Share your Daystate RedWolf 22HP Experience

My 50yrd shots from last week. One shot at the target for most of them... if I had a flier or two, I'd try again. The bottom right was sighting in.

75yrd groups were pretty decent ... however, the cardboard was repurposed for our next shoot. Towards the end of the day, 300 pellets, the groups started opening up. She's overdue for a good cleaning.

1535822272_18099706905b8ac9c0c9ae18.27057637_IMG_1717 - Edited.jpg

My 50yrd shots from last week. One shot at the target for most of them... if I had a flier or two, I'd try again. The bottom right was sighting in.

75yrd groups were pretty decent ... however, the cardboard was repurposed for our next shoot. Towards the end of the day, 300 pellets, the groups started opening up. She's overdue for a good cleaning.

1535822272_18099706905b8ac9c0c9ae18.27057637_IMG_1717 - Edited.jpg

Great shooting buddy!

Followup to Bob's question above... Michael, do you remove the barrel for cleaning? Does the scope need to be removed in order to pull the barrel out? Or can I remove the two set screws and leave the barrel in place?

I have 700 shots through mine and it's time for a thorough cleaning and new breach seal.

Thanks,

Carl

Initially I removed the barrel and gave it a good scrub down with JB bore paste, followed by a cleaning. Subsequently I've been cleaning it without removing the barrel (using a patchworm pull through) after each session. Which has been about 2 tins or 400 pellets. It was pretty dirty & hard a few lead shavings. It took about 5 passes to come clean. 

Yes you can remove the barrel with the scope mounted. As long as the rings are high enough & you left room to get to the screws 😉

Reactions: Tominco
I change the programming a bit more to hopefully yield 975, 965, 955 fps.

I didn't chrony it, but I think it's clear that it likes High & Mid power.

I shot quite a few sub 1/4 inch 5 shot groups at 50y yesterday. 

Notice how flat the Mid row is, just a little R to L breeze.

Michael, I had mine tuned a little and it shoots around 960. But, I have a descending shot string. Would you mind sending me a shot string? I fill to 250 and struggle to get 40 shots before it goes on low pressure. And it SOUNDS like there is a huge rush of air behind the pellet. I know electronics are different. I'm just looking to compare.

Thanks

Crusher

Hey Crusher, 

I have exactly 700 shots through mine and the breech seal is just fine. Last weekend it was shooting the 25grs a bit higher than my previous outings. Avg. 945 on high, shot count of ~80 shots per fill (240 down to ~170,175). Tomorrow, I'm going to pull the barrel, do a deep cleaning and replace the breech seal. I always put a dab of high temp vacuum seal grease in the breech groove to seat the seal on all my airguns.

--Carl

I change the programming a bit more to hopefully yield 975, 965, 955 fps.

I didn't chrony it, but I think it's clear that it likes High & Mid power.

I shot quite a few sub 1/4 inch 5 shot groups at 50y yesterday. 

Notice how flat the Mid row is, just a little R to L breeze.

Michael, I had mine tuned a little and it shoots around 960. But, I have a descending shot string. Would you mind sending me a shot string? I fill to 250 and struggle to get 40 shots before it goes on low pressure. And it SOUNDS like there is a huge rush of air behind the pellet. I know electronics are different. I'm just looking to compare.

Thanks

Crusher

I don't think I have any complete shot strings. The last few outings I shot each row (25 shots) on a different power. Next time I'll record how many shots I get from 250b fill. I think mine drops off about 160-165b.

What I have seen on 3 Daystates and my FX Compact is after the OEM breech oring goes i switch to a Viton oring and haven't changed them since. I'm sure that day will come but its has been a long time between changes. My .25 Renegade HP would eat factory orings like candy, switched to Viton no issues since. The RW was same way, the 22cal Renegade was the best for OEM oring life. Went around 12k thru it, has a Viton ring now and has held up. I have tried the silicone grease and didn't see much life difference for the oring before switching to Viton material. Grease or no grease didn't matter with factory rings. I use the slightest amount possible with Viton rings. 

I did change the o'ring a few times thinking maybe it was just a bad o'ring. But they continued to pop. I switched to nitrile and same thing. Lasted about 400 shots. So last week I switched to Viton. We'll see what happens from there.

And yes I always put a little silicone grease on the o'ring when installing just to be sure it seats properly and to help it slip into place. And like you Hookster, I put a small amount. Hoping the Viton is the answer.

Thanks for the input guys

Crusher

I’m using a Viton 75 durometer breech oring in my .22 Red Wolf HP. I inspected it after 400 shots and it still looked new. I’m at 600 rounds on the oring now at 51 FPE and have had no problem. 

I just won a long range benchrest silouette match with it this past Saturday 😁

It’s held in Waco, TX on the first Saturday of the month February through October. 

Crusher, thank you. I messaged you about the match 3 weeks ago, lol. It’s in our PM conversation. 

Rimfire and high-power airgun Bench-Rest Silhouette competitions are held the first Saturday of each month at the Central Texas Rifle & Pistol Club near China Spring, Texas (just west of Waco). The matches start at 9 AM; shooters should try to arrive by about 8:30. Non-club-members are welcome; the gate will be open for the match.
Rimfires are limited to .22 Long Rifle. No HYPER velocity loads allowed (high- velocity is okay). Airguns are limited to 100 foot-pounds, no larger than .30 caliber, and lead PELLETS only.
Scopes must be set to no higher than 16X in the match. Scopes without a 16X factory marking must be set to the next lower factory marking.
All shooting is from concrete bench-rests. A simple sandbag is allowed under the fore-end; only the shooter’s off hand is allowed under the butt-stock. No kind of mechanical rests, bi-pods/tripods, or remote triggers are allowed.
Targets are 1/10 scale, regulation airgun-sized silhouettes. There will be silhouette swingers at each distance for sighting shots.
Matches are 40 shots- 10 shots each at 60 yard chickens, 75 yard pigs, 90 yard turkeys, and 100 yard rams. Steel backing plates behind the silhouettes show your misses. Spotting scopes and spotters are allowed.
At a start signal, shooters have 10 minutes for unlimited sighting shots at silhouette swingers, AND THEN one shot at each animal for record.
There will be wind flags at the range. No other wind flags are allowed. Rimfire repeaters must be singly-loaded in this competition. Match entry fee is $10 per gun. Competitors may shoot both divisions.

Michael... wonderful groups.

Did you change settings on your scope when you changed power levels or did everything remain the same except changing power levels?

Beautiful pup, BTW! Dogs ARE the greatest!

I adjusted the turrets when I changed from 75y to 100y. And made a couple clicks here & there. But I did not change between low medium and high on each card. On hi power I did hold under half a mil on some of them.

That's really interesting because when I change power level settings on my RW .22, without changing anything else, my point of impact definitely changes (higher on HIGH power, lower on LOW power.)

Thats because I reprogrammed all my settings to shoot

High 970

Mid 955

Low 940

1f61c.svg

Michael,

Did you stay with 970, 955 and 940 respectively for high, mid and low?

The other Mark B.

Here's my RW .22HP experience:

I'm at 1800 rounds through the rifle now. Factory settings have been serving me very well. I'm quite happy with the rifle.

I'm getting excellent accuracy and high shot counts per fill:

RW .22HP on LOW power setting:

18.13 gr JSB @ average 853 fps = 29.3 fpe ES = 4 (great performance with the 18.13 gr JSB)

Average # of shots, per bar of air used: 1.65

Average bar of air used, per shot: .61

Average shot count from 250 bar down to 138 bar: 185 shots

RW .22HP on HIGH power setting:

25.39 RD @ average 920 fps = 47.73 fpe ES = 8 (great performance with the 25.39 JSB)

Average # of shots, per bar of air used: .89

Average bar of air used ,per shot: 1.13

Average shot count from 250 bar down to 150 bar: 89 shots

Some additional findings from today's testing with the chrony.

My RW .22HP shoots the 21.14 H&N Baracuda Match and the JSB 25.39 RD pellets with similar accuracy, at 35 yards, at all three power levels. It also shoots the 18.13 JSBs and 14.3 gr Cps, on LOW power, quite accurately. What a pleasure it is to shoot this rifle! And a really great shot count on LOW power, as well.

I plan to do some testing with the chrony and 15.89 gr JSBs tomorrow. I expect that the RW .22HP will like them very much.

My Bantam Sniper .22 doesn't like the CP 14.3s, nor any of the H&N pellets. But it loves the JSB 15.89 and 18.13 pellets.

Quite interesting how each gun is so unique in what it likes.

High 970

Mid 955

Low 940

1f61c.svg

Michael,

Did you stay with 970, 955 and 940 respectively for high, mid and low?

The other Mark B.

Yes, I only shoot the 25g pellets in my RW HP. I settled on 950, 940, 930 (H,M,L). My RW likes 940 fps best. I made High 10 fps higher, and Low 10 fps lower. This way when the temperature/climate (altitude density) changes; I can simply change the power level to always shoot about 940 fps.

Here's my RW .22HP experience:

I'm at 1800 rounds through the rifle now. Factory settings have been serving me very well. I'm quite happy with the rifle.

Average shot count from 250 bar down to 138 bar: 185 shots

RW .22HP on HIGH power setting:

25.39 RD @ average 920 fps = 47.73 fpe ES = 8 (great performance with the 25.39 JSB)

Average # of shots, per bar of air used: .89

Average bar of air used ,per shot: 1.13

Average shot count from 250 bar down to 150 bar: 89 shots

My what a difference 20 fps makes. My RW prefers 940 fps. In order to keep my ES in the single digits I can only shoot from 250b - 180b for 45 shots. I'm surprised you can shoot down to 150b and still keep the ES to 8?