• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

SFP scope W/ side parallax for range finding ?

From what I see, most use SFP. I have seen FFP, this past weekend even. It is personal preference. Depends on what you like. Scopes should always be personal preference. What are you looking for in the reticle? If you like a larger reticle most of the time, and don’t want to do calculations when using the reticle, use FFP.

I actually prefer FFP all around, especially because it makes reticle subtension calculations faster. That being said, I use SFP in FT because of the higher magnification in Open class.

SFP is the norm, most shooters at our club use SFP’s but there are a couple that use FFP, myself included and not really by choice, lucked out and had a 3-18x on hand that ranges to 10yds and is clear at 16x too, but SFP would be my preferred choice by far. Problem to run into w ffp is the size of the reticle at 16x can be almost too small if the max mag is too high. But really its acting as a sfp anyway if it sits at one magnification most of its life.

But really its acting as a sfp anyway if it sits at one magnification most of its life.
Good call… This… most of the time, it is going to be on the same magnification, so as long as you like the reticle, it doesn’t matter if it is FFP or SFP. Especially in something like Hunter where 16x has enough field of vision to find your target, and is already low enough for standing/kneeling lanes.

Thankyou very much for ALL the thoughtful answers , ill try both i guess since i have both .

Some of the reasons for people not liking FFP is completely valid but they boil down to reticle design. Don’t write of FFP because some reticles are not to your liking, there are so many choices now with excellent reticles, plus personal preference also plays into this. I like a well designed Christmas tree reticle for HFT but many don’t. You really won’t know till you shoot a few matches with it.

Last edited:
Reticle in a FFP is important. I have always used a SFP scope because on the FFP most of the time I can't use the lower third power because the reticle can't be seen by my eyes. But for about a year I am using a FFP Athlon ares etr 3-18x50 It is a nice scope and the reticle can be used pretty good down on the low powers. A drawback is there is not a 16x graduation so I shoot it on 15x for HFT and at 15 the reticle is nice even for my old eyes. This is the best scope I have used for FT. Another drawback it is a big heavy scope, but my wolverine isn't a rifle I am going to be packing around anyway. I had it on my Taipan standard and it felt to big.

I recently made the change to FFP for HFT, I by no means have the experience that Motörhead has, but I like the scope, I like the size of the reticle when I’m at 16x, and for the money that I spent on it…I’m not in a rush to change back. I tend to only reduce it to 12x not any less, when shooting in the forced positions. Yes there is some wobbling, but I find that I can choose when to fire based on when I can repeatedly and predictably cross over the target zone, I time the shot with my heart beats, and breaths.
458A14A6-45BF-4CC0-A9E2-9C48E99734B9.jpeg

That is the BIGGEST issue by far for those who shoot HUNTER class's, That of the soft / spongy parallax accuracy past 40-45 yards.
Some scopes at 16X ( Hunter class maximum ) indeed are more definitive at this than others. Only handling and using for a spell can one really get a feel for how well any given brand or model scope is better or worse than another.

In my own 10+ year journey in competitive FT, only scope I found that has good parrilax ranging capabilities and a reticle that in intuitive and scaled to work really well at the FT game has been the Optisan / MTC VIPER Sadly and unknowing the why for ? it was discontinued in @ 2016 or so becoming obsolete.

Also of note is how snappy in focus a scope in at the low end of ranges @ 10-15 yards. There too some scopes are muddy to snap in or out inside a yards accuracy where in the game of FT is equally as important as the further ranging.

YES INDEED not all snazzy looking fancy looking retical scopes be them FFP or SFP are up to the task of being any good for the FT game ....

Last edited: