Shadow (Uragan Compact) HATES Hades pellets…but…it does like…

First I hope that everyone in the USA is having a great Memorial Weekend and are able to get out and do some shooting.

I already know Shadow (my uragan compact in 177) loves the 10.34 gr JSB Heavies, but well, why leave well enough alone. So I had hades to burn, and I finally made it to the range today to see if the paper proved the viability of the Hades in Shadow based off the shot string data.

After spending my time at the range shooting at 25 and 50 yards before it started to rain, yet again, but at least isn’t snowing like it will be tomorrow in Idaho. Anyways, after trying and trying and the range master scoping my target after he me say many times, “you got to be kidding me” when i had a hades flier of 2 inches at 25 yards. I concluded the previous range visit was correct, Shadow hates the Hades, like I hate red beets (I seriously hate red beets 🤮)

However, there was a surprise. I brought 12.5 gr NSA slugs and there is some promise, but I probably need to adjust the hammer spring, but good for now.. I also tried JSB 10.03 gr. Knockouts, speed 854 FPE. I got quarter sized groups at 50 yards for 5 shots. Below is a photo of the KOs and hades. I should have brought some heavies. I will say towards the end it started to rain, however, considering I think the groups are not bad for a gun that isn’t supposed to like slugs. ( will post photo of target when it is working)

My vulcan 3 also do well with the 12.5 NSA slugs, but not the most tested ones, but i will shoot them soon as i just decided to use up the last 3 boxes of them i have and focus on a little heavier stuff in the future..

I shot ( out of my Maverick ) some heavies ( FX ) at 90 M yesterday in winds over the left shoulder that even knocked slugs well off course, so took some dialling not least on the horizontal dial.

But they actually shot pretty decent but OMG have they bleed a lot of power before they get there VS the slugs, the tap as they hit the Dodge Ram charger fender was significant lower compared to when a slug do the same. Also harder to see the impact point.

For sure i am going to try that some more on a summer day with 0 winds, and using some splatter targets.

PS: i have not tried Hades in the Vulcan 3 yet, put those aside as my Maverick sure as hell do not like them.

First I hope that everyone in the USA is having a great Memorial Weekend and are able to get out and do some shooting.

I already know Shadow (my uragan compact in 177) loves the 10.34 gr JSB Heavies, but well, why leave well enough alone. So I had hades to burn, and I finally made it to the range today to see if the paper proved the viability of the Hades in Shadow based off the shot string data.

After spending my time at the range shooting at 25 and 50 yards before it started to rain, yet again, but at least isn’t snowing like it will be tomorrow in Idaho. Anyways, after trying and trying and the range master scoping my target after he me say many times, “you got to be kidding me” when i had a hades flier of 2 inches at 25 yards. I concluded the previous range visit was correct, Shadow hates the Hades, like I hate red beets (I seriously hate red beets 🤮)

However, there was a surprise. I brought 12.5 gr NSA slugs and there is some promise, but I probably need to adjust the hammer spring, but good for now.. I also tried JSB 10.03 gr. Knockouts, speed 854 FPE. I got quarter sized groups at 50 yards for 5 shots. Below is a photo of the KOs and hades. I should have brought some heavies. I will say towards the end it started to rain, however, considering I think the groups are not bad for a gun that isn’t supposed to like slugs. ( will post photo of target when it is working)

i have the same results from my HW100. it can't put the hades in a group smaller than 1.25"

@ 35yrds !!!! but the 10.34 jsb heavies are touching at that distance.

tried the nsa 12.5gr, jsb ko's and mako 10.5 with poor results.

i'm sure i can get them better with adjustments but it shoots so good with the heavies,

i'm not going to touch it !

After spending my time at the range shooting at 25 and 50 yards before it started to rain, yet again, but at least isn’t snowing like it will be tomorrow in Idaho. Anyways, after trying and trying and the range master scoping my target after he me say many times, “you got to be kidding me” when i had a hades flier of 2 inches at 25 yards. I concluded the previous range visit was correct, Shadow hates the Hades, like I hate red beets (I seriously hate red beets
1f92e.svg
)

That's disappointing, I purchased 4 Tins of the Hades hoping since they were the same weight as my all time favorite Heavies that shoot great in every Rifle I have. I also had high hopes for the KO's. I have confirmed the Ultra Shocks were poor performers out of my Uragan Compact. When my new Range is complete I will be testing both the Hades and KO's. Thanks for sharing your results.

That’s just weird, Hades is basically 10.3 hades with some design on the nose and slightly different skirt depth. In my guns they not only shoot with same accuracy but same exact POI. Very curious on what the cause is.

could be wind turbulence within the moderator....maybe ??

i have not shot them without it yet because i like the silence of the HW100 !

could be wind turbulence within the moderator....maybe ??

i have not shot them without it yet because i like the silence of the HW100 !

Maybe? Very strange because they have basically same exact size and weight so if something would cause the gun to spray one pellet it should do it to the others being they are basically identical. This is one interesting mystery! 

In the guns I tuned for the 10.3/hades I can switch between the heavy and hades and one would go into the hole the other made at my zero of 20 yards regardless. Even in my Thomas I can't tell heavy apart from hades from POI out to 34 yards, they even have the same BC! 

@blackpaw: what's the compact barrel length? You might be over running the barrel a little with valve open for too long, does the muzzle report sound a little farty? shorter barrels are much harder to tune for optimum speed. However this doesn't explain the vast difference between heavy and hades, have you tried to slow it down? What is your reg pressure? Shorter barrel requires much higher reg pressure to shoot well at the similar speed as longer barrel. 

EDIT: NM, found the barrel length it is 360mm. That is quite short so tuning could be tricky especially with slugs, again still surprised it doesn't shoot Hades well because my 300mm Dreamline compact shoots them pellet on pellet but I only shoot them at 10fpe or 675 fps. Have you tried 750fps to 800fps range to see if the accuracy improves? My crown shoots the heavy and hades extremely well at 20fpe or 920 fps with 380mm barrel but my reg is at 145 bars.