• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Setting up a scope for WHFT.

Hi all,

Some of you may know me, others may not. My name is Paul Oswalt and I'm the MD here at East Alabama HFT.

What I would like to do is answer any questions that you may have about Hunter Field Target, how it differs from the AAFTA Hunter Class and of course how easy it is to get involved in HFT.

I would like to start by explaining how I set up my optic for HFT. One of the great things about this sport is that you can shoot it with almost any scope, even a fixed power with fixed parallax. I shot all last season with a Bushnell 10x40 Mildot that came from the factory with a 100 yard parallax. But if you have a scope with an adjustable parallax then it's very easy to set up.

First, you'll need to be somewhere between 8x and 12x with a parallax setting in the 23-30 yard neighborhood. I currently have a Bushnell 3200 5-15x40 AO mildot. (I picked it up used for $175 IIRC) It is set for 10x and a 30 yard parallax. What this gives me is perfect focus from 20 yards to 40 yards. 45 yards (max distance) and the image is a bit out of focus but not to much. Inside of 15 yards and thing are quite fuzzy. But think of these as indicators of range.

I zero for 40 yards. And that's the last clear target I can see. So if it's blurry, it's beyond 40 and I need to hold over. Same thing on the near side. Everything that is clear is over my line of sight and I'm holding under. Super easy and intuitive. I just confirmed my DoPE for my rifle today. The arc from 8 yards to 45 yards is about 1.3 inches. That's not very much. And most all of us can see 10 yard differences between 10 yards and 40.

This game is the closest representation to actual hunting as anything played with airguns. Think stalking meets 3D Archery. When you are stalking and game appears very close and offers a shot, you'll have to be quick and know where your rifle hits when the target is not quite in focus. A squirrel at 13 yards is probably not going to stick around for you to move and focus your scope. You'll have to aim and shoot. And if it's far enough away to be completely out of focus then you should pass on the shot or stalk closer. So it reinforces ethical hunting practices as well.

The scope situation is what makes the sport for me. Set your glass up, confirm before the match and don't touch it. Know where your pellet will hit at distance. And it's a 12 fps game so if you do want to branch off into WFTF you already are familiar with the trajectories and wind calls. And most WFTF guys have an extra rifle or two and could set up one very inexpensively for HFT because of the scope situation.

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I'll help any way I can. Bring what you have and have fun. As long as it isn't over 20 fpe you can come play (I need to protect my targets) and see if you like it.

All the best!

Paul

Reactions: JamesD.
Paul,

I shot a couple of HFT matches when I was in England. I used the same gun that I had just shot at the WFTF World match. I set my 6-24x50 FFP scope to about 10x, with a 23yd focus and zeroed at about 27yds. The fuzzy image was not the main problem for me. The main problem was the severe parallax error when out of focus. Without having perfect eye center on the scope, my POI was way off my POA. The large objective and large FOV are a disadvantage in HFT. Many competitors used 24mm and 32mm objective lenses which have a narrower eye position and more forgiving depth of field. You are not allowed to use ocular reducers or objective reducers. So a smaller objective lens is a desirable feature. That combined with a very consistent cheekweld (which I don't have). Other than that it was a fun game. But with 30 lanes and only one shot per lane, there is more getting up and down and less shooting.

This guy was one of the better shooters at an HFT match that I participated in. He only missed a couple. Check out the scope:

1580095188_6691212285e2e56d47589e9.68113920_IMG_2229.JPG

Paul,

I shot a couple of HFT matches when I was in England. I used the same gun that I had just shot at the WFTF World match. I set my 6-24x50 FFP scope to 23 yards focus and zeroed at about 27 yards. The fuzzy image was not the main problem for me. The main problem was the severe parallax error when out of focus. Without having perfect eye center on the scope, my POI was way off my POA. The large objective and large FOV are a disadvantage in HFT. Many competitors used 24mm and 32mm objective lenses which have a narrower eye position and more forgiving depth of field. You are not allowed to use ocular reducers or objective reducers. So a smaller objective lens is a desirable feature. That combined with a very consistent cheekweld (which I don't have). Other than that it was a fun game. But with 30 lanes and only one shot per lane, there is more getting up and down and less shooting.

This guy was one of the better shooters at an HFT match that I participated in. He only missed a couple. Check out the scope:

1580095188_6691212285e2e56d47589e9.68113920_IMG_2229.JPG

Hey Scotchmo,

Totally agree. There is a couple of work around for that situation if you're stuck with a larger objective. First is to install a kisser on your stock to help repeat position. The other is to mount your scope a bit more forward so that you encounter a black ring around the image in the scope. I employ this to great effect. If you are canted off to one side, up or down or whatever then it will show up here. Or buy one of the MTC scopes (which aren't all that expensive compared to FT glass). Thanks for the input. If you find yourself down this way, please stop in. I would love to meet up and do some shooting!

Paul

Paul, I shot my first hft this Saturday and had a blast I use an NCStar 4x16 with a 10 to infinity parallax 

I can see where you're coming from when you mentioned this is the closest you can get to 3D and hunting.

I discovered that when I did not overthink the shot I hit more targets then when I tried to do all the calculations. 

I do a lot of bigbore air rifle hunting for pigs so there has been a lot of ... Not what I would call snap shots but some fast standing unsupported shots or for lack of better words instinctive shots.

Even the very close in aspirin size FT that gave me fits( missed almost all )when I sat on a bucket. I hit when I shot standing because I would stand ready shoulder and shoot all in a smooth motion, knowing not doing so would cause me to start "rocking" off on my sight picture due to wind and arm fatigue 

I have a lot more shooting and tuning to do to get myself and my rig locked in 

Thanks for the tips 

@Willie14228

IKR!! It’s so much fun! But I think you were shooting AAFTA Hunter Division.

I was referring to setting up a scope for HFT. Hunter Field Target. It falls under the World Hunter Field Target Organization. Similar to the WFTF that is shot at the AAFTA clubs.

Here’s a link. https://www.whfto.com/

Not too many places around that shoot HFT but hopefully you can come over to Alabama and give it a go. Your setup is perfect! But even if you can’t, just have fun!!

Paul

@Willie14228

IKR!! It’s so much fun! But I think you were shooting AAFTA Hunter Division.

I was referring to setting up a scope for HFT. Hunter Field Target. It falls under the World Hunter Field Target Organization. Similar to the WFTF that is shot at the AAFTA clubs.

Here’s a link. https://www.whfto.com/

Not too many places around that shoot HFT but hopefully you can come over to Alabama and give it a go. Your setup is perfect! But even if you can’t, just have fun!!

Paul

Lucky enough I am a Match Director 

If there is enough shooters who want to give it a go I'm game, 

I've competed in archery Deermans Championship which is much closer to true hunting as it forces the shooter to adjust stance and position to the target, the killzone is also more realistic to the animal and striking any part of the target other than Killzone deducts points from scorecard (a clean miss is 0) it's a nice change from the formal comps and a lot of fun

Does any other club shoot this category in the USA? If not y not just shoot the Hunter class everyone else is shooting?

@Kdog

The two are totally different games and you gotta start somewhere. 

They could be run concurrently at the same club with a little imagination.

HFT reminds me much more of hunting or other sports designed to mimic hunting, i.e. 3D Archery. You have to be a good range estimator and you have to be able to shoot from various positions, supported and unsupported prone, supported and unsupported kneeling and the same from standing. And you can’t touch your scope.

Also, it’s a 12fpe game so it’s easier on the targets and allows for use of targets like the Gamo brand so it’s cheaper for a club to get started on limited funds And it helps learning to call the wind at 12 fpe if one wanted to give WFTF a try later

Granted, it’s not for everyone but I love it!!