out to sight it in and after around 20 shots, it would no longer pump up.
Took it home and went through the reseal again, using new lead seals, along with a new check valve (flat piece with a rubber face). Went out to resight again and the same thing happened.
I'm assuming that it's likely the check valve not seating. I also assume that since the springs were replaced, perhaps they are too weak to provide enough force to close the check.
Any sage advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks AGN'ers!

Mike

Reactions: .20calguy

muddydogz

"I'm sure you did but did you replace the pump cup?"
Yes, a new cup was a part of the reseal kit as purchased. There is no adjustment on the cup.
Thank you so much for your help.

JimBentley

"Did you firmly set the lead seals?"
I did not, I simply assembled and tightened. I will give this a try once I open it up again.
Thank you so much for your help.

Mike

Reactions: .20calguy
It would be best to think about what it is doing.

If the check valve is leaking it will push the pump handle back to release the air.

If the pump cup leaks, air will be escaping past it into pump handle area as you close it.

If it is the exhast valve leaking, You’ll hear it leak at the breech with the bolt open.

If it is the valve seals, where the original lead washers were, it will be leaking into the trigger area of the compression tube.

I will post a video of an exhaust valve leak.

Mike_Lenardon

Thank you, Mike. I already tried that trick....no dice.
Usually when the springs are too weak, pumping before cocking makes a 'fart' sound. The springs were replaced with the new reseal kit. Does stretching the spring work?
I'm missing something but can't figure out what it is.

Mike
Do you have the washer that seperates the springs installed?

A freind sent me a pic asking me the same question.
Lol
👍

Screenshot_20240409_190721_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I took the Sheridan apart and reused the lead seals, no dice.
I removed everything from the tube and noted that there were lead shards all over, so I pulled them out and cleaned it up.
Resealed using the same lead seals....no dice, twice.
I once again took it completely apart and found more lead shards in the tube. I'm thinking that while the lead reseal kits worked on one of the Sheridan's that I resealed, they were too large for this one for some reason.
I took it apart one last time and used some plastic seals that I had from a previous reseal and that worked....so far.
I gave it 5 pumps and left it for a few hours to make sure that the check didn't leak, it didn't. So, I popped the poppet with a wooden dowel and it fired. Great!
So, I gave the sealing nut another cinch-up and let it sit after pumping it 8 times. No air heard hissing and left it for a couple of hours.
Popped the poppet with the dowel again and it fired. Re-cinched it up to make sure that it was tight and it's been holding steady with 8 pumps.
I'll check it the morning and see if it held overnight.
Thanks to all that contributed to the thread, much appreciated!

Mike

Checked it this morning after putting 8 pumps in it last night and it sounded like a full pressure release to me (LOUD!).
I'm saying that it seems good to go....but I also said that the last time I resealed it and after a while it failed....so, I'll have to shoot it more to get a better picture on it's health.
Thanks again for all of the input and suggestions AGN'ers!

Mike

Checked it this morning after putting 8 pumps in it last night and it sounded like a full pressure release to me (LOUD!).
I'm saying that it seems good to go....but I also said that the last time I resealed it and after a while it failed....so, I'll have to shoot it more to get a better picture on it's health.
Thanks again for all of the input and suggestions AGN'ers!

Mike
Thats awesome. Thank for the followup.